Community Message Boards

Thread: Any Bake Sale Ideas?

Any Bake Sale Ideas?

A friend volunteers at a local animal shelter and they're having a bake sale next week to raise money. I offered to bake some things for her to take to the sale, but I'm drawing a blank on ideas. I was thinking of Barefoot Contessa's chocolate chunk cookies (so delicious) or her coconut cupcakes. Do any of you have any great ideas for a bake sale? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Ellen

How about a couple of the different banana breads that were featured a few issues ago? The Chocolate Marbled one was great!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Here are some threads on bake sales. You might check them for ideas.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

If you're packaging for single servings, make a big Texas Sheet Cake with nuts. A nice way to package them is in wax paper bags. (Our local stores carry Wax-Tex bags in a small rectangle box, but I know Reynolds also has such a product. For a while Reynolds was also marketing something called "Rainbow bags" which were the same thing but with five different colored bags in each box.) Just put the piece in, fold over the top twice, punch two holes in the folded part and string some curling ribbon through. Print out a sheet of labels with a pretty font that says something like:

Texas Sheet Cake
    from Cooking Light Magazine

and put a sticker on each one. Sometimes it takes a really sticky sheet to attach to wax paper, so make sure you don't use old sheets of labels. (Learned that the hard way!) Or, print several copies of the recipe for your item on a sheet of pretty paper, cut apart and lay on the wax bag before you punch the holes.

Other ideas:

Muffins with nuts or chunky sugar on top
    Pumpkin bread in thick slices, packaged like the TSC
    Miniature loaves of breads like pumpkin, cranberry-orange, banana, etc.

Don't rule out bake sale favorites like cookies with M&M's or Hershey's Kisses. They may seem lowbrow, but they'll sell well and make money for the shelter.

Dyanne

When I am asked to participate in a bake sale, I always make dog cookies (and I end up raising the most money!!!!!).

Doggie cookies are a great idea! So many people are on diets, they don't buy at bake sales anymore. But I'll bet they would love to buy a treat for their dogs.

I often make little bags of trail mix for bake sales. The organizers appreciate not having to repackage the treats and they sell very well, especially to the mom & toddler crowd.

The other hot seller I've made is Peanut Butter cookies, baked in mini-muffin cups, then after they are out of the oven press a PB cup into each warm cookie. Let them cool before you take them out of the pan. YUM! The problem with these is that I have to wrestle my husband and brother away from them. Too many don't make it out the door!
    ~ I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure ~ Boscoe Pertwee

I hosted a bake sale at church last week and was surpised by the results.

The things that sold well were cupcakes with neon green and blue icing, brownies, bagels, and oatmeal raisin cookies. The muffins did okay, but really did not move well. Several people took brownies and cookies home for dessert.

I participated in one last fall, and one of my submissions went faster than anything else - spiced pecans! I used a recipe I have posted a number of times, called them "Kahlua Spiced Pecans," divided them up by 1/2 cups into cute baggies and charged $1 for them. They were gone in an hour.

Gourmet Pecans
    - from Stop and Smell the Rosemary

1 large egg white
    3 Tbs. Kahlua, Grand Mariner, or other strongly flavored liqueur [I used Kahlua, I also think that Amaretto would be really good]
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    4 cups pecan halves

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Prepare a large jelly roll pan by lining it with tin foil.

Combine the sugar and salt in a bowl, set aside. Combine the egg white and the liqueur in a large bowl, stir well with a whisk. Add the pecans, and stir well. Add sugar to bowl, and stir well to coat.
    Spread onto prepared jelly roll pan in a single layer.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pecans are lightly toasted and browned, stirring every 10 minutes. It will look like the coating is coming off (it's not). Stir from the outside in to keep pecans on the edges from burning, and watch closely since sugar burns easily.

Remove from oven, transfer IMMEDIATELY to wax paper to cool. Pecans keep for two weeks in an airtight container.

Makes 4 cups.

[I always add 1/2 tsp or so of ground cinnamon to the sugar/salt mixture, especially when using Kahlua]
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

I always find the big ole whoopy pies sell best. You can individually wrap them and the bigger they are, the more you can charge for them.
    I wear my toolbelt in the kitchen...

