Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for "healthy" cookies, bars, granola, etc.

Looking for "healthy" cookies, bars, granola, etc.

I want to make some "healthy" cookies, granola, power bars, whatever (no muffins though). Stuff that can freeze well to pull out for quick snacks for hiking, biking, meditating. Stuff that has flax seeds & whole wheat flour & other good stuff in it. Sunflower seeds, coconut... maybe some fruit? Also, something that packs a lot of nutrients and natural energy.

Oh, and I don't mind at all if it tastes "healthy".

try this site for more choices than you can shake a stick at:
    http://www.recipesource.com/munchies/snacks/granola/

And this one is a family favorite:

Chewy Granola Bars

1 cup honey
    2/3 cup smooth peanut butter
    2 2/3 cups rolled oats
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. cloves
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1/3 cup wheat germ
    2 cups mix-ins in any combination of the following: coconut, raisins,
    chocolate or carob chips, unsalted nuts, any finely chopped dried fruit
    such as dates, apricots, apples, etc.

Mix honey and peanut butter until well blended. It might help to warm the honey in the microwave about 20 seconds so that it is not so stiff. Stir in oats, flour, wheat germ and mix-ins. If mixture seems too dry, add water 1 Tbsp. at a time. If it is too sticky, add oats 1 Tbsp. at a time. Mixture should be slightly sticky, but still easily spread in a pan with greased fingers. Press into a 9x13" pan lightly greased. Bake at 350 F until barely browned. DO NOT OVERBAKE! Cut while warm into desired sized bars. Wahen completely cool, remove from pan with a greased spatula. Wrap each bar separately in plastic wrap and then store in a zip bag or air tight container. These freeze extrememly well. Makes about 2 dozen bars.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I agree with Sneezles...that recipe is our VERY FAVORITE bar recipe. We use flax seed as one of the mix-ins.
    Life is Good

OHMYWORD! Susan, those bars look wonderful! THANKS for sharing!

Lynn
    I take life with a grain of salt... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Visit my blog at: http://www.lifewithlynnb.blogspot.com

Those bars are a staple in our house. I use flax seed in place of the wheat germ. Raisins and mini chocolate chips or mini m&m's are my favorite mix-ins.

I also like the "Baker's Breakfast Cookies" that I found somewhere on this BB. I make those as bars.

edited: here's a thread with that recipe: http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...st+and+cookies
    I like these made with cranberries and walnuts and orange extract.

Here's a recipe that is very good. It's also rather versatile, you can easily add in things like flax seeds, sunflower seeds, or dried fruit.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Breakfast Bars

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breakfast

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1/2 cup corn syrup, light
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1 cup quick cooking oats
    1/2 cup chocolate chips
    1/4 cup wheat germ

Mix all ingredients together and press into a buttered 9x9-inch pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes for crunchy bars and 10 minutes for chewy bars.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 191 Calories; 10g Fat (43.8% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 68mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : These are good for a quick "grab & go" breakfast.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Dianne

Cooking Light has two "Power Biscotti" recipes. There is one with peanut butter from 1998 in the CL recipe finder that I tried and liked, but this one definetely looks "healthier" and yummy. Anyone tried these?

Power Biscotti From Cooking Light NOVEMBER 2000

These nutty, crunchy biscotti make great snacks. The dough may crumble a bit when you slice the rolls.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
    1/2 cup sliced almonds
    1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
    1/4 cup wheat bran
    2 tablespoons flaxseed
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons almond extract
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3 large eggs
    Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350.
    Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine the flour and the next 7 ingredients (flour through baking powder) in a large bowl. Combine oil, extracts, and eggs; add to flour mixture, stirring until well-blended (dough will be dry and crumbly). Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 7 or 8 times. Divide the dough in half. Shape each portion into an 8-inch-long roll. Place the rolls 6 inches apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; flatten each roll to 1-inch thickness.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove rolls from baking sheet; cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Cut each roll diagonally into 15 (1/2-inch) slices. Place the slices, cut sides down, on baking sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 325 bake 10 minutes. Turn cookies over; bake an additional 10 minutes (the cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Remove from baking sheet; cool completely on wire rack.

Yield: 2 1/2 dozen (serving size: 1 biscotto)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 104 (21% from fat); FAT 2.4g (sat 0.4g, mono 1g, poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 2.7g; CARB 18.4g; FIBER 1.1g; CHOL 22mg; IRON 1mg; SODIUM 42mg; CALC 31mg;
    Sarah

I did try them and liked them! It's been a while since I made them as I have lost track of the recipe and had many other biscotti recipes I wanted to try, so I can't remember if I made any modifications. I do remember that I liked the bits of apricot and almond scattered throughout! Since you've posted it, I will be giving them another try! Thanks!!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

I don't have it typed up yet, but the Granola with Blueberries from the Jan/Feb '04 issue is very tasty and easy to make!

Wow! I woke this morning thinking "Gee, wish I had a good recipe for granola bars.

