Community Message Boards

Thread: Great restaurants in Ft. Myers/ Naples, FL?

Great restaurants in Ft. Myers/ Naples, FL?

I am going on vacation soon to Ft. Myers/ Naples/ Sanibel Island, Florida. I don’t know anyone there and was wondering if anyone has any restaurants that they could recommend. We will be there for a few days so I am interested in cuisine for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Please help!

Thanks!

I can't help you too much with Ft. Myers or Naples, but Sanibel....!!

The Island Cow is great for breakfast (actually for any meal, but we like breakfast there especially) - they put out these big, wonderful muffins on your table when you sit down. And the food is fresh and well prepared.

For dinner we love two places - the Jacaranda - their Steak Oscar, Crab Cakes and the Crab Stuffed Grouper are killer!! We never miss going there at least once on every trip.

And our really favorite place is The Mad Hatter (recommended by someone else on this board - I forget who). It's dinner only, pricey, and you need resesrvations, but man, it's the bomb. It's a small house converted to a restaurant, and it's right on the beach on Sanibel just before the bridge to Captiva. Absolutely amazing food!! A different menu every night. I had scallops in vanilla sauce one night, along with baked goat cheese in raspberry sauce - fabulous wine list, great service, unbelievable view (only at sunset though - once it gets dark, it's pitch black out there and you can't see anything at all).

We always do lunch either in our room (kitchenette) or poolside/beachside at Crocodial's in the Sundial Resort. We walk down the beach in our bathing suits during the day (about a mile from where we stay), stop at Crocodial's - they have a great blackened grouper sandwich and a really great fruit plate, have a nice fru-fru drink, swim a little in the pool, then walk back down the beach.

We love Sanibel and go every other year or so for our anniversary - we also spent our honeymoon there! Anyhow, enjoy your vacation - I'm so envious! Also, I think if you do a search you might find some more threads with some information on Ft. Myers and Naples - I seem to recall there being threads about those in the past.

Okay so I guess this is a little biased but my family actually owns 2 restaurants in Ft. Myers Beach. The first is right on the beach and called The Beach Pierside Grill and the second is the restaurant attached the the Matanzas Inn which is on the canal side of the island. Please feel free to pm me if you want more info (like addresses and such. I really like Ft. Myers and Sanibel Island, I hope you have a great time!

Robyn

Cool

Hi....I can't personally vouch for this one, but I have had friends who have eaten here and enjoyed the unique experience.
    Here is a website that will allow you to check it out. Enjoy your vacation...it is a beautiful island. Hope you have a great time!

http://www.bubbleroomrestaurant.com/

I had a delicious meal at Bacchus & Co (wine cellar and brasserie).

It's located in Fort Myers, in the Bell Tower shopping center. I've only been once, but everything we had was wonderful.

I have also heard of a place called "Tween Waters". Does anyone know anything about that?

That's a pretty wide-spread area . . can you say specifically where you'll be? I have some good ones for the Naples area. Pazzo on Fifth (which is right downtown). Old Naples Pub is a great place too for lunch and dinner.

Pazzo Italian Cafe
    Voted Naples "Best Italian Restaurant". Pazzo! Italian Cafe specializes in mouth watering, creative italian cuisine with modestly priced homemade pastas, fresh local seafood, steaks and more! A winner of numerous awards, with the friendliest service in town!

853 5th Avenue South
    Naples, Florida 34102
    239-434-8494

the same guy owns this rest.

Chops City Grill
    Chops’ innovative cuisine combines American steakhouse classics with Asian cuisine. Chops is known for their prime beef, aged on premises. Gulfshore Life Magazine awarded Chops top honors on their Best Wine List, as they boast over 300 selections of wine. With an enormous selection of appetizers and entrees, be sure to save your decision-making skills to tackle the dessert menu!

837 5th Avenue South
    Naples, Florida 34102
    239-262-4677

Old Naples Pub
    Lighthearted, friendly, neighborly atmosphere in the heart of Old Naples, this is Old Naples’ original pub. Cold beer, supreme burgers. Great evening entertainment. Tropical courtyard dining.

255 3rd Street South
    Naples, Florida 34102
    239-649-8200

This is a great place to go after the day at the beach. I know the cook personally (Rudy). He does a "mean" mexican night on Wed.

We go to Sanibel/Captiva alot, and I have eaten at the Bubble Room mentioned above. It's a fun place to eat and the food is good, too. As a matter of fact most of the meals out I've had on Sanibel or Captiva have always been very good, especially if you stick to the native fish/seafood.

Enjoy,
    Karen

There is a hamburger/diner type place that I LOVE to go to in Naples. It's in the same shopping plaza as Publix...I think. I really wish I could remember the name of it! They have hamburgers that are so big they put your picture on the wall if you finish it.

I'll try to think of it and get back with you! Also, just an fyi, a lot of restaurants and stores in Naples seem to close REALLY early (7 pm?) so keep that in mind when choosing when to eat dinner.
    ERIKA (a dairy-free, and almost soy-free kind of gal)

"I don't know where she got her cooking skills from. I barely have the patience or skill to cook noodles. I'll tell you one thing, though, all she ever wanted to do as a kid was bang on pots and pans." - my mother

For Naples.......

Two places I've eaten at and enjoyed are Campiello's and Zoe's. Zoe's is located on the main drag downtown (5th Ave?). I'm sorry but I don't remember the street for Campiello's but it's near the other restaurant...within 3 minutes driving or so.