The dog treats might go over well since it's at an animal shelter. There's a great recipe in this thread. dog treats
    At the bake sales I've gone to the individually wrapped oversized cookies have sold well as have popcorn balls, bags of caramel corn, trail mix. At one bake sale, someone made homemade marshmallows and dipped half in chocolate. The volunteers bought most of those before the sale even started.

How about Oreo Chunk Cookies? Those are gobbled up everywhere I take them and they look really yummy too!

Thank you all so much for your wonderful suggestions and ideas!!

Ellen

Ellen,

I just made this receipe for my supper club meeting everyone raved.

Double-Chocolate Chews
    From Cooking Light

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    2/3 cup sifted powdered sugar
    1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
    2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 cup semisweet chocolate mini-morsels, divided
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    2 1/2 tablespoons light-colored corn syrup
    1 tablespoon water
    2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3 egg whites
    Vegetable cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350.
    Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl; stir well, and set aside.

Combine 3/4 cup chocolate morsels and oil in a small saucepan; cook over low heat until chocolate melts, stirring constantly. Pour the melted chocolate mixture into a large bowl, and let cool 5 minutes. Add brown sugar, corn syrup, water, vanilla extract, and egg whites to chocolate mixture; stir well. Stir in flour mixture and remaining chocolate morsels.

Drop dough by level tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. Let cool 2 minutes or until firm. Remove cookies from pans; let cool on wire racks.

Yield: 4 dozen (serving size: 1 cookie)

what the heck is a whoopy pie? Not to sound like an ignoramus or anything...
    ~ I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure ~ Boscoe Pertwee

I would buy the coconut cupcakes....made them once....sinfully delicious.

A Whoopie Pie is like two cookies (chocolate cakey) with marshmellow and confectionary sugar for a thick filling. I think it's where the oreo concept came from originally!
    I wear my toolbelt in the kitchen...

Our school had a bake sale in conjunction with a bingo night not too long ago. The cute gimicky stuff went first.

I did rectangular cookies and decorated them like bingo cards and they were gone in a few minutes.

Any other kind of cute decorated cut-out cookies and cupcakes were the same. I'd be tempted to make cat and dog shaped cookies or decorate cupcakes to look like cats and dogs (I'm sure you can find examples on the Web).

Of course, this was a situation in which kids were there -- I'm not sure if that's the case at the animal shelter sale.

What about No Bake cookies? Have a good recipe for a peanut butter version. Takes 5 minutes, literally, to make and you'll end up with about 30 or so. They're my sister's favorite, so I'm making some tonight since we're flying to Chicago tomorrow. Gotta have snacks!!
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

Originally posted by RebeccaT
    I participated in one last fall, and one of my submissions went faster than anything else - spiced pecans! I used a recipe I have posted a number of times, called them "Kahlua Spiced Pecans," divided them up by 1/2 cups into cute baggies and charged $1 for them. They were gone in an hour.
    These sound awesome! My son's school has a "Spring Fling" coming up soon -- these will be my contribution to the bake sale. Thanks for the idea & recipe!
    Beth
    "If I had a minute for every hour that I've wasted I'd be rich in time." Jack Johnson, "Broken"

Skor squares seem to be very, very popular. I just find them a bit expensive to make. But here's the recipe in case you're interested and haven't seen it. I love them because they're so easy and the ingredients are all pantry items easy to keep on hand for a baking emergency.

Skor Squares

1 box of Ritz crackers, finely crushed
    1 can sweentened condensed milk
    1 bag Skor chips
    1 can vanilla frosting (I use french vanilla)

Mix together crushed crackers and about 9/10ths the bag of Skor chips. Add sweentened condensed milk and stir to combine. Press into 9 inch square pan and bake 20 minutes in 350 degree oven. Let cool. Frost with vanilla icing and sprinkle with remaining Skor chips.

T
    "I'm hungry mother."

"Oh Rolly, you're always hungry."

~101 Dalmations~

Ellen,

Any chance I can get you to share the recipe for the Barefoot Contessa's Chocolate Chunck Cookies?

Her Coconut Thumbprint cookies are good...they may be a nice non-chocolate addition to the bake sale.

Hi JLS, I agree that the coconut thumbprints are wonderful. I made them at Christmas and everyone loved them. Here is the recipe for the chocolate chunk cookies. You'll love these as well. I baked them on a Pampered Chef stone...I do all my cookies on the stone, and they're very good.

