Community Message Boards

Thread: VIDALIA/MAUI ONIONS

Question VIDALIA/MAUI ONIONS

Can anyone tell me if Vidalia and Maui onions are a sweeter version of a brown onion, or do they have another flavor altogether? I guess what I'm asking is, do they taste like an onion?
    Thanks,
    Melina

Oh my gosh, how I love Vidalias! They're nature's candy

Yes, they definitely taste like an onion...they're just sweeter, so I usually don't cut one up without popping a few slices in my mouth. I'm not sure what Maui onions are...being in Atlanta, we get plenty of Vidalias year-round, but I don't even think I've seen the others.

I actually drove past Vidalia, Ga., on the way to Savannah two weekends ago...that was so neat!

According to the Food Companion:

Maui, Vidalia and Walla Walla Onions
    Fresh onions that are mild, sweet, and jusicy and named for their place of origin, since, due to soil and climate, they lose thir characteristic sweetness of grown elsewhere. ...they are best eaten raw in sandwiches, in salads,...

The Yellow Onion...usually is too harsh for serving raw but becomes rich and sweet when cooked.

IMO-yes they taste like onions only not as strong as yellow onions.

Thinly sliced vidalia onions, a little salt & pepper, between two slices of lightly buttered bread..........

I used to love this as a kid.

Vidalias aren't always available here (I'm jealous Em!) but I always stock up when I can.

Cool

Thank you, one and all! I'm going to pick up a Vidalia onion this afternoon.

Thanks again,
    Melina

Vidalias are hard to find here, Costco will sell them every spring in a large bag. I absolutely love Maui onions! There is a produce stand (which will reopen in March-can't wait!) nearby that has some and they are wonderful!