Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dulce De Leche From Condensed Milk

Dulce De Leche From Condensed Milk

Has anyone ever made their own dulce de leche? That is, the kind where you pour condensed milk into a pie plate and bake it for an hour? If so, what does it taste like? Is the consistency the same as condensed milk or is it more like melted caramel.

I'd like to try to make some, but can't think of anything I'd do with it besides put it over ice cream. Any ideas? I've done a search, but was hoping for some more ideas and am specifically interested in the taste/texture of the condensed milk version.

Thanks!

Sounds like Danger Pudding!

Heh, that's exactly what I expected to find in this thread, Ms. Chevious!

I haven't made it myself, but I have had it before when it was made by boiling the unopened can in water. (There is now a warning on the can not to do this, but people do it all the time.) The condensed milk solidifies, kind of like a thick pudding. As for what to do with it, I'm afraid we just ate it plain.

Here's a recipe I have in my to-try file that uses dulce de leche.

DULCE DE LECHE RICE PUDDING

2 1/4 cups whole milk
    1/3 cup long-grain white rice
    1 cinnamon stick
    3 large egg yolks
    1/2 cup dulce de leche
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix together 2 cups of the milk, the rice, and the cinnamon stick in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium-low heat until the rice is tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick and set the pan aside.

Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup of milk with the egg yolks in a large bowl. Add a little of the rice mixture at a time, whisking constantly. When all the rice has been added, return the pudding to the pan and cook over low heat, stirring, until the timpeature of the pudding reaches 160 degrees F, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the dulce de leche and vanilla. Stir until incorporated. Pour the pudding into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve cold.

from Sara Moulton Cooks at Home, pg 287

Thanks Clover!

I've seen the water boiling method and it scares me a little. I think I'm going to try the method where you bake the condensed milk in the oven.

Thanks for the rice pudding idea.

Did you turn up the Dulce de Leche Biscotti recipe posted by Funnybone in your search? I have always wanted to try that recipe- I even have a can of dulce de leche in my cupboard that I purchased for that purpose. Have never made my own, though- sorry!

Here are a few from my Bon Appetit files...

* Exported from MasterCook *

CREPES WITH CARAMEL SAUCE AND TOASTED PECANS (Crepas de Cajeta con Nuez)

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Dessert

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Crepes
    2 1/2 cups whole milk
    5 large eggs
    1 cup all purpose flour
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (3/4 stick) melted, cooled slightly
    2 tablespoons sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    Additional melted butter (for frying)
    Sauce
    3 cups cajeta
    3/4 cup whole milk
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    3 tablespoons Cognac or brandy
    2 cups pecans -- toasted, chopped

For crepes:
    Combine first 6 ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Let stand 1 hour at room temperature. Blend again before using.

Brush 8- to 9-inch-diameter nonstick skillet lightly with melted butter. Heat over medium-high heat. Pour scant 1/4 cupful batter into skillet, tilting to allow batter to coat bottom of skillet. Cook until crepe is golden on bottom, about 1 minute. Turn crepe over and cook until brown on bottom, about 45 seconds. Transfer to paper towel. Repeat with remaining batter, making about 24 crepes and stacking crepes between paper towels. Cool.

For sauce:
    Combine cajeta, milk, and butter in heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until sauce is reduced to 2 3/4 cups, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in Cognac.

Place 1 crepe on work surface. Spread with 1 tablespoon sauce. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chopped pecans. Fold crepe in half over filling, then in half again, forming triangle. Repeat with remaining crepes, sauce, and pecans. Arrange crepes in two 13x9x2-inch glass baking dishes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill crepes and remaining sauce separately. Rewarm sauce just until pourable before continuing.)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour remaining sauce over crepes. Bake until heated through, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with any remaining pecans and serve.

Makes 12 servings.

Source:
    "Bon Appétit May 2003"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3267 Calories; 298g Fat (79.3% calories from fat); 71g Protein; 104g Carbohydrate; 16g Dietary Fiber; 1322mg Cholesterol; 2281mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 3 Non-Fat Milk; 55 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Cajeta (or dulce de leche, as it is known in other Latin American countries) is a thick caramel sauce traditionally made with goat's milk, though cow's milk is also commonly used. If you can't find cajeta, you can substitute dulce de leche, now available in many supermarkets (look for it next to the ice cream sauces). Cajeta is sold at Mexican and Latin American markets.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

DULCE DE LECHE SAUCE

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Sauces

1 cup whipping cream
    1 cup dark brown sugar -- (packed)
    1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

Combine whipping cream and brown sugar in heavy medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Boil until mixture is reduced to 1 cup, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Stir in sweetened condensed milk. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm over medium-low heat just until warm and pourable.)

