Community Message Boards

Thread: Anybody take Cow colostrum?

Anybody take Cow colostrum?

I have been sick for the last 3 weeks (sinus, colds, headache) and a lot overall this winter. Tons more than usual. I see a chiropractor/aucupunturist guy, who started working on my back, but has lately been trying to help me with my sinus problems. Today, since I got sick AGAIN this week, suggested I take New Zealand cow colostrum to boost my immune system. Does anyone else take this or know anything about it?
    "I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride"

My stability ball instructor is taking this stuff and I just thought it was bizarre. I asked my nutritionist about it last night and she had never heard of it.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Hi Beth,

I grew up on a dairy farm, and we always gave our baby calves colostrum for 3-4 days, due to the antibodies present in the colostrum. I've never heard of people actually drinking it. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that cow colostrum has similar properties as breastmilk for the first 1-3 days. With cows, the number of antibodies is extremely high for the first couple of days, and then it gradually goes down a little.

I'm anxious to see if you find our more about this, just out of curiosity.

Sara

Just to clarify, it is in pill form, so you don't actually drink it!!(May I say...yuck!) Anyway, yeah it has antibodies, according to my guy, the antibodies are the same as in human colostrum. I guess I could google it, but thought I would start here cause everyone is so "in the know"!!
    "I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride"

I was unable to find out much about colostrum other than the two opposing camps of "take colostrum for everything because it is miraculous" and "never take anything that isn't 100% scientifically proven" so who knows. I can give my educated opinion, though:

1) Just because cow colostrum is loaded with antibodies, etc, doesn't mean it has a therapeutic effect in humans.

2) How is it processed? These are proteins and other highly fragile components. They will be denatured by heat, chemicals, etc. How do you get colostrum from mommy into a pill form, and is there anything in the pill that does anything, or is it completely denatured and destroyed by that time?

3) I don't know how much of colostrum is dairy protein and carbohydrates like lactose and casein, but in my experience dairy tends to produce mucous and aggravate sinus and respiratory infections.

4) In light of things that are proven to boost immune system function, why bother with something completely unknown? I have studies coming out of my ears for herbs (assuming the right plant, right species, right part, proper processing, etc... in other words, you have to know what you're doing to sift through the junk) that boost the immune system or are indicated for sinus conditions like Andrographis, Astragalus, Echinacea, Siberian Ginseng, Cat's Claw, Burdock, Ganoderma & shiitake mushrooms, Garlic, St John's wort, Eyebright, Albizia, etc etc etc. Again, I wouldn't recommend just picking the cheapest thing off the shelf, but colostrum seems like a weird choice in light of other better-known possibilities. It probably wouldn't be bad for you, but you may be able to spend your money in better ways on something else.
    Chiropractic care is health care for the 21st century.

Hi Beth,

I was so curious about this I did a google search, and I found the website for the New Zealand company that makes the colostrum pills. (I'm glad that they are in pill form!! I've been around enough liquid colostrum in my life, and while calves sure like it, it's definitely not for people.) Anyhow, one of the benefits of the colostrum pills listed on the New Zealand website was protection of the digestive tract.

I'm not sure what benefit you were specifically looking at, but if it's intestinal health, you may consider eating more probiotics.
    Probiotics refers to a select group of microorganisms that, when eaten in certain amounts, can provide health benefits. A few of the many reported health benefits include alleviation of lactose intolerance symptoms, treatment of certain types of diarrhea, enhanced immune function and possibly a reduction in the risk of various cancers. Common probiotics include Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium. A majority of the world's production of probiotics are used in yogurt and milk-based drinks.

That's probably more information than you wanted to know (laughing), but I thought it might be helpful. While I love milk, cheese, and most dairy foods, yogurt isn't one of my favorite foods. I've been trying to incorporate it into my regular rotation of foods, but it's been tough.

Sara

you do not need animal colostrum...the immune system of a CALF would improve but not of a human...

With all the worry of mad cow, I say stick to what we know.

Take lots of raw garlic,
    try astragalus,
    if you are not allergic to mushrooms, you can try dried Maitake or Reishi mushrooms (can be found in pill form),
    and you can try echinacea for a few weeks.
    Take a multi-vitamin.

I'd encourage you to start a saline/nasal rinse to help with your sinus issues.

www.askdrweil.com has some useful (and some odd) suggestions for immune issues.

I hope you feel better soon.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

With all the worry of mad cow, I say stick to what we know.

According to the USDA only neurological tissue needs to be worried about, and even then I wouldn't worry about Mad Cow.

Take lots of raw garlic,
    try astragalus,
    if you are not allergic to mushrooms, you can try dried Maitake or Reishi mushrooms (can be found in pill form),
    and you can try echinacea for a few weeks.

Wallycat, I must be rubbing off on you!

