Community Message Boards

Thread: What do you cook when you're sick?

What do you cook when you're sick?

I've been really busy the last couple of weeks, then I came down with a cold that is beyond nasty. I'm over the hump, but now DH has it.

I'm totally tired of fast food, but I'm still too wrung out to really prepare a meal.

Do you have any fallbacks that you make when you're sick or exhausted, but you just can't face a hamburger or a tv dinner? (DH won't eat soup or mushrooms.)
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner

Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup. My mom always made this and I still love it to this day, but only make it when I'm sick.

Poached eggs on plain toast. For some reason, that is always good and easy on the tummy. I also only make it when I'm sick.

Just childhood comfort foods.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Besides soup, I usually make homemade Egg McMuffins when I'm sick. I scramble an egg, maybe add some cheese or ham and put it on a toasted English muffin--YUM! Or a bowl of pasta w/ butter and parmesan cheese or a nice grilled cheese on rye ~obviously I don't worry to much about calories or carbs when I'm sick~

Hope you and DH feel better soon!
    "Nobody likes beets, Dwight! Why don't you grow something that everybody does like? You should grow candy" -Michael Scott

My husband eats soft-boiled eggs and toast sticks.

Tuna and Rice (w/cream of mush soup), noodles and eggs, mac and cheese, chipped beef on toast (SOS). These are only if I feel like cooking. Sometimes I'll just do a ramen noodle thing.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Mac & Cheese....the boxed orange kind. Won't let my kids have it, but if I am sick, bring it on!!

I had forgotten about Campbell's Bean with Bacon...it was a favorite when I was a kid too!
    "I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride"

I go for fast, easy comfort food. Grilled Cheese, an omelet, spaghetti and sauce, etc. (I really hope my Mom will just show up and cook). Fortunately I haven't gotten really sick in a really long time Hope you and Shawn are feeling better soon.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

I don't get sick very often but when I do I like roast turkey.
    I buy those frozen turkey breasts and cook roast them in the oven. Then I like to cook some pasta (corkscrews are really good) in chicken broth and add in bite-sized pieces of the turkey. It's almost like soup but not quite so brothy.

One of those breasts will last several meals in a number of different recipes. Even turkey sandwiches are good with real turkey and not that deli stuff.
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

My comfort foods are oatmeal and sloppy joes because that's what my mother used to make me when I was sick. Other things I eat when I'm sick are cereal, peanut butter sandwiches, pasta and jarred sauce, and pancakes. And I used to love ice cream or applesauce to soothe a sore throat!

Hope you and your DH have a speedy recovery! I was going to say it's no fun to be sick in the summer, but you're in CA so you get nice weather all year.

Kari

I eat sandwiches -- lowfat grilled cheeses, turkey sandwich on good bakery bread, and sometimes chicken quesadillas. I also like veggie burgers quite a bit. Morningstar Farms just came out with a new Thai Flavored burger that tastes great on a whole wheat bun with shredded lettuce and peanut sauce.

Pizza flavored Lean Pockets are also good if you top them with a little mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, sun-dried tomatoes and olives and bake them in the oven. It sounds stupid, but it's like a low-fat stuffed crust pizza that takes 2 seconds to make.

About 9 years ago, I had surgery and just didn't feel like dealing with making large meals.
    I love chicken noodle soup, Ramen Noodles, eggs and chocolate silken pudding (I use the silken tofu).
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I like soft boiled eggs and toast, as well as homemade chicken noodle soup.

If I'm really stuffed up, I find a bowl of very spicy hot and sour soup helps to clear things up for a bit!
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

I think what you are really looking for are really quick, easy, no-fuss dinners. So...do you have a crockpot? If so, you could make dinner in there. That way when you get home at the end of the day, feeling crappy and tired, dinner is all cooked. I like the salsa chicken and the french dip recipes that are posted on the board. Neither one takes too much effort to prepare in the morning either.

How about just broiling some boneless chicken breasts? Roasting chicken legs?
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Originally posted by claire797
    Morningstar Farms just came out with a new Thai Flavored burger that tastes great on a whole wheat bun with shredded lettuce and peanut sauce.
    Ooh, ooh, you don't say!!! I'll have to look for that!

Sorry Colleen for the digression. My favorite thing when I'm sick is ramen soup or tomato soup. Beyond that, I like mac-and-cheese or instant mashed potatoes. Or pasta with a little butter and parmesan. Apparently cold bugs not only cause respiratory distress and fever, they also impair my sense of food snobbery.

When I was a child, my mother would make me "Aunt Yumi" soup, which was named for the wife of a friend of theirs, who happened to be Chinese.

Basically, it was ramen noodle soup, with a bunch of fresh (or probably frozen veggies) in it - carrots, peas, celery. Now that I think about it, she probably just used whatever she had on hand.

To this day, that is still the best stuff (IMHO) for when I am sick. :-)

Jamie

I like miso soup when I'm sick. And herbal tea. Hot stuff seems to be the thing.

Also bread with butter or peanut butter. Simple stuff.
    ~ I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure ~ Boscoe Pertwee

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

DH made me spaghetti before he got sick (and I haven't gotten as far as cleaning up after that yet ).

I'm thinking mac & cheese tonight and a store-bought roasted chicken tomorrow. Hopefully Saturday I'll get my energy back .
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner

When I'm sick, I like tomato soup with cheese in it, served with saltines & thinly spread butter. I never eat this any other time, now that I think about it. Otherwise, macaroni & cheese.

Soup and crackers if I'm sick, but I can hardly remember when I was sick. Now that's a blessing.