Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crock pot cooking

Post Crock pot cooking

I bought a crock pot last year (I watched HSN and was weak and ordered one). Well, I have only used it once and have not taken it out since. Anyone out there use one on a regular basis? Let me hear some pros and cons for this appliance.

I use my CP about twice a month in the winter. I love how easy it is. I usually stick to foods that are usually slow cooked, like roasts, soups, and chili. I love my CP for cooking beans too. I just put them in before I leave for work, and then they are done when I get home. If you'd like some recipes, let me know.
    Mandy

I don't use mine as often as I would like bec. dh is very safety-conscious and will only allow me to use it when I am at home - sort of defeats the purpose in my eyes, but oh well. This wknd I am trying an idea I read somewhere to carmelize onions in it - cut up 2 lg onions in rings, put in some oil or butter and slow cook for 8 hrs. Then you can freeze or refrig to use in french onion soup or whatever. The onions are the long part of fr onion soup, so it sounds like an interesting idea, we'll see if it works. I also find it useful when entertaining to keep things warm (gravy at thanksgiving, esp.) Have fun. sally

I threw in a ham shank and soaked beans yesterday morning for dinner. I had chopped onion, carrots and celery the evening before. Got home made corn bread muffins and dinner was on the table. We use ours a lot. I like whole chickens, roasts and game hens in there, too. Makes it so easy.

My biggest pet peeve about my crockpot is that it never cooks the veggies soft enough. No matter how long I keep them in. The potatoes and onions are still on the hard side. People say well then parboil them. To me that defeats the purpose of using a crockpot. And yes I do cut them into small pieces and place them at the bottom and sides of the pot... I prefer my dutch oven.

[This message has been edited by Leslie w (edited 03-22-2001).]

I use mine all the time, here are a few recipes you might enjoy. I can't endorse them all, since I have not been able to try them (except for the tangy roast - which is excellent), but they all look great to me:

Mary's Hoisin Chicken
    3 pounds chicken thighs and legs, or pieces
    1/4 cup hoisin sauce
    1/4 cup plum chutney or plum sauce
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 medium piece fresh ginger root, thinly sliced
    Juice of 1 lime
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    Remove the skin from the chicken. Use a paper towel to assist in this slippery task. It grips the skin like magic!
    Mix all the ingredients (except chicken) in a bowl. Add chicken, coat well and put it all in a crockpot. Cook 5-6 hours on low. Serve with rice.

Chicken Taco Filling
    1 packet taco seasoning (or 4 Tablespoons bulk taco seasoning)
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
    Dissolve taco seasoning into chicken broth. Place chicken breasts in crockpot and pour chicken broth over. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
    With two forks, shred the chicken meat into bite-sized pieces. Use in soft tacos, hard tacos, burritos, nachos, etc.
    To freeze, place shredded meat into freezer bags with the juices. Press out all the air and seal.

Crockpot Tangy Rump Roast
    1 rump roast, trimmed -- 3 - 5 lbs
    1 package onion soup mix
    1 can cranberry sauce -- jellied
    2 tablespoons butter -- softened
    2 tablespoons flour
    Rinse rump roast and pat dry. Sprinkle the onion soup mix in the bottom of the crockpot. Place the rump roast in next. Spoon the cranberry sauce around and over the roast. Cover and cook on low 10 - 12 hours.
    Remove roast from crockpot and allow to rest while you thicken the gravy. Turn the crockpot up to High. Blend the softened butter and flour into a paste and whisk it into the gravy. Cover and cook on high for about 10 minutes, until thick.
    Slice the roast into 1/4" thick slices and serve with the gravy. The slices may be frozen in the gravy in plastic freezer bags.