Chocolate Chunk Cookies
    Makes 36 ~ 40 cookies

Author's Note: These cookies are so good. They're crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside, and the chocolate chunks make them just so gooey. Be sure to use chocolate chunks, because chocolate chips don't have enough chocolate flavor. It's important to underbake the cookies to get the right texture.

1/2 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
    1 cup light brown sugar, packed
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    2 extra large eggs at room temperature
    2 cups all purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
    1 1/4 pounds semisweet chocolate chunks

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cream the butter and two sugars until light and fluffy in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the vanilla, then the eggs, one at a time, and mix well. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt and add to the butter with the mixer on low speed, mixing only until combined. Fold in the walnuts and chocolte chunks.

Drop the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, using a 1 3/4 inch- diameter ice cream scoop or a rounded tablespoon. Dampen your hands and flatten the dough slightly. Bake for exactly 15 minutes (the cookies will seem underdone). Remove from the oven and let cool slightly on the pan, transer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Originally posted by schuh
    I'd be tempted to make cat and dog shaped cookies or decorate cupcakes to look like cats and dogs .
    This reminds me of a cupcake I saw (I think it was in Family Fun). Make any iced cupcake, then top it with a small chocolate mint patty and three Junior Mints to make it look like a paw print. That would probably do well at your sale!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

I just posted a recipe for Coconut Cream Bars on a thread titled "Coconut Cream Bars". They sound yummy to me!

Thanks, Ellen!

(FYI: not cookie related but...I'm just about to post a review of her Curried Couscous Salad!)

Let us know how the bake sale went!

I would think rice krispy squares would sell well. Kids love these.

78704 - more than a zipcode, it's a lifestyle.
    These are cute and sound easy to make.

Flower Power Cupcakes

Prep Time: 20 min
    Total Time: 3 hr 42 min
    Makes: 24 servings, 1 cupcake each

1 pkg. (2-layer size) white or yellow cake mix
    1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O Brand Gelatin, any flavor
    1 cup boiling water
    1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
    Few drops food coloring, any color
    24 large JET-PUFFED Marshmallows
    24 JET-PUFFED Miniature Marshmallow
    1/4 cup colored sugar or colored sprinkles

PREPARE cake batter and bake as directed on package for cupcakes. Pierce cooled cupcakes with a wooden skewer or large fork at 1/4-inch intervals.

DISSOLVE dry gelatin in boiling water. Carefully spoon 2 tsp. of the gelatin over each cupcake. Refrigerate 3 hours.

TINT whipped topping with food coloring; spread about 2 Tbsp. of the whipped topping onto each cupcake.

CUT each large marshmallow crosswise into 5 pieces with clean kitchen scissors to resemble flower petals. Arrange petals in a flower shape on top of each cupcake; place a miniature marshmallow in center of petals. Sprinkle each with 1/2 tsp. colored sugar.

KRAFT KITCHENS TIPS
    To make cake instead of cupcakes, prepare batter as directed on package; pour into 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake as directed. Cool cake in pan on wire rack 15 min. Poke holes into cake and continue as directed.

NUTRITION INFORMATION
    Nutrition (per serving)
    Calories 170
    Total fat 4g
    Saturated fat 2g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 180mg
    Carbohydrate 31g
    Dietary fiber 0g
    Sugars 21g
    Protein 2g
    Your actions speak so loudly I can hardly hear you - Henry David Thoreau

78704 - more than a zipcode, it's a lifestyle.
    Or these...

and there's a brownie version in the notes...

Cupcake Cones

Recipe Rating:

Prep Time: 10 min
    Total Time: 1 hr 30 min
    Makes: 12 servings

1 pkg. (2-layer size) cake mix, any flavor
    24 COMET Cups
    1 can (16 oz.) ready-to-spread frosting, any flavor

PREPARE cake mix batter as directed on package. Fill cups half way with batter.

BAKE at 350F for 20 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.

FROST cupcake cones with frosting; top with colored sprinkles if desired.

KRAFT KITCHENS TIPS
    Prepare 1 pkg. (18 oz.) brownies as directed on package. Fill 12 COMET Cups halfway with batter. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until done. Frost, if desired.
    Your actions speak so loudly I can hardly hear you - Henry David Thoreau