Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO an "old" recipe: No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

ISO an "old" recipe: No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

My mom used to make these no bake oatmeal cookies. They were chocolate and oatmeal and you cooked them in a pan on the stove, then let them cool on wax paper to harden. Does anyone have a recipe for these? My mom is out of town and cant be reached for a few weeks.

BTW, I did an internet search and came up with TONS of recipes, but was hoping for a lightened one...and one that had been tried
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

Kim - I have a recipe somewhere that has peanut butter in them too - one of my favorites as a kid. I'll try to find it!
    Charisse

there is one on this board because I've made them, but search is pulling up absolutely nothing for me :mad:

Did yours have coconut in them? I think Rebecca posted a recipe for coconut chewies? Or chocolate oat chewies? I remember the chewie and they were no bake.

JeAnne
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

yum! thanks
    ~Kim~

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

Found it in an old Church recipe book!

No Bake Cookies

Mix in pan:
    2 cups sugar
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1/2 cup milk
    1/4 lb margarine

Put on medium heat and cook until it starts to boil. Remove from heat; cool for one minute. Add:

1 tsp vanilla
    1 pinch salt
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    3 cups quick cooking oats

Stir well. Drop by teaspoons on wax paper. Chill. Store in refrigerator.

Charisse

We love these!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fudge No Bake Cookies

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies/Brownies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/3 cup cocoa
    1/2 cup milk
    1 stick butter -- (1/2 cup)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats -- (2 1/2 to 3 cups--sometimes I use half quick oats and half old fashioned oats)
    1/2 cup peanut butter

Mix sugar, cocoa, milk and butter in a large saucepan.

Bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring. Boil for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes (don't start timing until it comes to a full boil).

Remove from heat and add oatmeal, vanilla, and peanut butter.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto wax paper (I use a cookie scoop). Let set until hardened.

Can store at room temp. or in the fridge.

YEA!!! Tahnks both of you! I should have thought about looking in my old church cookbook...I'll be t there is one in there...probably my moms!
    ~Kim~

Dave Barry

Linda in MO--those sound awesome! I love oatmeal and chocolate together! You don't have the nutritional info on them do you?

And do you think if I subbed skim milk and light butter, it would affect them? Make them too watery maybe?
    "Nobody likes beets, Dwight! Why don't you grow something that everybody does like? You should grow candy" -Michael Scott

Charisse's recipe is the one that we use too - nothing light about it, but still yummy! There's a restaurant in Maine that used to Fedex them (the chocolate version) to John Travolta, so if you're addicted to these, you're in good company!
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

I use both light butter/margarine and skim milk when I make no-bake cookies without a problem. Of course, then I throw in some chocolate chips and mini marshmallows----but my recipe doesn't use peanut butter so it's not so bad--

This 'old' recipe is tried & true...

I posted this not long ago on a thread I started entitled 'Bridal Shower Sweets'. Have fun trying the recipes and reliving some 'old' memories.

Enjoy!

Anna

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dorothy's Chocolate Yummies

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 Cup Butter
    2 Cups Sugar
    1 Teaspoon Vanilla
    1/2 Cup Milk
    4 Tablespoons Cocoa -- (approx. 1/3 cup??)
    3 Cups Rolled Oats
    1 Cup Coconut

Mix together the coconut and rolled oats in a large bowl. Stir all remaining ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until melted. Bring to a boil and boil for no more than 2 minutes. Add the chocolate mixture to the bowl with the coconut and rolled oats. Stir to blend well. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper. Allow to cool and harden. Store in an airtight container or freeze.

Yield:
    "36 Cookies"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 206 Calories (kcal); 8g Total Fat; (33% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 15mg Cholesterol; 57mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Originally posted by Delanl
    Linda in MO--those sound awesome! I love oatmeal and chocolate together! You don't have the nutritional info on them do you?

And do you think if I subbed skim milk and light butter, it would affect them? Make them too watery maybe?
    Sorry, I don't have the nutr. stats. And I know 1% milk works so I'm sure skim would be fine. And I've never used light butter but it looks like Jeannette says it's OK. These are sooo good!

Kim - Here's one (originally posted here, from Holly Clegg's "Trim & Terrific" Cookbook...

No Bake Cookies

1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (I used low fat)
    3 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup margarine (I used butter - never have margarine on hand)
    1/2 cup low-fat peanut butter (chuncky or smooth)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and oatmeal. Set aside.

In a large saucepan, stir the sugar, cocoa, milk, and margarine over medium heat until dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil, and boil for 2 minutes -- this is important. Remove from the heat. Stir in the peanut butter and vanilla until well combined. quickly blend in the oatmeal mixgture. Beat by hand until thickened (a few minutes) if necessary.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper. Refrigerate until firm.