Crockpot Refried Beans
    **You must soak the beans the night before**
    1 lb dry pinto beans
    4 cups water
    1 cup brewed coffee
    3 cloves minced garlic
    1 onion, diced
    1 Tablespoon ground cumin
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
    1 teaspoon salt
    Rinse beans, discarding any foreign matter. Place in a large bowl, cover with water and allow to soak at room temperature overnight.
    Drain beans and place in a crockpot along with remaining ingredients. Stir well, cover and cook on low all day, about 8 - 10 hours, until tender.
    Use a potato masher to mash well and stir with a wooden spoon. Continue to mash and stir until desired consistency.
    These freeze well.

Crock Pot Chili
    2 lbs. ground chuck
    1 or 2 med. onions, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    3 to 4 sticks celery, chopped
    1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
    1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
    2 cans kidney beans
    1 tsp. pepper
    3 tsp. chili powder
    1 tsp. garlic salt
    Cook ground chuck; drain grease. Combine all ingredients in a crockpot and cook 4 to 5 hours until done.

Italian Shredded Beef Sandwiches
    Juicy beef, fragrant with garlic, pepper and other spices. A great dish for a crowd, or just freeze the leftovers.
    5 pounds chuck roast
    3 cups water
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon basil
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 package Good Seasonings Italian salad dressing mix
    Trim excess fat from roast. Place roast in crockpot. Mix water with all seasonings and pour over roast. Cover and cook on low 8 - 10 hours. Remove meat, allow to cool slightly and shred, discarding any fat. Return shredded meat to broth in crockpot and cook on high until heated through, 15 minutes to 1/2 hour.
    Use a slotted spoon to serve meat on large buns or rolls.
    May be frozen.

Crockpot All-Purpose Chicken & Broth
    This is not really a main dish, but a painless way to obtain cooked chicken for salads, casseroles, etc. An added bonus is the several cups of double strength chicken broth. Juicy, tender, flavorful chicken and a very rich broth for very little of your time. I like to use those big oven roasters here, but make sure it will fit in your crockpot.
    1 Onion, sliced
    1 Carrot, sliced
    1 Celery rib, sliced
    1 large Chicken, 5 lbs or more
    1/2 c Chicken broth or water
    Place sliced vegetables in the bottom of the crockpot. Sit cleaned chicken on top, neck up. If you wish you may season with herbs, pepper, etc, but this is not necessary. Pour broth over, cover and cook on low 8 or 9 hours.
    Remove chicken from pot and let cool until easy to handle. Meanwhile, strain stock and defat. This stock is double strength, so mix with equal parts water for use. Remove chicken from bones and cut into pieces sized appropriately for your recipe.
    Yield: about 4 - 6 cups of chicken and 3+ cups double strength chicken stock.

Favorite Beef Stew
    This classic cooks unattended in the crockpot and freezes beautifully.
    1 1/2 pounds stew beef -- cubed
    1/4 cup flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons oil
    2 cups hot water
    15 ounces tomato sauce
    1 each onion -- coarsely chopped
    1/2 teaspoon basil
    1 each bay leaf
    2 each potatoes -- cubed
    3 each carrots -- sliced
    2 each celery ribs -- sliced
    Place flour, salt and pepper in a paper bag. Add beef cubes, a few at a time, and shake until coated. Brown meat, in batches, in oil in a large, heavy dutch oven. Place meat cubes in a crockpot as they are browned. Add all remaining ingredients to crockpot, stir, cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. (Note: if doubling recipe, use a large 5 quart crockpot).

Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce
    1. In a frying pan, heat: 2 T. olive oil 2. Add: 1 small onion, finely chopped 3. Saute onion briefly. 4. Add: 1 lb. ground beef 5. Cook, stirring, until beef is browned and onion is tender. 6. Drain off fat and add meat to a 4 qt. crockpot. 7. Add: 1 15.5 oz. can tomato sauce 1 1/2 c. water 1/2 t. pepper 1/2 t. red pepper 1 29 oz. can tomato puree 1 6 oz. can tomato paste 1 t. salt 1/2 t. oregano 1/2 t. basil 8. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. 9. Serve over: hot, cooked spaghetti

I do the caramelized onions all the time. I put whole, peeled onions in pot, cover, cook on low for 15 hours or until brown. I don't add the butter. They are great for making onion soup, thicken and use as a gravy, top off your steak, put on pizza, whatever.