Makes about 1 1/3 cups.

Description:
    "This recipe is an accompaniment for Mascarpone Cheesecake with Candied Pecans and Dulce de Leche Sauce."
    Source:
    "Bon Appétit January 2003"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2139 Calories; 101g Fat (41.5% calories from fat); 17g Protein; 304g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 378mg Cholesterol; 370mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 20 1/2 Fat; 20 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0

MASCARPONE CHEESECAKE WITH CANDIED PECANS AND DULCE DE LECHE SAUCE

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Dessert

Crust
    8 ounces shortbread cookies
    1/3 cup pecans -- (about 1 1/2 ounces)
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (1/4 stick) melted
    Filling
    12 ounces cream cheese -- room temperature
    2 containers mascarpone cheese -- (8 ounce) * room temperature
    1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    4 large eggs -- room temperature
    CANDIED PECANS
    DULCE DE LECHE SAUCE

For crust:
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Wrap outside of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides with 3 layers of heavy-duty foil. Finely grind shortbread cookies and pecans in processor. Add melted butter and process until crumbs are moistened. Press crumb mixture onto bottom (not sides) of prepared pan. Bake crust until golden, about 15 minutes. Cool crust completely on rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.

For filling:
    Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese in large bowl until smooth. Add mascarpone and flour; beat until smooth, occasionally scraping down sides of bowl with rubber spatula. Gradually add sugar and beat until smooth. Beat in vanilla and lemon juice. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.

Pour filling over crust in pan. Place springform pan in large roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of springform pan. Bake cheesecake until top is golden and cake is almost set (center 2 inches will still move slightly when pan is gently shaken), about 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool cake on rack 1 hour. Refrigerate uncovered overnight. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.)

Arrange Candied Pecans decoratively atop cake. Cut cake into wedges. Serve with Dulce de Leche Sauce.

*Italian cream cheese, available at Italian markets and many supermarkets.

Makes 14 servings.

Source:
    "Bon Appetit January 2003"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 570 Calories; 30g Fat (47.3% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 69g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 141mg Cholesterol; 223mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 5 1/2 Fat; 4 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Dulce de leche is a soft milk-caramel confection that is yet again one of the year's top flavors. If you don't have time to make the sauce, look for it with the ice cream toppings at the market. Note that the baked cheesecake must be chilled overnight before serving.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

*bump* :mad:

Is it just me or is this non-bumping happening to everyone today?

Originally posted by Clover
    I haven't made it myself, but I have had it before when it was made by boiling the unopened can in water. (There is now a warning on the can not to do this, but people do it all the time.)
    That's why they call it DANGER pudding!

I didn't see the biscotti one. I'll look again. Is it baked into the biscotti or is it drizzled on top? Guess I'll do another search.

The crepes look good too. In fact, that gave me the idea to maybe do dulce de leche cannolis using a typical ricotta cheese filling drizzled with the condensed milk stuff.

My main concern is that the condensed milk version won't be very good.

Originally posted by Ms. Chevious

That's why they call it DANGER pudding!
    Oh. I thought you were calling it dangerous because of the high calorie content or something like that -- which is why I was ignoring you. But you are right. The boiling water method of cooking can cause explosions.

The recipe Funnybone posted is here.

The dulce de leche is sandwiched between two layers of dough before baking.

The recipe also gives a double-boiler method for making dulce de leche from the sweetened condensed milk...

Editing to say... Looking at that thread, I see that my can of dulce de leche pre-dated Funnybone's recipe! Memory is so constructive- for the past few months when I've opened my cupboard and seen that can, I've thought "Maybe I'll make that biscotti today..."

Originally posted by claire797

The boiling water method of cooking can cause explosions.
    The main reason I haven't made dulce de leche yet is that it scares me a little too. At Christmas my BIL told me some reason why it can't explode, which I forgot, so I just googled it. Apparently, if it's in water it's like a bain de marie with custard. The milk won't boil because its temperature won't get any higher than the boiling temperature of the water, so it won't explode. If, however, you let the water boil away, it certainly could explode. And you have to let the can cool before you open it, or the hot dulce de leche could shoot out.
    I've also been confused by the varying cooking times in the recipes--anything from 1 1/2 hours to 4 hours. I found that it just depends on the consistency you want--caramelized but runny up to solid.
    The one recipe I'm not going to use is one I just saw that said to bring 1 liter of milk to a boil, add 1 cup of sugar, and stir continuously for approximately 4 hours.

MOst recipes I've seen have been the boil the condensed milk can for three hours variety. However, I did find this...

