Community Message Boards

Thread: Butter or margarine in cookies

Butter or margarine in cookies

I have just made (sort of) my favorite gingersnap recipe for the second time with butter, not margarine. Both times the cookies came out very different than usual, and not nearly as good. This is the only recipe I've used where I've seen a huge difference when using one or the other. Can anyone explain this to me? I don't get it!

I don't know if I can explain it but I always see a HUGE difference in cookies made with butter vs. margarine. I always use margarine because I hate the way cookies with butter come out - in my experience its mostly texture. It seems that butter cookies are crispier, crumblier and always feel greasy to me. Margarine tends to make more substantial, more even textured cookies, not always chewy but a better consistency - but again, that's just my experience and a personal preference. (Though I always get raves on my cookies, all made with margarine, and everyone seems to love them so I don't think its a bad difference.)

I think it's a matter of what you are used to, and how the recipes were developed. If a recipe was developed for margarine specifically, I think it's rare that you get the same results (or better) with butter. And the same in reverse, in many cases. For instance, I would never attempt shortbread with margarine. Perhaps in the case of your gingersnaps, the recipe was developed for margarine, so your results with butter were not the same. In any case, it sounds like you were used to the results you got with margarine and liked them, so I'd go back to the margarine!
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

Thanks for your comments/suggestions. I will go back to margarine for this recipe; the "butter" gingersnaps are edible, but certainly don't resemble the cookies I thought I was making.