I have also tried a few of the aforementioned recipes. I can recommend Mary's Hoisin chicken and the chicken taco filling.

Here is another link for crockpot recipes:
    http://www.cookingcache.com/crockpot.html

I love my crock pot, and use it frequently in the winter. The best part about it is you put ingredients in before leaving for work in the morning, and when you get home DINNER IS READY! What could be better?

Advice for handling the crock - it's very sensitive to temperature changes. I have cracked and ruined more than one by trying to clean it too soon after cooking, i.e. running cold water into a hot crock or vice versa. Let it sit and cool as long as necessary, then wash with lukewarm water.

I have a great recipe for Tomato-Mushroom Sauce that I'll post when I get back home. We serve it over polenta with garlic and rosemary.

Talking

I love using the crockpot, especially on the days I work. Nothing like walking in and that great smell of cooked dinner! Most people do think of the crockpot as something you use in winter months but it's also great for the summer. No heating up your kitchen!
    Thanks Golilocks for all the recipes! I printed them out. I'm always looking for crockpot recipes!
    And as far as safety, sal, my husband is a fireman so you can imagine the things he doesn't let me do. But I do have to say he's never mentioned the crockpot.

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 03-22-2001).]

My mom gave me a crock pot when I moved to Atlanta in 1991. I've never used it! I've always wanted to learn how, but I've never taken the time. I love pot roast too. I may have to try the one given in this thread.

This one is my favorite:

Ropa Vieja (from a Windsor Vineyards recipe)

2 1/2 - 3 lbs beef roast (boneless), trimmed of fat
    1 envelope onion soup mix
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    1 cup Zinfandel or any dry red wine
    1/2 cup water
    2 - 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
    1 cup picante sauce or bottled salsa

On top of stove, heat oil in dutch oven and brown meat on all sides. Place roast in crock pot, and add onion, onion soup mix, wine, water and picante sauce. Cook on low setting for 8 - 10 hours or high setting for 4 - 5 hours. (You may need to flip the roast over once if the liquids do not completely cover it) Remove the roast and shred the meat. Remove some of the liquids and thicken with flour or cornstarch, return to the pot with the shredded meat and cook until thickened. Serve over rice or noodles, or fill a warm tortilla and garnish with sour cream and avocado.

These two are from Better Homes & Gardens Crockery Cookbook:

White Chili

3 - 15 oz cans great northern or canellini beans, drained
    2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken (or turkey)
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 1/2 cups chopped red, green and/or yellow bell pepper
    2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
    3 1/2 cups chicken broth
    Shredded monterey jack cheese
    Tortilla chips

In crock pot, combine the drained beans, chicken, onion, sweet pepper, jalapeno peppers, garlic, cumin, salt and oregano. Stir in chicken broth.
    Cover, cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
    Ladle soup into bowls (this is a thin chili, not thick). Top each serving with shredded cheese and tortilla chips.
    Serves 8.
    **Tip: I chop all of the vegetables the night before, and put them in a covered bowl filled with water in the refrigerator. In the morning when time is short, I just drain off the water and dump them into the pot with everything else.

Zesty Herbed Tomato-Mushroom Sauce

2 - 16 oz cans whole tomatoes, cut up
    2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (I use the baby bella, which have a bit more flavor than white button)
    1 - 6 oz can tomato paste
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed (optional)
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1 bay leaf

In crock pot, combine undrained tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato paste, onion, garlic, grated Parmesan, oregano, brown sugar, basil, salt, fennel seed, red pepper, and bay leaf.
    Cover, cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours, or high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
    Discard bay leaf. Serve sauce over hot pasta, use in lasagne, or over polenta. Top with grated parmesan cheese.
    Serves 6.
    **Tip: Since tomatoes now come in 14 1/2 oz cans and not 16 oz, I throw in a fresh tomato or some tomato sauce to make up the difference.

