Community Message Boards

Thread: What goes well with meatloaf??

What goes well with meatloaf??

I'm thinking to bring pizza meat loaves for my friends' family who's kid just went through surgery. Usually I make mashed potatoes as side dish, but since I was thinking they may not eat it on that day, maybe something besides mashed potatoes would be good??? But I can't think of anything else...I'll also bring green beans or some sort of greens as a side dish.

Is there anything else that goes well meat loaf??

TIA.

How about a scalloped or au gratin potato dish. There are many recipes on the BB if you do a search, or maybe someone will pop in with one. (I have never made them, myself, but my mom does, and I think it would work fine to reheat later.)
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

If you don't want to do mashed potatoes, how about scalloped potatoes or macaroni & cheese?

Yes! potatoes au gratin is always a winner. I usually do green beans (sometimes sauteed in onions and bacon) or mashed garlic potatoes, macaroni and cheese.

My family's favorite with meat loaf has always been corn on the cob. It's in season right now...Just clean and strip it and put it into a plastic bag ready to drop into a pot!
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Twice baked potatoes are similar idea and reheat well.

Thanks guys!!! I'll probably go with potato dish since we got tons of potatoes. Corn on the cob sounds great, too, though.

When you do scalloped potatoes, how do you slice potatoes?? Use a slicer??

You guys are great.

I usually slice potatoes with a knife or food processor.

Along with a green vegie, I usually serve a lettuce salad with meat loaf. A pre-washed bag of mixed greens, or one with dressing also would be easy.

I don't know if you are considering a dessert or not. Since the meal would be fairly heavy, something light such as a basket of seasonal berries and a light pudding or custard would taste good, and last for two or three days.

I hope the child recovers quickly. Your friend is lucky to have you.

Kay

I made these tonight, they are from Julee Rosso's Fresh Start.

Herbed Scalloped Potatoes

1 pound Gold or russed potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (I don't peel them)
    1 T. finely minced fresh thyme
    4 fresh or dried bay leaves
    2 T. crumbled goat cheese
    1 cup skim milk
    2 T. instant potato flakes
    Freshly ground black pepper (I add a little salt too)

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Lay half the potatoes in an 8 x 8 x 2 casserole. Sprinkle half of the thyme over the potatoes and then layer with the remaining potatoes. Nestle the bay leaves into the potatoes.

3. In a blender, combine the cheese, 1/4 cup milk and the potato flakes and blend until smooth. Add the remaining 3/4 cup milk and blend to combine. Pour over the potatoes, spinkle with the remaining thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for about 20 minutes longer, until the potatoes are fork tender and lightly browned. Remove and discard the bay leaves.

I leave the peels on the potatoes and slice them with a knife. This makes 4 servings, by the way. At 139 calories per serving, 2 g. fat.

I also might consider making jello. Not chic I know, but easy for recovering kids to eat and good for hydration.
    ~ I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure ~ Boscoe Pertwee

Those potatoes sound great! I think I'll make meatloaf and those potatoes for dinner tomorrow.

Speaking of meatloaf, who has a great meatloaf recipe? I have never been able to duplicate my Mother's meatloaf, which was great. she was of Swedish descent, and I know she used allspice in her meatloaf and meatballs, but I have never been able to find a recipe like hers. Anyone have one they think might be similar?