Also, at the Ritz-Carlton there's a bar called Gumbo Limbo located right on the beach. It's a fun little place to get a drink and watch the sunset. Make sure you get there well before sunset in order to get a seat. If you don't, though, you're allowed to take your drink and go out on the sand. The food there is...bar food.

Have a great time!!
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

These are all grat - thanks!!

Shoyski - what kind of restaraunts are Campiello's and Zoe's? Italian?

cinnamon_queen - I would love it if you could think of the hamburger place! It's been a long time since I've had a good burger!

The Lighthouse Cafe, on Sanibel.

I've never had anything but breakfast here, but that was really good. The wait can be kind of long, the place was packed when I went.

http://www.lighthousecafe.com/default.htm

I think that cinnamon_queen is thinking of Cheeburger Cheeburger. There are a few locations in Naples, including one on Fifth Avenue (across the street from Zoe's).

Campiello is Northern Italian cuisine and is one of my favorites. It is on Third across the street from Tommy Bahamas.

My favorite new restaurant in Naples is the Bamboo Cafe. It is home style French cuisine. The chef/owner is from France as are a few of the servers. The Nicoise olive tapanade that they serve with the bread is divine. Bamboo Cafe is on 12th St. very close to the Municipal Docks.

Another favorite is Yabba (on Fifth). Later in the evening it can get a little noisy, but the food is great with a hint of Carribean flair.

Also, Bouganstaio is nice. It is very authentic Italian, the family who owns it lives in Italy part of the year. They have a cute little bar attached called the Bellini Bar. Bouganstaio is also on Fifth.

I love Naples and miss living there.. Have a wonderful trip!!

Originally posted by sassafras
    I think that cinnamon_queen is thinking of Cheeburger Cheeburger. There are a few locations in Naples, including one on Fifth Avenue (across the street from Zoe's).
    Yes! That's the place. I have not eaten there in a really long time, but I remember it being a good place to eat. We made it a point to eat there at least once every time I visited.

You'll have to let me know if you go there. I think they might have had great milkshakes too...nice and thick.
    ERIKA (a dairy-free, and almost soy-free kind of gal)

"I don't know where she got her cooking skills from. I barely have the patience or skill to cook noodles. I'll tell you one thing, though, all she ever wanted to do as a kid was bang on pots and pans." - my mother

I guess I would just say that Zoe's is eclectic. I don't really remember there being a "cuisine", per se. I had some type of stir-fry.

The thing that we thought was cool about the place was the community table they had in the front/middle of the restaurant. Of course, no one else there seemed to be interested in making small talk but that was fine. We thought the place was pretty loud so making small talk might have been difficult. It was fun to people watch and lean in close for intimate conversation between ourselves.
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

Originally posted by cinnamon_queen
    Also, just an fyi, a lot of restaurants and stores in Naples seem to close REALLY early (7 pm?) so keep that in mind when choosing when to eat dinner.
    I'd be curious to know what restaurant closes early. I'm usually in Naples in Oct. and after a long day at the beach, we never venture out until atleast 7:00 p.m. I never found a rest. that closed that early! Maybe in the summer?

Yabba is also owned by the same people that own Pazzo's on Fifth. I like the atmosphere there better than the food!

Everyone - thanks for the suggestions! They were great!

We loved Cheeburger Cheeburger! I'm not a big fan of burgers but loved theirs and they were definitely good on the wallet. We went to the one on Sanibel Island. It was a cute place inside.

Pazzo’s on 5th was nice too. The service left a little to be desired but my husband loved the steak and the brown sauce on it. There was also a café across the street, Stars, which my husband loved their gelato.

We went to Bacchus at the Bell Tower Shops for dinner but there was something strange about it. At 6:30 on Friday night, only 2 of their 40+ tables were taken. So we decided to skip them and went to Blue Oyster- 2 doors over. I loved their grilled Mahi Mahi and my husband loved their fettuccine alfredo with shrimp and scallops. They also had a healthy menu as well.

However, I have to say that Island Cow on Sanibel Island was one of my favorites as well. They literally had everything on the menu. I ordered a mixed green salad with fresh fruit, cucumbers, onions and fried oysters with citrus balsamic vinaigrette, which was excellent. And yes, their corn muffins alone, which they pass out as you wait for dinner, were worth the wait. The décor in this place was adorable and the menu and ambiance would appeal to anyone – from families to couples.

This was a welcomed thread - we're heading that way and will cover Sanibel, FtMyers, Captiva Island and Naples. I just finished writing all the suggestions. Thanks everyone!!
    Stephanie

I hope I am not too late to post on this thread. We just returned from Naples and I agree with everyone else - Naples definitely has a wealth of nice places to eat. One of our most favorites is The Turtle Club on Vanderbilt Beach Road. The food there is wonderful but the best part are the free sunsets included. You can make your reservations to sit outside and the view of the sunset there is totally unobstructed. Beautiful!! If you are into Chinese, we like the China Pavilion in the Pavilion Shoppes. I think that's at Tamiami Trail and Vanderbilt Beach Road. Everything there is very fresh. We had lunch at Bayside which is in the Shoppes at Venitian Bay. The view there is very pretty and we discovered a little outside bar that looked fun. If you are into cooking while you are in Naples, make sure you check out the Fresh Market. It's on Tamiami Trail a little further south. They have a great selection of fresh foods along with several pre made selections including pork roasts, chicken, etc. Naples - ahhhhh!!!!

Oh no - forgot!! If you like Mexican food, there's a place called Iguana Mia in Bonita Springs on Tamiami Trail. We took my daughter and son-in-law there and they loved it!!

Tamiami Trail is also Rt. 41 - It's very centrally located!