Community Message Boards

Thread: Storing meat: freeze raw or cooked?

Storing meat: freeze raw or cooked?

My son loves pot roast and the grocery store is having a good sale on roasts this week. Both my sons are meat lovers; I'm not (dh travels and is often out of town). I want to stock up on the roast, but not sure if I should cut into portions raw and freeze it or cook it first and then freeze it. I've never frozen cooked meat before and I'm not sure if it will affect the taste or not. I usually make a vegetarian kind of dish and then add meat to it for them, so if it's already cooked that will speed up the meal prep.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions! I've learned so much since I found this board. Dh thanks you too. I get inspired by the board; he's never eaten so well

I usually freeze it raw. I would portion it how you please, then wrap in freezer paper, and pop it into a freezer bag for long term storage.

I am one *those* people and if I know it won't be for too long, I just put the whole roast from the grocery bag directly to the freezer, not doing anything special.

Tracy,
    If I remember correctly the storage time for raw meat (properly wrapped...not butcher paper or grocery store plastic) is longer than it is for cooked meat. I would definitely follow Molli's advice and re-wrap in the portions you'll need but use only raw meat.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thank you, Molli and Sneezles, for your help. I was leaning toward raw, but just needed some other opinions to clear it up for me.