Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: Different jello salad recipe

Post ISO: Different jello salad recipe

I need to bring a salad to a potluck diner this Friday. Any new or fresh ideas for a jello salad? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

My gramma used to make a jello salad that had lime jello, pineapple, either cream cheese or cottage cheese (dont zactly remember) and pecans. That and my moms jello salad with strawberry jello, friut and cream cheese layered are the only kinds I like. They are both refreshing. LEt me know if you want either and Ill call mom to get them

KIm

Thanks Kim, but I have both of these recipes, or, at least, very similiar. I've served them before so I wanted something different. Thanks for responding to my request.

There was an excellent Cranberry Waldrolf Salad in CL's recent Make it Ahead issue.

It is basically cranberry salad with apples, grapes, nuts and a yummy cream cheese dressing. It's supposed to go into a jello mold, but I made mine in a caserole dish with no problems.

Donnalee--I don't do Jello often, but think you might like this easy, refreshing idea I recreated from a side dish I was served once at a restaurant in a fancy furniture showroom center--can't remember what my entree was, but the waitress brought me seconds on the jello after watching me lick the bowl! I'm required to take this to all family gatherings now...

Spiced Orange Jello

2 3-oz pkgs. orange Jello
    2 c. boiling water
    2 c. cold orange juice
    2 ll-oz cans mandarin oranges, drained
    l/2 c. (more/less to taste) chopped nuts
    l/8-l/4 tsp. each cinnamon & nutmeg
    l c. mini marshmallows (I think it's a law in the South that you HAVE to put marshmallows in Jello!)

Dissolve Jello in boiling water. Add cold o.j. Chill l l/2-2 hrs. til egg whitish. Fold in oranges, nuts, marshmallows, spices. Chill til firm.

joanieb

Exclamation

Joanieb- Your recipe sounds good. I'm going to make it for my sister's babyshower. I was looking for different ideas. I hate to have the same old, expected stuff!
    How do you serve it? In a bowl? Or do you put it in a mold? Do you serve it with cool whip?

This is good...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cherry and Pineapple Jello Salad

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Fruit/Jello Salad

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 box cherry Jello -- (6 oz.)
    2 c. boiling water
    1 can cherry pie filling -- (21 oz.)
    1 can crushed pineapple in juice -- (20 oz.) drained
    Topping:
    8 oz. cream cheese -- softened
    1/2 c. sour cream
    1/2 c. sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla

Mix Jello with water until dissolved.

Stir in pie filling and pineapple.

Pour in 9x13 pan.

Refrigerate until set.

Beat remaining ingredients with mixer until smooth. Spread over Jello mixture; chill.

Source:
    "Beta Sigma Phi--Just Desserts--pg.160"

Tiger--I've never molded this (couldn't find that sticky old Tupperware mold I haven't used in l5 years if I wanted to!), just dump it all into a l l/2-2 qt. pretty dish/casserole. Everybody seems to love the citrusy flavors unadorned, but certainly Cool Whip could be an accompaniment if you like (I think the Cool Whip factor is another Southern law!).

Healthy wishes to your sister! Do you know if you're gonna have a niece or a nephew yet?

joanieb

Christine, Can you post the Cranberry Waldorf salad recipe? I don't have that issue. Thank you.

I am anxious to try the other salads that were posted as well. Thanks everyone!

Here you go, Donnalee--I had just pulled the issue down to get recipe for the Choc. Eclair dessert--yum! (quicker than digging out original issue, hmm?)--

Cranberry-Waldorf Gelatin Salad
    8 servings
    Up to 2 days ahead

2 3-oz pkgs. cranberry gelatin (not sugar-free)
    l 3/4 c. boiling water
    3/4 c. cold water
    3/4 c. diced Red. Delicious apple
    3/4 c. diced Golden Del. apple
    l/2 c. seedless green grapes, quartered
    l/4 c. finely chopped pecans
    cooking spray
    l/2 c. (4 oz) block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened
    3/4 c. low-fat sour cream
    2 Tbs. sugar
    l/4 tsp. vanilla extract
    lettuce leaves
    apple slices (opt.)
    chopped pecans (opt.)

