Community Message Boards

Thread: Bell Peppers About to Go Bad

Bell Peppers About to Go Bad

I've got a yellow pepper and half of each of a green and red pepper on their last legs. Thought about maybe making a rice dish or something along those lines tonight to save them. Any suggestions? Most likely having chicken breasts for dinner, as well, if that helps.
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

What about taking the chicken and finding a good fajita marinade? Then you could just grill or saute it, along with the peppers and some onions, and you could have fajitas for dinner.

Kari

Jen, one of my favorites is Lemony Spanish Pepper Chicken (or something like that ). Sounds like it's just what you need. I always use chicken breasts instead of thighs...

Lemony Spanish Pepper Chicken

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Chicken

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    8 (6 ounce) chicken thighs, skinned
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    cooking spray
    1 1/2 cups red bell pepper strips
    1 1/2 cups green bell pepper strips
    1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    2 tablespoons ketchup

Sprinkle the chicken with oregano, salt, black pepper, and paprika. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and saute 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn chicken over; top with bell peppers, rind and juice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pan. Combine broth and ketchup in a small bowl. Stir ketchup mixture into pan; bring to a boil. Serve pepper mixture with chicken.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 chicken thighs and 1/2 cup pepper mixture). 267 cal, 7.8g fat, 39.4g pro, 8.7g carb, 161mg chol, 609mg sod.

Source:
    "Cooking Light-9/01"

Don't forget you can roast the red ones at least and then peel them and freeze em!

Jasmine-Rose, that looks yummy and I have all those things on hand! I'm intrigued by the ketchup broth mixture. I think I'll make this and just serve it with some rice. Thanks!
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

Jen, I'm glad I could help. I even inspired myself - I'm making it for dinner, too! I had some leftover Rosemary Rice (recipe on the BB) and I wanted to use it up for dinner. I just finished the prep work for the chicken dish, now I'll make the salads while the chicken cooks and the rice reheats.

Let me know what you think of the recipe. Bon appetit!

Great suggestion Jasmine-Rose! I just love that Lemony-Spanish Chicken recipe. I may just have to make that tonight too! I have some peppers in the fridge that need to be used up also.

Yum! We loved it and my husband took leftovers to work. Thanks again. Wish I had thought to try that Rosemary Rice. I had marked that recipe to try earlier. Have to remember to do it soon.