Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with Ham Bone?

Question What to do with Ham Bone?

My local grocery had ham on sale for .55 cents per pound -- needless to say we've eaten a lot of ham lately and are left with a couple good ham bones. I'm looking for some good suggestions besides the standard beans and ham. Anyone have any other recipes for a ham bone? I'd like to make a hearty soup, but something other than white beans. Thanks!

You can use your ham bone in split pea soup, or any bean soup. In the meantime you can wrap in alum paper and freeze the bone.

Sorry, I know you said you were interested in hearty soups, but my grandmother (until we told her it wasn't exactly nutritionally correct) used to cook virtually all of her veggies with ham hocks....if you like greens; i.e., collards, turnips, mustards...they were so good cooked that way.

[This message has been edited by emilycat (edited 02-12-2001).]

Definitely split pea soup! I wish I had a ham bone now. I love split pea soup with ham in the winter. I wonder if you could make a lentil soup as well?

Red beans and rice! Back in Mississippi this was really common. I don't know what to do with a ham bone but combine it with beans.

Here's a way to use it without beans-
    Cover ham bone with 2qts water. Simmer for about an hour. Add potatoes, carrots and onions and cook until almost tender. Add wedges of cabbage and cook until all is tender. Remove bone and cut off any bits of meat, add to mixture.

I've had a ham bone in the freezer for about a month now, and these suggestions sounds great. Does anyone have any recipes for them? Maybe Split Pea Soup? Or the Red Beans and Rice? Thanks!

In my house growing up after the Easter ham was finally eaten my mom would use the ham bone to make beet soup or borsht. She boiled the bone and then added cut up beets, onion, sour cream and dill seeds. We loved this and I still miss it.

Smile

Outstanding! Thanks. Sneezles, your suggestion sounds wonderful -- think that'll be what I have for dinner tomorrow. Also, JulieAnn do you have a recipe for the red beans and rice -- I'm not sure how the ham bone is used like that. I think I may have to get more hams!!!! Need some for the Old Fashioned Lentil Soup.

[This message has been edited by Sledge (edited 02-13-2001).]

Here is an excellent lentil soup: I have had this for years and don't know where I got it but it is a favorite of my whole family:

Old Fashioned Lentil Soup

1 pound lentils, dry
    2 quarts nonfat chicken broth
    1-2 ham hocks or ham bones
    1 onion, chopped,
    2 stalks celery, sliced
    3 carrots, sliced
    2 cups tomatoes, canned with juice
    1 large potato, diced
    1 bay leaf
    1 teaspoon thyme
    1/2 teaspoon rosemary
    1-2 teaspoons salt, to taste
    1/2 pound smoked turkey or chicken sausage, such as kielbasa, (optional) sliced into "coins
    fresh ground pepper
    1 tblsp. vinegar
    Wash lentils. Bring stock to a boil in a large dutchoven or soup pot. Add the lentils and ham hocks. Simmer covered 1 hour. Remove ham hocks/bones, allow to cool, then remove the meat and return to the pot. Add remaining ingredients except pepper and vinegar. Simmer another hour or until lentils are tender. Stir in pepper and vinegar. Adjust seasonings and serve.
    306 calories, 5.3g Fat 24.5g protein, 41.7g carbohydrate...8 servings.

I usually add more thyme and rosemary because we really do like "herby" flavor.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by browneye (edited 02-13-2001).]