Community Message Boards

Thread: Quick: Cake Mix Question - make it more dense?

Quick: Cake Mix Question - make it more dense?

I need some help please. I need to make little tea cakes for a Girl Scout event, and want to make it as easy as possible.

We have a yellow cake mix, and I was wondering how to make it a little more dense than a regular cupcake.

Sounds like a silly question - but I thought some of you cake mix experts could help us make it a little different than a basic cupcake.

More water? Less water? More eggs? I don't know!

Thanks a lot!

Laurie

If it is a Duncan Hines mix there should be directions on the inside of the box. Follow those instructions instead of the back of the box that should help. I believe the water oil ratio is different on those instructions. One of the types of cake for Duncan Hines though does not have the instructions on the inside and it might be the yellow cake. In that case someone with a Cake Mix Doctor book handy might be able to help. I cannot remember off the top of my head what the different ratio should be.
    Hieka

Wow, Hieka, you rock! Thanks for the speedy answer. I do have a Duncan Hines cake mix, yellow, and it does have directions inside. I never knew about that!

This should take care of our tea cakes - thank you so much for the help.

My daughter is amazed at the swift answer we got to our question.

Off to bake...

Laurie

This is from The Cake Mix Doctor, I've made this before and you can substitute a yellow cake mix - it's a dense pound cake. Make sure your cake mix does not contain any pudding in the mix.

ALMOND CREAM CHEESE POUND CAKE

Serves: 16

Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Baking Time: 35 to 40 minutes

Vegetable oil spray for misting the pan
    Flour for dusting the pan

1 Package (18.5 ounces) butter recipe golden cake mix
    1 Package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
    4 large eggs
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil, such as canola, corn, safflower, soybean or sunflower
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon pure almond extract

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350º F. Lightly mist a 10-inch tube pan (angel food cake pan) with vegetable oil spray, then dust with flour. shake out the excess flour. Set the pan aside.

Place the cake mix, cream cheese, eggs, water, sugar, oil, vanilla, and almond extract in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides down again if needed. The batter should look well blended. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing it out with the rubber spatula. Place the pan in the oven.

Bake the cake until it is golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes. Run a long, sharp knife around the edge of the cake, invert it onto a rack, then invert it onto a serving platter, so that it is right side up.

Slice the cake while it is still a little warm.

* Store this cake, covered in plastic wrap or under a glass dome, at room temperature for up to 1 week. Or freeze it, wrapped in aluminum foil, for up to 6 months. Thaw the cake overnight on the counter before serving.

Just about all of the Cake Mix Doctor recipes use this formula

Cake Mix
    1 cup whole milk
    3-4 eggs
    1/2 cup melted butter

There are plenty of variations, but if you use that combination of ingredients, you should get a denser cake.

Also, check out this link:

http://www.mccormick.com/recipedetail.cfm?id=10808

This recipe is a doctored up yellow cake from McCormick. They actually added more sugar and flour too.

Yellow Birthday Cake

1/2 cup butter, softened
    1/3 cup sugar
    4 eggs
    4 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
    1 package yellow cake mix
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup milk
    1 container (16 ounces) prepared white frosting
    1/2 cup strawberry or raspberry preserves or jelly
    sprinkles

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add remaining ingredients except frosting, preserves, and sprinkles. Beat on medium speed 1 minute, scraping sides of bowl; then beat 2 minutes longer. Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 8 or 9x1 1/2-inch round cake pans.

2. Bake 30 to 33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes; turn cake out on wire rack. Turn layers right side up and cool completely.

3. Spread one cake layer with icing and a layer of strawberry or raspberry preserves, if desired. Frost the top and side of cake with remaining icing. Cover the frosted sides of the cake with sprinkles.