Community Message Boards

Thread: how long to cook brown rice?

Question how long to cook brown rice?

I've purchased both long grain and short grain brown rice from the bulk bins at Wild Oats, and I'm not sure how long to cook it and how much water to use. Would it be the same for both? It seems like it's 2 parts water to 1 part rice, just like oats, but I'm not sure. And then 45 minutes to cook. Can anyone help?

You are correct on both counts 2:1 water to rice and about 45 minutes cooking time. Thought I'd throw in this tidebit from Cook's Thesarus:

brown rice = whole grain rice Notes: Many rice varieties come as either brown rice or white rice. Brown rice isn't milled as much as white, so it retains the bran and germ. That makes brown rice more fiber-rich, nutritious, and chewy. Unfortunately, it doesn't perform as well as white rice in many recipes. Long grains of brown rice aren't as fluffy and tender, and short grains aren't as sticky. Brown rice also takes about twice as long to cook and has a much shorter shelf life (because of the oil in the germ). Keep it in a cool, dark place for not more than three months. Refrigeration can extend shelf life. Substitutes: converted rice (less chewy, takes less time to cook) OR wild pecan rice OR white rice (Enriched white rich has less fiber, but many of the same nutrients.)
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks for the reply and the interesting info! I thought someone told me that the short grain was stickier than the long grain so I'm glad you shared that with me. I'm fixing blackeyed peas with rice and was planning to use the short grain for that reason, but now I'll fix the long grain instead.

I like to use the following "recipe" when cooking brown rice (if not using my rice cooker):

"Cooking Brown Rice I have been asked a number of times why long grain brown rice becomes so gummy when itís cooked. The answer is quite simple, yet most people donít figure it out for themselves since it just seems natural that youíd stir rice while itís cooking. In fact, some instructions will tell you to stir. But if you want fluffy, not gummy cooked long grain brown rice, then donít stir it at all! For each cup of rice youíre cooking, bring 2 cups water to a boil. For the very best flavor, toast the rice in a heavy pan for a few minutes, reduce the heat, and then carefully pour the boiling water into the rice, add a lid when itís settled down to avoid boiling over, and let it cook for 40 to 45 minutes or until the rice absorbs all of the water. To save a few minutes of time with just a bit less flavor, sprinkle the raw (un-toasted) rice into the pan of boiling water, reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for 40 to 45 minutes or until the rice absorbs all of the water." by Beth Loiselle, RD, LD
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!