Thanks for posting these!

I think I'll try Blue Moose's flax substitution for the wheat germ.

I have tried the chewy granola bars above and they are very good. but I would leave out (or cut WAY back on) the spices next time. they were overwhelming.

here is a recipe that I love. I tinkered with a recipe I found online to come up with this healthy version...

Peanut Butter-Banana Oat Bars
    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 15 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

1 c all-purpose flour
    1 c whole-wheat pastry flour (I have used regular whole wheat flour with success)
    1/2 cup wheat germ
    1/8 teaspoon sea salt
    1 c rolled oats
    3 ripe bananas -- mashed
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 c natural peanut butter
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1 large egg
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips -- optional, or use raisins

1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.

2 In a mixing bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, pastry flour, wheat germ and salt. Stir in cereal.

3 In a food processor, combine bananas, sugar, brown sugar, peanut butter, oil, egg and vanilla. Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients and stir just to blend. Stir in chocolate chips.

4 Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake until set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 240 Calories; 9g Fat (32.4% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 37g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 12mg Cholesterol; 83mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Not sure if this will interest you or not, but I've been making Baked Oatmeal "Muffins" to eat for breakfast and snacks. The "muffin" instructions are at the bottom plus a few variations.

Baked Oatmeal

Recipe By :I adapted from CL Oct. '03 pg. 223
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breakfast

2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
    1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/3 cup dried cherries
    1/4 cup dried cranberries
    1 t. baking powder
    1 to 1 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
    1/4 to 1/2 t. freshly grated nutmeg
    1 pinch salt
    1 1/2 cups fat-free or 1% milk
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used a natural berry blend)
    1 T. pure vanilla extract (I use 1/2 T. if I use double strength)
    1 1/2 T. melted butter
    2 egg whites -- beaten well

Preheat oven to 375 deg.

Combine first 8 ingredients in medium bowl.

Combine the milk, applesauce, butter, and egg whites. Beat well.

Pour mixture into an 8 inch square baking dish (see bottom for notes on making them into "muffins") coated with Pam. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes or so until oatmeal is set.

Serve hot with milk poured over it. Or garnish with yogurt and/or fruit.

Store leftovers in the fridge and heat in the microwave.

Yield: 5 to 6 servings

NOTES : Make sure you beat the egg whites well or you will get pockets of cooked egg white in the oatmeal. Original recipe didn't have dried cherries, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, or salt. And called for 2 T. butter and 1 whole egg insead of 2 egg whites.

**I have been making Baked Oatmeal "Muffins". Just scoop the oatmeal mixture into greased muffin tins (filling to the top) and bake for the same amount of time or until set and starting to turn a little golden. I get 11 to 12 "muffins". I either eat them out of hand warm or eat them hot with milk poured over them in a bowl.

Variations:

Cranberry-Blueberry- omit dried cherries and increase craisins to 1/2 cup and add a good 1/2 cup frozen blueberries. Cut back on the milk just slightly and bake them a couple extra minutes.

Banana-Blueberry- omit craisins and dried cherries. Add I diced ripe banana and a good 3/4 cup frozen blueberries. Cut back on the milk just slightly and bake them a couple extra minutes.

Other variations I want to try...Banana Walnut, Apple Cranberry, Apple and Golden Raisin, etc.

I saw Gale Gand do these on foodtv just before Christmas and I've become totally addicted to them. No muss, no fuss, I always have everything needed in the cabinets and I'm sure, as she suggested, for those looking for "kid-friendly" kitchen projects, these would be a lot of fun. I usually do a dozen, keep them on parchment on a plate in the fridge and chip away at them over a couple days.

BOB

Granola Peanut Butter Balls
    Recipe courtesy Gale Gand and Nancy Russman

Prep Time: 10 minutes Yield: 16 balls

2 tablespoons honey
    4 tablespoons peanut butter
    2 cups granola
    2 to 4 tablespoons milk, or as needed

In a large bowl, mix together the honey and peanut butter. Using a spatula, stir in the granola. Add enough milk to just moisten--you want it to stick together. Form into balls. Chill until ready to serve*.

*NOTE: About a half hour will do, but the longer the peanut butter has to "set," the better.

I really like these:

Crispy Rice Squares with the Works

Lucius Best: You tell me where my suit is, woman! We are talking about the greater good!
    Honey Best: Greater good? I am your wife! I'm the greatest good you are ever gonna get!

"The Incredibles" (Lucius Best aka Frozone)

Mmmmm.....

We are having our second snow day in a row and I am in the mood to bake! I'm trying to bake heathful things and have already made the Baked Oatmeal that Deanna posted a while back.

So, the Chewy Granola Bars sound perfect. One question - can I make these with natural peanut butter? I have both, but I'd rather use the natural. Would they be sweet enough?

I think I'll mix in coconut, dried cranberries and chocolate chips. I'd do nuts, but the boys won't go for those.