Combine gelatin & boiling water in bowl, stir til dissolved. Stir in cold water, cover, chill l l/2 hours til egg whitish. Fold in apples, grapes, pecans.

Spoon into 5-cup gelatin mold coated w/cooking spray. Cover, chill til firm.

Beat cream cheese w/mixer at med. speed til smooth. Add sour cream, sugar, vanilla, beat well. Cover, chill.

To serve: invert mold onto serving plate, cut into 8 pieces. Serve on lettuce lined plates, top each serving w/2 Tbs. ceam cheese mixture. Garnish w/apple slices, chopped nuts if desired.

l80 cal, 5.4 g fat, 28.9 g carb, l g fiber, l53 mg sodium.

Talking

joanieb- Thanks for answering my questions about your salad. I can't wait to try it!
    And no my sister doesn't know what the sex of her baby. Like me, she's one of the people who want to be suprised! I had 45 ultrasounds during my pregnacy and before they started each one I would say "I don't want to know the sex!" By the end they were like WE KNOW, WE KNOW!

I grew up in the South, as did my mother and her mother. Somehow, the mayo, cool whip, marshmallows and cream cheese in jello stuff all ended with my grandmother.

I make 2 jello salads my mother made, neither with written recipes. One is orange jello with grated carrots, crushed pineapple and mandarin oranges. The other is a red jello (probably started off as strwaberry, but I use cranberry raspberry now), a can of whole berry cranberry sauce (or homemade, and the jelly kind can be used if anyone doesn't like the whole berries or skins), and crushed pineapple. This one sometimes gets mandarin oranges, pears, frozen raspberries or strawberries added for variety. Either could have some chopped nuts added too.

I made this for Thanksgiving- it is from the CL Nov 2000 issue. Got lots of compliments.

Fruited Port-Cranberry Salad

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. November 2000. Page: 120.
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Salads

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
    1/2 cup port or other sweet red wine
    2 packages (3 ounces, each) cranberry- flavored gelatin
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    2 cups boiling water
    1 can (16-ounce) whole- berry cranberry sauce
    1/2 cup ice water
    1 1/2 cups finely chopped Granny Granny Smith 1 large apple)
    1 package (14-oz) frozen unsweetened
    raspberries, thawed
    1 can (8-1/4-ounce) crushed pineapple in juice,drained

Directions.
    Gelatin salad may be the quintessential grandma food. We did take some liberties with this recipe from Stacey Strawn's Granny Prince, particularly by adding port (she didn't allow alcohol in the house). We think the change will appeal to many home cooks, though, and it makes for a sociable dish just right for a holiday buffet.

1. Sprinkle unflavored gelatin over port; set aside. Combine the cranberry gelatin, ginger, and allspice in a large bowl; stir well. Stir in boiling water and port mixture. Add the cranberry sauce and the ice water; stir well. Chill for 30 minutes.

2. Combine apple, raspberries, and pineapple; stir into gelatin mixture. Pour into an 8-cup gelatin mold; chill 4 hours or until set. To unmold, dip mold into hot water for 5 seconds; invert onto serving platter. Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 slice).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 27 Calories; trace Fat (0.2% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 20mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Hi. I've never made this, but I have had it before (or something like it anyway...it was a long time ago) and it was good. This might fit the bill for something different. This salad takes time to prepare since each layer must be set before the next one is added. It makes a pretty presentation.

