Community Message Boards

Thread: The Moral ABC & Dr. Bronner - Questions

The Moral ABC & Dr. Bronner - Questions

I was introduced to this product through the BB! I fell in love with the liquid soap! The mint one! Makes my body tingle when I get out of the shower! Awesome!

But I have a question! And maybe you can help!

See the bottle is loaded with all these quotes and such!

Are you annoyed by the exclamation marks yet?
    BECAUSE I AM!

I am not fond of all those exclamation marks. Makes me feel like there is some Sunday morning t.v. preacher guy trying to get me excited about God and jump up and down and sing. I am not familiar with this Moral ABC or whatever it is Dr. Bronner is trying to tell me while I am naked in the shower. Is it a religious thing? (And we are NOT going to debate religion on this thread). I simply want to know what the heck all this stuff is about.

Here are some examples:

"Essene and other birth control methods must reduce birth or Easter isle type overpopulation destroys God's spaceship earth!"

"Thank God we don't descent down from perfect Adam & Eve to sinful sinner, brother's keeper, divided slave! Thank God!"

"Listen children eternal father eternally one!"

Please tell me what all these words all over my soap mean. And why there are 100 exclamation marks!!!

Beth,

Have you checked out his website?

http://www.drbronner.com/

There's some background information there on his philosophy.

I have LOVED Dr. Bronner's soaps since college. Especially in the winter, there is nothing better than a steamy shower infused with Dr. Bronners Peppermint soap. Ahhhhh.

Now this is my own personal opinion, but I think the guy was a little nutty. Great soap maker, though!
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

Oh, dear. He's mentioned in a caption as The Pope of Soap.

'Nuff said, methinks.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

mmmm... Can't help you out with your question but I love using the lavender or mint soap as liquid hand soap. This is the only stuff I can use as handsoap and not have my hands = sandpaper.

~emilie~
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/

Originally posted by Robyncz
    Now this is my own personal opinion, but I think the guy was a little nutty.
    Okay, I didnt want to say it, so I am glad you did!

I will have to check out his site and read. Honestly I had never heard of the Moral ABC until I bought his soap. And all those quotes seem a little insane. I am a a spiritual person and all, but not into getting a dose of religious wisdom with my soap! It IS good soap though. The peppermint is so awesome & refreshing. It is almost as good as getting a massage. It feels so nice. So I guess I'll have to put up with his thoughts being on my soap bottle.

Just don't understand it really.

Although the line "God's spaceship earth" gave me some funny visuals of this massive God-like figure driving through the galaxy on top of the planet.

Oh, I just had to add this. From his website:

"...allowing them to buy the finest ingredients such as lots of essential. peppermint oil for their most popular Peppermint Soap - which according to one happy customer, "Makes me feel like I put a York Peppermint Patti in my underwear." (Now that's tingly!)"

hahaha.

I've been buying Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap since I was in high school, and it's definitley one of the most versatile products around (though I refuse to try it as shampoo or on my toothbrush!). But whenever I don't know what cleanser to use around the house, I use the liquid Dr. Bronners (and use the bar version for hand soap). Once the "plant guy" was wiping down plants in our office and I recognized the smell, though couldn't place it... turns out it's not uncommon for those folks to use a little Dr. Bronner's in water for plant-washing!

I haven't read the quotes on labels in many years, but even if he seems a little loopy, it doesn't bother me. Don't remember his whole story, but this is from the Web site:

Emanuel Bronner was a third generation master soap-maker from an orthodox Jewish family in Heilbron, Germany, where he was certified as a master soap-maker under the rigorous guild system of the time. He was the heir to the family's soap factory and business, but rebelled against his father and came to the United States in the late 1920's. After the Nazis nationalized the soap factory in 1938, his parents and most of his family died in the Holocaust.

Dr. Bronner initially worked as a consultant to various soap companies in the U.S. However, most such companies were converting to the complicated synthetic surfactant formulations that comprise modern body care products, so he struck out on his own in the late 40's. His ecological castile soaps and message of peace resonated powerfully with the counter-culture of the 60's and 70's, and he became an icon of the time.

Dr. Bronner's essential vision and philosophy were born out of the fate of his family and the Holocaust, and are emphatic that we are all children of the same divine source: people must realize that we are "All-One!," and that the prophets and spiritual giants of the world's various faith traditions all realized and said this. Dr. Bronner was also grounded in a powerful ecological consciousness, and the soaps were an extension of this simple, natural and 100% environment-friendly.