I'm not sure if I have wheat germ, but maybe a mix of flaxseed meal and bran would work?

Before that, I must go shovel!

Alysha

Alysha, I'm sure they'd be fine with the natural peanut butter. There's plenty of honey for sweetness. Flax and bran would be fine.

Val...I only put the cinnamon in them.

YIKES! HELP!!!

How long do you bake the chewy granola bars? Sneezles? Val? "Until browned" doesn't mean much to me since my batter is brown. Help! They're in the oven!

Well, I ended up baking them for 20 minutes. They seem to be done.

I made the Chewy Granola Bars today, and honestly I didn't care for them at all. I used natural peanut butter (I never eat the other kind), so maybe that made a difference (?). I'm not even sure how to describe why I didn't like them - they just didn't seem to have much flavor. Oh well....into the trash can!

Here's a good one I posted once:

PEANUT BUTTER AND CHOCOLATE CHIP GRANOLA BARS

1 1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup unsweetened toasted coconut
    2 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips
    2 tbsp peanut butter chips
    3 tbsp corn syrup
    2 tbsp liquid honey
    3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
    3 tbsp vegetable oil
    3 tbsp water
    2 tsp vanilla

Prehat oven to 350. Spray a 8-inch square cake pan with vegetable spray.

(1) In a large bowl, stir together oats, brown sugar, coconut, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, corn syrup, honey, peanut butter, oil, water and vanilla until combine. Pat the mixture into a prepared pan.
    (2) Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is golden and the bars seem firm.
    (3) Let the pan cool on a wire rack.

Makes 16 servings.
    134 cals per bar
    6g fat

My changes:

my changes.

(1) I totally omitted the oil. It isn't need at all I don't think.
    (2) I only used 3 tbsp or corn syrup and honey combined. Again, for a granola bar, I think they are sweet enough.
    (3) I used milk chocolate chips instead of the combination. I also once used a block of semi-sweet which I just chipped myself. I like it this way because then there is just a underlying flavour of peanut butter which I like.

Here's a
    link to the actual thread, which includes my reviews and a bunch of others that tried it.
    Adele

My Blog - http://passioknit.blogspot.com/

Kristine, I'm not too crazy about these chewy granola bars either. I'll definitely post an update if I think they taste better after sitting for awhile, but the taste I took fresh out of the oven tastes a little floury to me. I was expecting them to be more like chewy granola bars but they're more like bar cookies with oats in them.

Adele, I'll give yours a try since they're flourless.

Sneezles, sorry I didn't like them that much. I think it's just the flour part that threw them off for me.

Here's a link to a no-bake recipe that reminds me a lot of the chewy granola bars you buy in the stores:

http://cookie.allrecipes.com/az/NBkGrnlBrs.asp

Originally posted by BlueMoose
    Here's a link to a no-bake recipe that reminds me a lot of the chewy granola bars you buy in the stores:

http://cookie.allrecipes.com/az/NBkGrnlBrs.asp
    Yum! That one looks really good.

now i am not sure what to make first!

thanks so much for all the ideas guys!

I made the Chewy Granola Bars yesterday and we really like them. I think these bars have so many different things you can do with them that it really depends on what your add-ins are, etc. I didn't get a floury taste at all.

I thought they also had more the texture of a bar cookie, but that was just fine with me - I considered that a plus! I also loved that these taste like a treat, but they are packed full of nutrition.

Here's what I did - I had to alter it a bit to take into account what ingredients I had on hand. I also took Val's advice on the spices because I don't like a strong taste of nutmeg or cloves - I would reduce them even further next time.

1/2 cup honey
    1/2 cup dark brown sugar
    2/3 cup smooth peanut butter (I used Jiff)
    2 2/3 cups rolled oats
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/8 teaspoon cloves
    In place of 1/3 cup wheat germ, I did part flax meal and part wheat bran
    Mix ins:
    *1/3 cup shredded coconut
    *1 cup chopped pecans
    *2/3 cup chocolate chips
    *1 tablespoon flax meal

I thought they came out quite well. Thanks Sneezles!

Is this your own creation Sneezles? If not, where did this recipe come from?

Alysha

Think I'll make some of these today using my new Peanut Better

Originally posted by Terrytx
    Think I'll make some of these today using my new Peanut Better
    Which flavor are you going to use? I just ordered the sampler pack of the sweet flavors. I couldn't resist after reading that thread about them, I LOVE peanut butter!

Kari

Well I tasted the Chewy Granola Bars again this morning (I didn't toss them last night, because my mom wanted to try them), and they are a bit better. I am still probably going to throw them out - I don't like wasting calories on things I don't really like - but they are definitely better once they have cooled completely.

Originally posted by pilgrim719

Which flavor are you going to use? I just ordered the sampler pack of the sweet flavors. I couldn't resist after reading that thread about them, I LOVE peanut butter!

Kari
    I'll use the Vanilla Cranberry and dried cranberries and nuts as the mix ins