Community Message Boards

Thread: "No White at Night" (?) diet - help needed

"No White at Night" (?) diet - help needed

Hoping someone out there is familiar with a diet that is called something like "No White At Night" - basically you cannot have any carbs after a certain time of day.

My very-overweight 42-yo BIL has been diagnosed with a life-threatening illness, and has been told to lose 100 pounds or else he will need a liver transplant in 5-10 years. His doctor recommended this program for him. I would like very much to provide him some recipes that would fit into his program, but need to know the basic guidelines.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Think essentially "healthy low carb" for the evening meals. Steamed, grilled, broiled lean meats or fish (they can be seasoned, but not with anything containing sugar such as BBQ sauce), egg whites or eggs, and leafy non-starchy (no carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, etc.) vegetables, either cooked or raw, for the evening meal(s).

He would also probably do best, if he is really serious, to cut out ALL "white" carbs, all day long. Dump refined sugar, refined flour, white rice, replace them with -- well, no sugars at all if he can help it, cooked whole grains such as oats, barley, brown rice, etc. instead of bread/pasta/rice (wholemeal breads if he must have bread), sweet potatoes/yams rather than regular potatoes.

Good luck, Goldie -- and your brother-in-law. It's no fun, to have to change your diet for fear of your life.

Goldie,

I've never heard of this diet plan, but I did a search on google.com and found a link to a book on Amazon.com that may be helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...46517?v=glance

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Thanks for the replies! Interesting to see he is a local doctor. It says no scale or calculator is needed, but I wonder what you have to track. It makes a difference if I give him Atkins-type recipes, or really just low-fat recipes with no carbs. Given that the author is a cardiologist, I imagine fat plays a role in his plan as well.

I am thinking of putting together a little booklet for him for Christmas of tried-and-true recipes that would fit his plan, so thanks for any more details anyone can provide. I see the reviews on Amazon are all from local people as well, and the book was just published in June, so it could be not very well known yet. (What's your bet that BIL's doctor knows this doctor Not that it matters, since it sounds like it may be a pretty good program.

It's not really a new thing; I've run into this a lot among fitness/bodybuilding peeps, as a sort of halfway maintenance point between the extremes of a cutting diet and, well, normalcy. They typically eat five-seven meals a day, and many of 'em will put their starchy carbs all in the first three meals as a matter of course, then finish with salads, grilled meats, steamed non-starchy veg and egg whites for the last few. (You can see it in a lot of the sample pro diets if you pick up things like Muscle and Fitness or Oxygen.) Sounds as though this doctor is trying to nick the principle for more mainstream weightloss.

You may want to also pick up South Beach Diet which has a lot of recipes..After the initial 2 week period I think it would be much easier to follow than Atkins. It emphasises good carbs and good fats. After the initial 2 weeks, he can reintroduce carbs trying to do it during the day as opposed to at night.

JeAnne
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com