Don't take Astragalus right now. Astragalus should only be used in chronic illnesses or when you are well and trying to boost an overall depressed immune system. When taken during acute illness, astragalus will lengthen the amount of time you are sick. It's used traditionally in Chinese Medicine and the thought process is that Astragalus "seals" the internal energy of the body against the external. This is great in chronic or well patients because it shields them from the external and allows their body to strengthen. In acute patients, though, it seals sickness in and lengthens disease. An esoteric idea, I know, but it has been shown to be true in studies, so avoid it for now.

Echinacea- you need 2.0 grams (or the equivalent extract) of root (not "aerial parts") every day. Should be taken long term for best results. If you bite into the tablet or swisch the liquid around in your mouth you should get a pretty intense tingling sensation. If you don't, it isn't worth taking.

Garlic- whole garlic is good if your stomach will tolerate it, but an enterically coated tablet form sometimes does better for a lot of people. About 2 grams is equivalent to a clove of garlic. If you take raw garlic, crush it first, then eat.

For sinus problems, Eyebright and Golden Seal are great. Stay away from dairy for a while, too. You can do SO many things to boost your immune system it's crazy! You just have to do them the right way. Even restricting sugar, simple carbs and fruits, which convert to cimple carbs pretty rapidly, can have a dramatic effect because viruses and bacteria love simple carbs and thrive on them. If you deprive them they die.

Doc, if you've read some of my earlier posts, you'd know i've never been against supervised herb taking

As for neurologic issues and mad cow---the british are trying to figure out why blood donation would have transmitted the disease in 1 confirmed and 7 suspected cases (and blood is in a lot of stuff not just neurologic). Additionally, the Italians just discovered a variant form of mad-cow prion that is NOT being tested for but more closely resembles the "variant" sporadic cjd found in humans...and if we're not testing for that one we can't really say where it would be found. The Italians are finding it in their beef...but the cows test negative for the prion we think we ought to worry about...then they discovered this new prion....

This link has all of the current info from the USDA on this matter:
    http://www.usda.gov/BSE/

As far as I know, the "fact" that BSE is "caused" by a prion is still a working model, but no prion has actually been seen or identified yet. The US has a pretty safe food supply compared with other countries, and because of this it's only going to get better, so I think a lot of good will come out of this.

USDA,
    aren't they the ones with the if-fy food guide pyramid

USDA,
    aren't they the ones with the if-fy food guide pyramid
    Right you are! This is, however, comparing apples and oranges. The iffy Food Pyramid is, by and large, the result of intense political lobbying by corn and grain producers. Money buys places in politics, good politics buys votes, "everyone" is happy.

On the topic of BSE, though, the USDA would not win much support if a bunch of Americans started getting infected. They have nothing to gain by putting poor meat products on the market in this case. They have a lot to gain by keeping the supply safe. Beef producers, on the other hand, have a lot to lose because they'll be the ones footing the bill for even better quality in the market, but ultimately they'll start charging more and you and I will really pay for it.

So, in one case, the USDA is doing what politicians want in order to continue giving ridiculous government subsidies to grain and especially corn producers (most of which gets converted to high fructose corn syrup, which is killing Americans quite handily) in exchange for money to keep their seats. In the other case, the USDA is protecting interests in American meat industry. They would have nothing to gain by making us feel we're safer than we really are.

I guess I think the meat industry is one of the biggest industries and political lobby organizations...but that's certainly my opinion.

If people start thinking beef is bad, they'll turn to pork, fish and chicken...do I think they have a vested interest to lead us to think there's no danger and we should feel safe...you bet I do!
    Do we know enough...NO.
    It's not fair to the beef industry till we do know more, but taking a supplement which may or may not contribute to additional worries later on seems, again, in my opinion, just not worth it.
    Last edited by wallycat; 02-20-2004 at 06:39 AM.

Yet we all know, with 100% certainty, without a single shred of doubt, the terrible effects of adulterated fats, refined grains and sugars and synthetic sweeteners like high fructose corn syrup, yet we all line up like pigs to the slaughter for it. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'm a lot more comfortable eating beef than a boxed "food" product with 75 chemicals I can't pronounce in it! The cost to the beef industry and USDA would be phenomenal if people found out that they suppressed information about BSE in our food supply. Ever hear of a lawsuit? That would be one big lawsuit, friends! It would make the anti-smoking campaign look like child's play.

I have been sick a lot this winter...sinuses, sneezing, etc. It turns out that I'm allergic to my cats that I've had for 3 years. I thought I had a cold or seasonal allergies. I went to an allergist, and I'm now taking allergy shots. My sinus and "cold" symptoms are now getting better. I would have never believed that I was allergic to something I had in my house for so long.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Colostrum is a reasonably well-known product in New Zealand - I know several people (in an "in passing" kind of way) who've taken it and swear by it. I'm not so utterly convinced - but I'll readily admit I haven't actually put any time into reading up on it or attending any of the seminars.

And on the mad cow front - New Zealand is completely free of mad cow disease (and working pretty hard to stay that way), so if someone did want to try out New Zealand cow colostrum, I think you could rest easy about it as far as disease goes.