Dr. Bronner passed away peacefully on March 7, 1997, amidst family and friends. While we disagree with Dr. Bronner on some idiosyncrasies in his philosophy, we revere him for his efforts to unite humanity and his exhortations to lead a more responsible life in respect to our environment and each other. We continue to make with care and integrity the fine ecological soaps our customers have loved and lathered with for 50 years, and we now make the 8 oz., quart and bar soaps with all certified organic oils. We share our time, profits and energy with our workers and worthwhile causes worldwide.

Love in All-One, The Bronner Family

I've even washed my hair with it

Sunberst, if the odd notes on the bottle freak you out, why not put the stuff in a different bottle and enjoy the soap
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I'm absolutely sold on this stuff too. I dilute it and use it in handsoap dispensers all around my house. And everyone LOVES the smell, it seems.

I should also mention that this is the BEST stuff for eliminating stains in clothing before washing -- it even takes out tough things, like blood. I've saved many a white garment with his soaps. It's unbelievable.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

I've never heard of him or his products. Where does one find them at?
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

You can definitely get them at any natural foods store, though they sell them in a lot of supermarkets too.

Some camping/out doorsy type stores aslo sell it because it's so natural. REI has it for sure.

Cool! Thanks, I'll look for it this weekend. I love pepperminty soaps and such.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

One thing, though, Jennifer - don't expect anything sudsy; they don't use any artificial foaming agents, so it's pretty flat..

i use my dr. bronner's with a bath poof and it does lather well for me, and i have hard water. however it will not bubble up if i try to use it as bubble bath.

they sell it at whole foods, and a lot of supermarkets with a "natural market" section. if you can't find it in person, a few online retailers sell it like motherearth.com

you guys who dilute it and use it as handsoap... what is the ratio? why wouldnt you use it straight? i just squirt mine onto my bath poof in the shower and use it that way. should i be diluting it for that purpose, too?

the soap as toothpaste test!

i decided to try it.

i squirted a tad onto my toothbrush and because it is watery it disappeared into the bristles. started to brush and much to my surprise lots of little foamy bubbles started to develop! just like regular toothpaste- almost. i used the peppermint soap, so it tasted minty. not as minty as regular toothpaste though.

all in all it was a good experience, until after. my mouth had a slightly soapy & bitter aftertaste. nothing horrible, but it was not the most pleasant thing.

you should try it and see what you think. if you like herbal toothpastes (like tom's) you might actually enjoy this.

I've used Tom's peppermint toothpaste almost as long as I've used the peppermint Doc Bronner's...but even with your recommendation, don't think I could bring myself to use it on a toothbrush - just smells too soapy for me! Good for you for trying it, though.

Has anyone tried the almond?

I think I may have to ask the manager of our vit/supp store at work is she can stock his products...these sound great!

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Ahh, this takes me back to backpacking trips in high school. We, of course, took along Dr. Bronners, cause you could use it to wash dishes, hands, teeth and it wouldn't harm the streams! But the writing on the bottle served as hysterical reading material for wacked out high school hikers,and was much quoted along the trail and by the campfire. My girlfriends and I, in our 40's now, still remember "Win Victory....All One God Faith UNITE!" and when we see each other, surely bring it up after a couple drinks. It was a mantra while we were hiking and never failed to crack us up.
    "I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride"

Originally posted by gabbyh
    Has anyone tried the almond?

I think I may have to ask the manager of our vit/supp store at work is she can stock his products...these sound great!

~Gail
    I've used them all except the new Tea Tree...but it's next.

I like them all

I even tried it as toothpaste...not bad in a pinch.

Tea tree??! This is news to me - and I love tea tree!
    Ziiiiiiiiing-eeeeeeey. Why, makes a York Peppermint Patty about as potent as a tic-tac .
    Thanks, wallycat.

All this talk about Dr. Bronner's has this product queen in a tizzy. I had to rush out to CM and buy the peppermint liquid soap today. The bottle messages are quite kooky, but the scent is heavenly.

Off to bathe....

BK

I want to go out and get this peppermint soap, too. It sounds fabulous. I'm assuming (hoping) I'll find it at Trader Joe's?

Sunny

Originally posted by sunnysideup
    I'm assuming (hoping) I'll find it at Trader Joe's?

Sunny
    they don't carry it at the trader joe's by me... atleast not that i ever saw.

I had to buy this soap after reading about it, and I picked the peppermint because it sounded really refreshing.

Well, the quote below doesn't do this soap justice. In my underwear area, it definitely felt different than on the rest of my body.

"...allowing them to buy the finest ingredients such as lots of essential. peppermint oil for their most popular Peppermint Soap - which according to one happy customer, "Makes me feel like I put a York Peppermint Patti in my underwear." (Now that's tingly!)"
    Maybe it's something like the Monica Lewinsky Altoid effect? Hee hee. Not that it turned me on or anything, but burned/tingled. Anyone else going to fess up?

Jennifer