Makes 48
    82 Calories, 3g fat

I thought they were very good! (And easy - bonus!!!)

My great aunt and my grandmother in Tennessee made these for us every time we came for a visit. We always knew them as "Auntie's Chocolate Headache Cookies" as you would eat so many you'd get a headache!!
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

These cookies (chocolate oatmeal no bakes) along with "Special K Chewies" bring back very fond memories of my undergraduate days at Indiana University! The bakery in the Union there (the worlds largest college union-useless fact:-) made them and they were VERY popular! I always brought a bag of them home for my Dad when I went to visit. Anybody else an IU alum with such memories?

Sheila in MD

I got this recipe off the Better Homes & Gardens website. Very similar to recipes posted here, but seemed a little lighter. Would've made Holly from KC's recipe but I didn't have graham crackers on hand. Anyhoo-I made them last night and they are DELISH. Very chocolately and rich.

No Bake Chocolate Cookies

Ingredients:
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1/4 cup margarine
    3 cups quick oats
    Dash of salt

Instructions:
    Combine sugar, cocoa, milk and margarine in saucepan. Cook until begins to boil. Remove from heat and cool 1 minute. Add vanilla, salt, peanut butter and oats. Stir well. Drop by teaspoonfuls on waxed paper.

**I used skim milk and low-fat pb
    "Nobody likes beets, Dwight! Why don't you grow something that everybody does like? You should grow candy" -Michael Scott

Nothing like resurrecting an old thread!

JJeannette, can you post your version of the no bake cookies? without the pb, but with marshmallows?

I don't have it written down anywhere--I'm been making them for so long that I do them from memory--.

2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup margarine ( I use Imperial 1/3 less)
    2/3 cup evaporated milk (I use skim)
    1/2 cup baking cocoa
    pinch of salt
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    3 cups quick oatmeal(scant)
    1 cup chocolate chips
    2 cups mini marshmallows
    1 cup chopped nuts(optional)

Combine sugar, margarine, and evaporated milk in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil stirring constantly and continue to boil for 1 minutes. While the mix is still on the burner, add and stir in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and 1 cup of the marshmallows. When the marshmallows are melted and completely stirred in, add the oatmeal and stir it in. Add the rest of the marshmallows, chocolate chips and nuts and stir in quickly. Drop the mixture by the teaspoon onto wax paper or foil and allow to cool. When set and cool, store in an air tight container.

{I always had trouble with the finished product being grainy so I finally began adding the chocolate chips and marshmallows to make my chocolate mixture more "fudge-like"--I don't remember when the peanut butter disappeared--I think that was because my cookies were often dry and crumbly and peanut butter does thicken things-}

Smile

thank you! thank you! I was hoping that you would see my request!

These are from the quakeroatmeal.com site

3 Minute No Bake Cookies
    2 cups sugar
    1 stick butter
    1/2 cup low-fat milk
    1/3 cup baking cocoa
    3 cups oats(quick or old fashioned)
    1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, butter, milk and cocoa. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Continue boiling 3 minutes, stirring frequently.

2. Remove from heat. Stir in oats.* Drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper. Let stand until firm. Store tightly covered.

nutritional info: 1 cookie
    Calories 90, Calories from fat 30, Total Fat 3g, Saturated Fat 0.5g, Cholesterol 0mg, Total Carbs 15g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 1g, Total Sugars 10g.

*If using old fashioned oats, cool mixture in saucepan 5 minutes.

Originally posted by Tess
    These are from the quakeroatmeal.com site

3 Minute No Bake Cookies
    2 cups sugar
    1 stick butter
    1/2 cup low-fat milk
    1/3 cup baking cocoa
    3 cups oats(quick or old fashioned)
    1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, butter, milk and cocoa. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Continue boiling 3 minutes, stirring frequently.

2. Remove from heat. Stir in oats.* Drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper. Let stand until firm. Store tightly covered.

nutritional info: 1 cookie
    Calories 90, Calories from fat 30, Total Fat 3g, Saturated Fat 0.5g, Cholesterol 0mg, Total Carbs 15g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 1g, Total Sugars 10g.

*If using old fashioned oats, cool mixture in saucepan 5 minutes.
    I think this looks like my moms recipe. If I have everything, I think I might try it this weekesd. I bet she got it off of the quaker oats box!
    ~Kim~

Dave Barry

Those are interesting, as they have no peanutbutter, therefore lower in fat! Will you let me know how they turn out?

I'm going to try jjeannette's recipe too, the idea of whole mini marshmallows sound yummmmmmmmy!

YUM!!!!

The only thing is they didnt firm up. My moms recipe says to boil for 5 minutes, and she said maybe thats why they stayed soft. We just froze them...they are great frozen
    ~Kim~

Dave Barry