Seven-Layer Gelatin Salad
    7 packages (3 oz each) assorted flavoured gelatin
    4 1/2 cups boiling water, divided
    4 1/2 cups cold water, divided
    1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk, divided
    1 carton (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
    Fresh mint and sliced strawberries and kiwifruit, optional

In a bowl, dissolve one package of gelatin in 3/4 cup boiling water. Add 3/4 cup cold water; stir. Spoon into a 13x9x2 inch dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Refrigerate until almost set, about 40 minutes. In a bowl, dissolve another package of gelatin in 1/2 cup boiling water, add 1/2 cup cold water and 1/2 cup milk; stir. Spoon over the first layer. Refrigerate until almost set, about 40 minutes. Repeat five times alternating plain gelatin with greamy gelatin, refrigerating between layers. Just before serving, spread top with whipped topping. Garnish with mint and fruit if desired.

aka,

Not a huge jello fan, but your recipe sounds beautiful!

kim

Strawberry Jello Salad
    (serves 8)
    1 pkg. Strawberry Jello
    2 cups boiling water
    3 bananas, mashed
    1 can crushed pineapple
    30 oz bag of frozen strawberries, thawed
    1 large carton sour cream

Mix Jello and boiling water. Stir till dissolved, then let cool. Add mashed bananas, pineapple, and undrained frozen strawberries. Put half the mixture into 13" X 9" X 2" pan and chill 30-45 minutes. Spread sour cream on top. Add remaining fruit & Jello mixture, chill, and cut into squares.

Molded Jello Salad
    (serves 4)
    1 small pkg. lime jello
    small can crushed pineapple
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/2 cup sugar
    3/4 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup Cool Whip

Dissolve jello in one cup of boiling water. Add pineapple, lemon juice, and sugar and mix well. Place in refrigerator. When almost set, add the cottage cheese and whipped cream. Return to refrigerator until set.

Cherry Jello Salad
    1 box cherry jello
    whipping cream
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 small can fruit cocktail

Make the jello according to package directions. When the jello is set, in another bowl whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla. Beat by hand into the jello mixture. Add the fruit. Stir lightly.

Orange Jello Salad
    1 large box vanilla pudding (the kind you cook)
    1 large box orange jello
    1 carton Cool Whip
    bananas that have been sliced and soaked in pineapple juice
    1 can Mandarin Oranges, drained
    1 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained

Make the pudding according to package directions except substitute water for the milk. Add the jello when the pudding is thick, stirring to dissolve. Chill. Whip in the Cool Whip after the pudding sets, and add the fruit.

Jello Salad with Cheese
    1 large box of cherry Jello
    1 can crushed pineapple, drained
    1 small pkg. miniature marshmallows
    1 large pkg. whip cream
    1 cup cheddar cheese, grated

Make the Jello according to the package directions, adding crushed pineapple. Cool for 30 minutes. When nearly set, add the marshmallows, and finish cooling to fully set. At serving time, top with whipped cream and cheese.

Strawberry Rice Salad
    1/2 cup white rice
    1/2 cup sugar
    3 cups water
    1 small can crushed pineapple
    1 pkg. strawberry jello
    1 cup Cool Whip

Cook the rice in all of the water until tender, about 20. Drain the rice, reserving the water. Dissolve the Jello in 1/2 cup hot rice water. Add the sugar, warm rice, and pineapple. When partially set, add the whipped cream and mix thoroughly. Chill again to set fully.

How about the strawberry Pretzel salad. It has three layers. Pretzel crust, cream cheese and cool whip middle and strawberry top. It is yummy
    Another family favorite is called Frog Eye Salad. It has tapioca pudding I think. I could post it if you want.
    A third is a variation of another posted above. Orange Fluff we call it...oranges, cool whip, sour cream, orange jello and pineapple

[This message has been edited by SHERRY (edited 01-10-2001).]

Sherry, Would you please post the Frog Eye Salad? Thanks. Sounds interesting!

And Sherry, I'd like the Orange Fluff recipe - thanks!

