Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with a lot of garlic

Question What to do with a lot of garlic

I was just given a "rope" of garlic as a gift. There is no way I will use it all before it goes bad. Any suggestions?

Here is a wonderful soup recipe created by the board's own Jewel!

Not sure where you're located, but right now in PA, we're back to winter temps and this is tempting me once again.....

GARLIC HARVEST SOUP

1 lb stew beef, diced into bite-sized pieces
    2 tsp olive oil, divided
    30-40 garlic cloves, peeled. (Depends on size. Should make approx 1 cup garlic puree)
    9 cups water
    2 cans (approx 4 cups) beef broth
    1/2 cup barley
    1/2 cup wild rice
    2 cups onion, chopped
    2 cups carrots, chopped
    2 cups celery, chopped
    2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1-1/2 tsp black pepper

Heat 1 tsp olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add stew beef and cook until well-browned. Set aside.

Place 2 cups of water in a large soup pot or Dutch Oven. Add the whole garlic cloves and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Remove garlic cloves with a slotted spoon, reserving water. Mash garlic cloves and remaining 1 tsp olive oil with potato masher, food processer or blender until a thick puree or paste. Set aside.

Add the remaining 7 cups of water and the 2 cans beef broth to the garlic water in the pot. Add the barley and wild rice, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Whisk in the pureed garlic until well blended, then add the beef and remaining ingredients, and continue to simmer until beef and vegetables are tender, approximately 1 hour. Makes approximately 20 cups.
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

How about chicken with 40 cloves of garlic?
    Dianne

I thought about the chicken, but I was also wonering of there was a way of preserving the garlic. I'm pretty sure you cannot freeze it, but I could be wrong. Can I roast it and use the puree later? How should i store it?

Mindy, roasted garlic can be frozen, but I'm not sure how. Surely someone will be along soon enough to tell you....

BOB

Bumping this thread…

Not sure exactly what came over me. . . pesto cravings combined with lots of fresh basil, maybe. . .but I bought the huge canister of peeled garlic cloves from Costco. I busily searched the archives but most recipes such as 40-clove chicken call for unpeeled garlic.

Any new ideas for how to use up my bounty of garlic?

If you've come across recipes calliing for roasted garlic, you can try this alternate method for roasting peeled cloves. According to what I read, the flavor will be different from the results you'd get oven-roasting unpeeled garlic, but maybe it's worth giving a try:

**Roasted Garlic:

Peel as much garlic as you wish. Lightly wipe a heavy skillet with olive
    oil. Add as many peeled garlic cloves as you wish, making sure however
    that they are no more than one layer deep. Over a moderate heat, begin to
    slowly roast your cloves. Flip them frequently to insure even roasting.
    They are done when they are a pale golden brown and are soft when pressure
    is applied. This will take about 30 minutes.

Roasted garlic is a wonderful addition to many dishes. When roasted it
    has a totally different flavor from raw garlic. The harshness goes away
    and you are left with an almost sweet, nut like flavor that is wonderful
    in many things or just very lightly salted and munched on.

--
    (From: www.goodlookingcooking.co.uk )

I've done roasted garlic in the crockpot before... I imagine it would adapt even better for plain cloves. For the regular recipe, it took a LOT of oil and although it made the oil very fragrent and good for use for other things, still seemed like a waste. I might try just putting them in low on a crockpot with just enough oil to mostly cover them, then let it go until they are done?

The straight up recipe for it....

4 whole garlic bulbs or 2 elephant bulbs (or enough to cover the bottom of your crockpot)
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Olive oil

Cut off the top 1/5 of the garlic bulbs exposing the very tops of the cloves with a sharp knife. Place the garlic cut side up in the crockpot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour the olive oil over and around the garlic cloves to come halfway up the garlic bulbs. Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours depending on the size of the garlic. The garlic should be very soft and aromatic. Cool the garlic to room temperature in the oil. Squeeze out the cloves and store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. The oil can be stored with the garlic or separately in a sealed container in the refrigerator for at least a month.

To save garlic I have peeled and then whirled them in the food processor with some olive oil. Then I put in jars and then the freezer. Wasn't too bad, but don't leave them in there forever.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne