Community Message Boards

Thread: Are pectin and gelatin the same thing/interchangeable?

Are pectin and gelatin the same thing/interchangeable?

I'm making a Glazed Fresh Strawberry Pie with a Coconut Graham-Cracker Crust. The recipe calls for 1 TBs pectin. I have "unflavored gelatin" in the pantry - do you think I can sub one for the other?
    Kuvy

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
    Anais Nin (1903-1977)

Not directly. Pectin doesn't have to be heated in order to thicken, but gelatin I believe does. (I've been using a lot of pectin lately -- I thicken up my protein shakes with it. One tablespoon! Yow! I've been through a couple different brands, and at least one of them, with a whole tablespoon you'd be able to drop the entire pie and watch it bounce back off the floor like a Superball...)

Here is what foodsubs.com says about pectin

pectin Equivalents: 2 tablespoons liquid pectin = 4 teaspoons powdered pectin Pronunciation: PECK-tin Notes: In order to make preserves like jams and jellies, you normally cook together fruit, acid, sugar, and pectin, a substance found in certain fruits that gels when heated. Some fruits -- like quinces, gooseberries, tart apples, and sour plums -- contain enough natural pectin that they'll thicken all by themselves into preserves. Others, like cherries and some berries, need an extra boost to firm up. Jam recipes for pectin-deficient fruit normally call for liquid or powdered pectin, which you can find among the baking supplies in most supermarkets. The recipes usually specify what brand of pectin to use, and it's not a good idea to substitute one brand for another, since they have different formulas. Some brands (like Sure Jell and Certo) need acid and sugar to set, some (like Sure Jell for Low Sugar Recipes) need acid and just a little sugar to set, some (like Pomona's Universal Pectin« or Mrs. Wages Lite Home Jell Fruit Pectin«) don't need any sugar to set. Liquid pectin contains sulfite, which can cause an allergic reaction in people with sulfite sensitivites, but powdered pectin does not.
    and here is what they say about gelatin

gelatin = animal jelly = gelatine = unflavored gelatin = unflavored gelatine Pronunciation: JELL-uh-tin Equivalents: One envelope of plain granulated gelatin = 1/4 ounce = 1 tablespoon, enough to gel two cups liquid. 4 sheets leaf gelatin = 1 envelope granulated gelatin = 1 tablespoon granulated gelatin Notes: Gelatin is flavorless and colorless, and if you dissolve it in a hot liquid, the liquid will gel as it cools. When reheated, say in your mouth, the gel melts. Most of us know gelatin as the key ingredient in the quivering dessert we call Jell-O«, but cooks also use it to make cheesecakes, mousses, marshmallows, meringues, chiffon pies, ice cream, nougats, aspics, and many other things. Gelatin will break down if exposed to the enzymes of certain raw fruits, like kiwi fruit, papayas, pineapple, peaches, mangos, guavas, and figs. Cooking these fruits, though, destroys the enzymes. If you plan to add these fruits to a gelatin salad, it's often easiest to buy them in cans, for all canned fruit is pre-cooked. Gelatin is made from the bones, skins, hooves, and connective tissue of animals, including pigs, so it's objectionable to vegetarians and members of certain religions. Kosher gelatins are available, and some of these are also vegetarian. Substitutes: agar (A good choice for vegetarians.) OR guar gum OR carrageen OR arrowroot
    My guess after reading this, is no they aren't interchangable.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?