Dulce de Leche
    Recipe courtesy Alex Garcia

Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 3 hours
    Yield: 8 servings
    1 gallon milk
    3 cups sugar
    3 tablespoons vinegar

In a large stockpot, add the sugar to the milk. Bring to a boil. Separate with the vinegar. Cook until water disappears and only the solids are left and caramelized (about 3 hours). Serve with queso blanco and/or candied fruits

It can be found here

Hope that helps!

The recipe I feel most comfortable with is the one in The Dinner Doctor.

You pour 1 can of condensed milk into a pie plate, cover it, place it in a larger pan with water (the bain de marie) and bake it for 1 hour to 1 1/4 hour at 425. This doesn't seem too terribly hazardous.

Didn't Cooking Light have a Dulce de Leche recipe?

Editing to add: Found it on the recipe finder.

Dulce de Leche
    From Cooking Light

Dulce de leche (DOOL-seh-deh-LEH-chen) is Argentina's national dessert. The traditional recipe calls for whole milk to be boiled down into a sweet, fudgy paste. Our shortcut, which uses fat-free sweetened condensed milk, yields an authentic flavor with a fraction of the effort and fat.
    This recipe goes with Dulce de Leche Crepes

1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk

Preheat oven to 400°.

Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a 9-inch pie plate, and cover with foil. Place the pie plate in a shallow roasting pan. Add enough hot water to the pan to come halfway up the sides of the pie plate. Bake the milk at 400° for 1 1/2 hours, adding additional water as needed.

Remove the pie plate from the water. Uncover, and stir milk with a whisk until smooth.

Yield: 2/3 cup (serving size: about 1 tablespoon)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 112 (0.0% from fat); FAT 0.0g (sat 0.0g, mono 0.0g, poly 0.0g); PROTEIN 3.1g; CARB 24.4g; FIBER 0.0g; CHOL 5mg; IRON 0.0mg; SODIUM 41mg; CALC 102mg;

Cooking Light, JUNE 2001

I personally love Haagen Daazs' Dulce de Leche ice cream. If I made it myself, I'd probably gorge on it until I was sick!
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

--Helen Keller

In my high school Spanish class, we had a food day where everybody brought in food from Spanish-speaking countries, and I made a dessert using the sweetened condensed milk and boiling it in the can to make dulce de leche (I was oblivious to any can-bursting possibilities at the time ), and then I spread the caramel in between 2 big, flat, vanilla wafery kind of cookies - they were crispy, and lightly sweetened. So they turn out like caramel sandwich cookies. Sweet and gooey and very yummy! I can't remember the name of these delicious little treats - and high school wasn't that long ago...honest! I believe they still have the cookie wafers (they're not vanilla wafers, but kinda like pizelles) in the store.

I knew there was another recipe I'd seen recently- it was from the December issue of Gourmet; I found it on epicurious.com. I thought they looked wonderful!

DULCE DE LECHE CHEESECAKE SQUARES

Wheatmeal crackers (sometimes called digestive biscuits) have a flavor similar to graham crackers. For this particular recipe, we prefer Carr's brand wheatmeal crackers, which are available at supermarkets and labeled as "whole wheat crackers." (Don't use Carr's Wheatolos, which are a bit too sweet.)
    Active time: 45 min Start to finish: 9 3/4 hr (includes chilling)

For crust
    3 1/2 oz wheatmeal crackers (sometimes called digestive biscuits), crumbled (1cup)
    2 tablespoons sugar
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

For filling
    1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (from a 1/4-oz envelope)
    1/4 cup whole milk
    8 oz cream cheese, softened
    2 large eggs
    3/8 teaspoon salt
    1 cup dulce de leche (12 1/2 oz)

For glaze
    3 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), coarsely chopped
    1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
    2 teaspoons light corn syrup

Make crust:
    Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 325°F. Line bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with 2 sheets of foil (crisscrossed), leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides.

Finely grind crackers with sugar and a pinch of salt in a food processor. With motor running, add butter, blending until combined. Press mixture evenly onto bottom of baking pan. Bake 10 minutes, then cool in pan on a rack 5 minutes.

Make filling:
    Sprinkle gelatin over milk in a small bowl and let stand 2 minutes to soften.

Beat together cream cheese, eggs, salt, and gelatin mixture in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until well combined, about 2 minutes, then stir in dulce de leche gently but thoroughly. Pour filling over crust, smoothing top, then bake in a hot water bath in oven until center is just set, about 45 minutes. Cool cheesecake completely in pan on rack, about 2 hours. Chill, covered, at least 6 hours.

Glaze cake within 2 hours of serving:
    Heat all glaze ingredients in a double boiler or a small metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring until smooth, then pour over cheesecake, tilting baking pan to coat top evenly. Chill, uncovered, 30 minutes.

Lift cheesecake from pan using foil overhang and cut into 1-inch squares with a thin knife, wiping off knife after each cut.