Here they are...They are both always present at family get-togethers

Orange Fluff

Categories : Salad, Fruit & Jello

1 can mandarin oranges -- drained
    8 ounces cool whip
    1 cup sour cream, light
    1 can pineapple tidbits -- drained
    1 small bag miniature marshmallow
    1 small box orange jello

Mix cool whip, sour cream and jello together. Add oranges, pineapple, and marshmallows. Mix well and refrigerate before serving.

Description:
    "fluffy, cold, tangy jello salad"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 120 Calories; 5g Fat (30.4% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 18mg Cholesterol; 59mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

This does not have tapioca like I thought, it is the acini de pepe and egg mixture that make it the consistency of tapioca. Anyhow, it is good!
    The frog eye salad may even be the recipe on the back of the Acini de Pepe package. My aunt always makes it, so I am not sure if the recipe is originally hers or not.

Frog Eye Salad

Serving Size : 25 Preparation Time :0:00

1 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons flour
    2 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 3/4 cups pineapple juice
    2 whole eggs -- beaten
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    3 quarts water
    1 tablespoon cooking oil
    1 package Acini di pepe -- (16 oz.)
    3 cans mandarin oranges, 11 oz. each -- drained
    2 cans pineapple chunks, 20 oz. each -- drained
    1 can crushed pineapple -- drained
    1 carton non-dairy whipped topping, 9 oz
    1 cup miniature marshmallows -- optional
    1 cup coconut -- optional

Combine sugar, flour and one half teaspoon of salt. Gradually stir in pineapple juice and eggs. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until thickened. Add lemon juice. Cool mixture to room temperature. Bring water and remaining two teaspoons salt and oil to boil. Add acini de pepe. Cook at rolling boil until ancini de pepe is done. Drain acini de pepe, rinse with water, drain again and cool to room temperature. Combine egg mixture and acini de pepe. Mix lightly but thoroughly. Refrigerate overnight in airtight container. Add remaining ingredients. Mix lightly but thoroughly. Refrigerate until chilled in airtight container. Salad may be refrigerated for as long as a week. May also be frozen, though freezing somewhat alters the texture. Makes 25 servings.

Source:
    "Carol Blocker"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 109 Calories; 3g Fat (22.5% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 15mg Cholesterol; 224mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Talking

Linda in Mo
    I made your cherry, pineapple jello and it is soooo good! I made it in my truffle bowl so it looked pretty too. (I made a light version) My Dad and I were fighting over the last spoonful. And it was sooo easy!!
    I can't wait to try the orange, spice recipe!

Sherry, I would love to get the recipe for the Strawberry Pretzl jellp salad - that sounds like a fun one!
    Also, I have a question about your recipe for the Orange Fluff jello salad: You say to mix the cool whip, sour cream and jello. Do you do that after mixing the hot water and cold water and allowing it to set a bit or are you putting the dry jello right in the wet ingredients???? I would love to try this, I'm just a bit confused : )
    Thanks! Linda

Here is the Strawberry Pretzel salad. I love it. For the orange fluff, you DO NOT mix the jello as stated on the package. Just pour the powder in with the cool whip and sour cream.

Hope you like them!

Strawberry Pretzel Salad

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

1 Cup Crushed pretzels
    1 Stick Butter
    3 Tblsp Sugar
    you can also add a little sugar to the crust if you want to.
    ******MIDDLE LAYER
    1 Block cream cheese -- (8oz)
    1 Small -- Carton cool whip
    1 Cup Sugar
    ******TOPPING
    1 Lg box Strawberry jello
    2 Cup Hot water
    1/2 Cup Cold water
    1 Bag frozen strawberry halves -- (16oz)

Mix pretzels, melted butter, and sugar. Press into bottom of 9x13 pan and bake at 350* for 10 min. Combine softened cream cheese, cool whip, and sugar. Spread on pretzel crust. Refrigerate until cold. Mix jello with hot water until dissolved add cold water and frozen strawberries. Stir until it begins to set. Pour mixture on middle layer. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Thanks so much, Sherri! Wow, I thought I was asking a totally dumb question, but now I'm really glad I asked!