Community Message Boards

Thread: oiling wood cutting board?

Question oiling wood cutting board?

The thread on cutting boards reminded that I wanted to ask ya'll this question:
    Does anyone oil their wood cutting boards and if so, what kind of oil do you use?
    I have 4 wood cutting boards that were made by my grandfather. I seem to remember him telling me that I need to oil them every once in a while. A couple of the boards are looking pretty dried out. I have lemon oil (its pure, no petroleum additives) that I use on furniture--do you think that would work?
    Thanks,
    Jill

When I bought my pizza peel at Williams-Sonoma, they gave me a small bottle of oil to treat it with. I can't recall the name of it, but you may want to check out their website (or store) and see what they're using.

I'd hesitate to use the lemon oil - it may alter the flavor of what you're dicing/chopping/mincing.

Talking

Yes! Definitly MINERAL OIL! If you can find the extra heavy one use it, or the regular.
    I have a butcherblock which I use for everything, cutting meat, rolling dough and I wash it constantly with detergent. Then when it really needs it, I use the mineral oil, leave it on overnite, and then wipe off any of the oil that didn't penetrate.
    Works also on my cutting boards, knive racks etc. Since mineral is considered edible (except it is a laxative) it is the only thing to use.

Talking

Yes! Definitly MINERAL OIL! If you can find the extra heavy one use it, or the regular.
    I have a butcherblock which I use for everything, cutting meat, rolling dough and I wash it constantly with detergent. Then when it really needs it, I use the mineral oil, leave it on overnite, and then wipe off any of the oil that didn't penetrate.
    Works also on my cutting boards, knive racks etc. Since mineral is considered edible (except it is a laxative) it is the only thing to use.

I've been wondering this same thing about a wooden salad bowl. I think it already has some kind of treatment on the surface, but I'm not sure, and the edges are starting to look worn & dry. Should I just try treating it with mineral oil too?

becky, can't hurt.
    and don't worry about the laxative part of mineral oil - usually the board is so "hungry" there isn't much left...

Thanks everyone, for all of your input!
    For some reason I can't access the Williams-Sonoma website to see what's in the oil that Sandy mentioned. I did find this on cooking.com's website:
    "Wood Oil--Made from natural ingredients (including a blend of specially chosen nut oils), Masters Blend Preserve oil is the safest way to protect your wooden kitchen accessories. Use it on everything from your butcher blocks and cutting boards to salad bowls and wood knife blocks. It's especially nice for rejuvenating worn wooden items that have been left untreated."
    And this at amazon.com under how to buy cutting boards. "Wooden boards need oiling once a week to seal the grain against bacteria. Use a product that is 1) edible; and 2) tasteless. Mineral oil is a popular choice. So too is a combination of beeswax and oil. The John Boos butcher block company sells what it calls Boos Mystery Oil, and they have been in business since 1887. Don't use salad oil or olive oil. Either one will turn rancid in time. "
    I try to avoid petroleum products whenever realistically possible, so I'm having a problem with the whole mineral oil thing. I did see it recommended several times when I did the above searches, but it was often specifically stated to use FOOD GRADE mineral oil.
    Has anyone used anything else besides mineral oil?
    Jill

Jill,
    I always have used plain old vegetable (canola) oil from my pantry and it works GREAT, in my opinion! Never even thought about mineral oil. ???! I would love to hear other's opinion on the vegetable oil!
    Lynn

I would NOT use lemon oil. My board I oil with mineral oil...works great...

I agree with luv2cook. A friend of mine made me an absolutely gorgeous cheeseboard for Christmas out of 7 types of wood and highly recommends using mineral oil about twice a year.

Yes, mineral oil. We had all new cabinets made for our kitchen. They told us to use mineral oil on them (the cutting boards) once a month. I don't do it that often, but that's what they said. It won't get rancid.

[This message has been edited by Norma (edited 02-05-2001).]

Question

Jill C - just curious why you avoid petroleum products, is there something we should know? Hope you don't mind my asking.

I guess I need to oil my salad bowls this weekend! Great thread!!

Susan,
    I try to avoid petroleum products for political reasons mostly. I believe that we should try to use renewable resources (such as plant-based products) rather than non-renewable (I include resources that take millions of years to renew in my non-renewable category). So, when I choose skincare products I try to find ones that are made solely of plant materials (Aveda is my favorite). I usually take the bus. In general, I just try to live an environmentally-friendly lifestyle as much as I can.
    So, for political reasons, I'd like to avoid buying mineral oil.
    Just trying to do my small part to make the world a better place.
    Jill

Talking

JillC-thank you for your frank response. I was not aware but will start to make more responsible choices in my purchases. One good product that I also use is Aveeda-love their mint-rosemary shampoo and cream rinse. We don't have a bus system in this area but I try to carpool as often as I can. I plan to start to check all products that I buy and purchase plant-based products!! Again, thanks for educating me on this important issue!! I truly love this bb.

Susan--
    I'm always glad to find a fellow Aveda fan. I love the rosemary mint shampoo. I'm not a morning person and this definitely helps clear my sleep-fuzzy head.
    I'm glad you're going to try to buy plant-based products. I admit that it can be challenging to do in a regular grocery store. It's also often more expensive .
    But there are alternatives that are cheaper than normal like using vinegar or lemon juice in place of regular cleaning products. I bet there are some good websites with tips.
    I love this bb, too!
    Jill