Cooks' note:
    Cheesecake (without glaze) can be chilled up to 3 days.

*Available at specialty foods shops and Cooking.com.

Makes 64 (1-inch) petits fours.

Gourmet
    December 2003

Gourmet Entertains

Ah ha! Those cheesecake squares are just the ticket!

Shirley, thanks for going to the recipe finder. I never thought I'd find it there. I'm especially glad to hear that fat free condensed milk works. Yahoo!!

Karamel, it seems you're the only person who has ever (knowingly) tried the condensed milk version, so thanks for the review. I don't actually like condensed milk much, so I'm hoping baking it changes the flavor completely.

Just thougt I'd throw in a little trivia: I lived in Chile for a year where the don't call it Dulce de Leche, they call it Manjar prounced man-har. I did a google search and it is the same thing. When I really get to missing Chile I have been known to boil a can (no explosions yet) and crack a bottle of Chilean wine.

Robyn

Originally posted by Robyn1007
    Just thougt I'd throw in a little trivia: I lived in Chile for a year where the don't call it Dulce de Leche, they call it Manjar prounced man-har. I did a google search and it is the same thing. When I really get to missing Chile I have been known to boil a can (no explosions yet) and crack a bottle of Chilean wine.

Robyn
    Ah! Another wine pairing. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for including the pronunciation .

Just to let everyone know that I've been making this for years and have never had a can explode. It was a family treat my grandmother and mother made. Put a can of sweetened condensed milk in a pan with water covering it. Do not let it boil, just keep it at a simmer. As the water evaporates, you keep adding water to keep it covered at all times. It takes about 4 hours to cook. It comes out very thick and after the can has cooled, add some milk to make it thinner. Serve with whipped cream and some chopped walnuts. It is very rich and sinfully delicious!

Claire797,
    Would love to hear what recipe you decide to go with and how it all turns out! Please keep us posted!

BTW, those cheesecake squares look absolutely sinful!

Originally posted by karamel
    Claire797,
    Would love to hear what recipe you decide to go with and how it all turns out! Please keep us posted!

BTW, those cheesecake squares look absolutely sinful!
    Well, I bought the condensed milk and am going to try making the dulce de leche tomorrow. I got distracted by a Five Flavor Poundcake recipe and am making it right now instead.

is the five flavor poundcake the one from recipezaar? I made that and loved it.

btw, I thought those dulce de leche squares looked great too when I saw them in gourmet. but I read some really bad reviews on them on epicurious. that was a while back though. maybe some good reviews have come in since then.

Originally posted by valchemist
    is the five flavor poundcake the one from recipezaar? I made that and loved it.
    Yup! Here's the link. I just took it out of the oven and it smells great. The reviews say to let it rest a day for better flavor.

http://www.recipezaar.com/search/get...id=24612&path=

Doce de Leite

Hi
    I am from Brazil, and Dulce de Leche (in Portuguese: Doce de Leite) is very popular there!
    I usually make mine in the pressure cooker. I put the unopened can of condensed milk inside a pressure cooker and fill it with water until it covers the can. After the pan gets the pressure (after is start to let of steam from the valve), I count around 30-40 minutes, to get a soft consistency. If you want it denser you can let it cook longer. Some people will let it cook for an hour and get a dulce de leche that you can slice, but then it will also have a darker color and slightly different taste.
    Thing to do with the dulce de leche: use as fillings for sweet crepes, also can use as fillings for roulades (or jelly roll - instead of using jelly/jam, I mean). You can also use it as filling for cakes, it is very good! (some people will even add some coconut to ir and use as a filling for birthday cakes).
    There is a lot of possibilities for dulce de leche!
    You can also make the dulce by cooking milk for some long hours... but it does take time and patience. Cooking the can gives a very nice dulce de leche!
    Hope this helps a bit!
    Ana

I've always wondered about this process...now I think I'll have to try it! And I never would have thought to use the pressure cooker. That still scares me, I guess.

But I'm really glad to hear that i could use fat free scm to try it. That soundds like a great project for this weekend. (I'll try the pie pan method.) So many ways to use the dulce de leche...so little time!

karmel-I think what you are remembering are "obleas." I believe they are especially popular in Columbia. I live in South FL in a city with a large South American population and they sell oblea "kits" at the grocery store. They have some of those wafers in there and a big tube of Dulce De Leche and you assemble them whenever you want a snack! I bought a kit once before, but I had to stop cuz I cannot control myself around dulce de leche!

The caramel filled wafers make me think of stroopwaffels - a European treat. (Maybe Dutch?)

I love the idea of placing a cookie like that over my cup of coffee, letting the caramel get all oozy, and savoring avery bite!