Community Message Boards

Thread: How long can I refrigerate parboiled chix?

How long can I refrigerate parboiled chix?

I am co-ordinating a cookout at a student's house for my honor society students tomorrow evening. I bought hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken parts, & portobello mushrooms to try to cater to all different diets. I know when I do bone-in chicken on my grill at home, I parboil it first so it doesn't take so long to cook on the grill (especially since dogs & burgers cook so quick). I seem to recall hearing somewhere, though, that once you've started to cook any meat, if you don't cook it completely right away, harmful bacteria could develop which would not be killed if you decided to wait and finish cooking it later. So my question is, can I parboil the chicken tonight and refrigerate it, then bring it to the cookout tomorrow & grill it, or would that be unsafe? Thanks for any advice you can send my way.
    Connie

I have no scientific evidence on this issue but I probably
    wouldn't par boil chicken and then grill it a day later.
    That's just my opinion though.

I wouldn't partially cook it the night before...too much room for bacteria growth. A microwave is reaaly all you'd need to poach the chicken and then finish on the grill. Or a presure cooker!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks, I'll wait till I get there. Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed for sun!
    Connie

You could just totally cook the chicken, refrigerate it, and then put it on the grill for ten minutes to heat it up and get pretty marks and smoky goodness. I know (from all too much experience, cluck) that fully cooked refrigerated chicken is safe for (officially) three (and in my fridge, sometimes four) days. And heck, it works for the fast-food joints.

I don't know if that might give better texture, since microwaved chicken can be a bit bouncy.