Community Message Boards

Thread: Where can I find polenta??

Question Where can I find polenta??

Not the prepared kind, but the kind that I've seen dry and comes in a box. I've seen some prepared kind from Kroger and Whole Foods, but that's not what I'm really looking for.

Can you get it at any run of the mill Publix? If so, in which aisle? I thought it would be in with the pasta or the cornmeal (I've been using cornmeal up until I tasted REAL polenta). Or do I have to get it at a specialty store? If so, does anyone know which specialty stores?

Thanks in advance!

I buy Bob's Red Mill Polenta at Whole Foods, but I'm pretty sure it's available at regular grocery stores. I find it in the baking aisle near the flour.

Kristin

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

Dahlia,

The Publix around here carries the Instant Polenta near the dried beans, rice, an couscous. I usually see it on the top shelf.

I find that the regular stores around here carry the Bob's Red Mill stuff in their Organic Foods section.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Packaged polenta is pretty much just expensive cornmeal. At least, that's what I thought. Polenta is traditionally a plain ol' cornmeal dish, so I'm not certain what anyone would add to the packaging or why. Definitely read the polenta label to be sure. Or is the difference the way the cornmeal is ground??

Packaged polenta is pretty much just expensive cornmeal. At least, that's what I thought... Or is the difference the way the cornmeal is ground??
    That's what I originally thought too, and I've always made it that way before, until I tasted the ones my MIL made. Ohhh, it was 10 times better. I do think it's the way it's ground, because the "real" polenta seems more (much more) coarse and more flavorful to me. She showed me the box, and told me that she just bought it at Publix. Unfortunately, her Publix is 2 states away!

Well, after Lhall's suggestion, I went back to publix (the one at Cumberland in Atlanta), but the closest thing I found (after asking a clerk there) was a box of flavored polenta (sun dried tomatoes flavored), found in the organic foods aisle. I never in a million years would have thought to look for it there! But it's still not what I'm looking for, because I want the plain kind. I checked the ethnic foods section, the rice/bean/cous cous section, the flour/cornmeal section. Nuthin'!! :mad:

I guess I'm not meant to make it at home

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

I've had good luck with the Goya brand of coarse yellow cornmeal for my polentas...
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger

You can order it from Zingerman's. I've gotten it from there before and it's really good. I usually order a number of things from them at once (their breads are amazing), which makes the shipping worth it.

Have you looked at the DeKalb Farmer's Market? or at Harry's? Whole Foods? I think any of those places would have it (with DeKalb being the cheapest)

Up here, I get it at a local store that is similar to what I've heard about Trader Joe's (never been to a TJ). It's called Earth Fare, and I buy polenta in bulk there. There are several grinds of it, so you can have instant, quick, or regular polenta. Just like grits. And, just like grits, the regular is the best.

In fact, we like polenta a lot here. But the first time I made it, we both looked at each other. Why, it's just grits with a fancy name! Who woulda' thought it?!? LOL