Community Message Boards

Thread: Making Chicken/Turkey Stock

Making Chicken/Turkey Stock

I cooked a boned in turkey breast this weekend. I have saved the bones and would like to make stock.

Can someone please tell me how to do this? I know I need onions, carrots, celery, maybe garlic, bay leaves, other spices? But how much of any of these should I use?

confused:

Thanks!
    Julie

I use CL's recipe...sans the fennel stalks-local grocer never has them...since you've already roasted the bird just roast the veggies and then proceed (it won't be 1 1/2 hours to roast them either).

Brown Chicken Stock

This recipe goes with Chicken Noodle Soup with Fresh Tarragon, Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, Matzo Ball Soup, Posole (Tomatillo, Chicken, and Hominy Soup)

1/4 pound fennel stalks, cut into 2-inch-thick pieces
    3 carrots, cut into 2-inch-thick pieces
    1 celery stalk, cut into 2-inch-thick pieces
    1 medium onion, unpeeled and quartered
    6 pounds chicken pieces
    1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
    6 parsley sprigs
    5 thyme sprigs
    2 bay leaves
    16 cups cold water, divided

Preheat oven to 400.
    Arrange the first 4 ingredients in the bottom of a broiler or roasting pan, and top with chicken pieces. Bake at 400 for 1 1/2 hours, turning the chicken once every 30 minutes (chicken and vegetables should be very brown).

Place the peppercorns, parsley, thyme, and bay leaves in an 8-quart stockpot. Remove vegetables and chicken from broiler pan, and place in stockpot. Carefully discard the drippings from broiler pan, leaving browned bits. Place broiler pan on stovetop; add 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes, scraping the bottom to loosen the browned bits.

Pour contents of broiler pan into stockpot. Add remaining 12 cups of water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours.

Strain stock through a fine sieve into a large bowl. Reserve chicken for another use; discard remaining solids. Cover and chill stock for 8 hours. Skim solidified fat from surface of broth, and discard.

Yield: 10 cups (serving size: 1 cup)

CALORIES 31 (32% from fat); FAT 1.1g (satfat 0.3g, monofat 0.4g, polyfat 0.2g); PROTEIN 4.7g; CARBOHYDRATE 0.4g; FIBER 0.1g; CHOLESTEROL 15mg; IRON 0.3mg; SODIUM 19mg; CALCIUM 4mg;

Cooking Light, JANUARY 2003
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!