[This message has been edited by KathrynY (edited 03-22-2001).]

Smile

Leslie W: I'll switch crocks with you. My veggies are usually mush on low!

I go in spurts - just bought a new corning ware one that I think is 'too hot' and does not need the 'required' time - here is a recipe that I was sent today that I am definitely going to try.

Beans with Tuna

1/3 cup olive oil
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 lb sm white beans -- soak overnight, drain
    2 cup tomatoes, chopped
    2 cans 6.5 oz eawater-pk white chunk tuna, drained
    2 sprigs basil, chopped fine
    Salt and pepper

Saute garlic in oil until brown; discard garlic.
    Combine oil with beans and 1 1/2 quarts water in
    crockpot. Cover and cook on HIGH 2 hours. Turn heat
    to LOW, cover and cook 8 hours. Add remaining
    ingredients, cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.

The only think I use mine for is chili. It seems like such a waste. When I first bought it, I tried making soups in it, but they always turned out way too bland. I understand I need to adjust broth levels etc., but figuring that out almost defeats the purpose. I would like to try spaghetti sauce in it (I love the thought of the sauce simmering all day in the crock pot). Right now, it is the least used item in my kitchen.

I don't use my crock pot as often as I should. I need to take advantage of it more....So easy!!! Last thanksgiving I made crock pot macaroni and cheese. Was a big hit..Wasn't very light but oh well...I'm sure there are substitutions you could make...light or fat free cheese, etc. My friend made crock pot fajitas a couple of weeks ago. They were really good. I should get the recipe....

I have had a crock pot for about 3-4 years and have cooked in it twice. I would use it more if most of the crockpot recipes I find online and in mainstream home/garden magazines weren't bland fare like tuna casserole (I apologize to all fans of this dish, but the thought of hot canned tuna and white cream sauce makes me ill) and things with ground beef and frozen peas. That's why I'd love for CL to come up with more crockpot recipes. Some of the ones that goldilocks posted look promising, however.

Donley has inspired me to try beans in mine, done the way my mother used to make them. I had avoided it in the past because of the use of pork. But I saw a CL recipe for collard greens using hamhocks that was still light. Maybe I'll give it a whirl in April.

Hi,

I posted this back in January and it is excellent. This is from the Sunset 2001 recipe annual.

Enjoy,

Wendy

Merlot Pot Roast with Horseradish Smashed Potatoes

Prep/cook time 8/12 to 9 1/2 hrs on low, 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hrs on high
    notes: prepare the smashed potatoes as soon as the beef is tender; the meat can continue to cook until they are ready. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

1 tied fat trimmed boned beef chck roast (3-31/2 lb) fresh ground pepper
    1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
    3 carrots (about 1/4 lb. each ) rinsed and peeled
    1 onion (1/2 lb), peeled and chopped
    2/3 cup chopped celery
    3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
    1 dried bay leaf
    1 cup Merlot or other dry wine
    1/3 cup canned tomato paste
    1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
    Horseradish smashed potatoes
    (recipe follows)
    1 tablespoon minced parsley
    1 to 2 cups watercress sprigs, rinsed and crisped (optional)
    salt

Rince beef, pat dry, and sprinkle generously all over with fresh ground pepper. Melt butter in a 10-12 inch nonstickfrying pan over high heat. When hot, add beef and brown wekk on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes total.

Meanwhile, cut carrots into sticks about 3/8 inch thick and 2 inches long. In a 4 1/2 quart or larger electric slow cooker, combine carrots, onion, celery,garlic, thyme, peppercorns, and bay leaf. Set beef on vegetables: add drippings. In a small bowl, mix wine and tomato paste; pour over meat and vegetables.

Cover and cook until beef is very tender when pierced, 8 to 9 hours on low, 5 to 6 hours on high. If possible, turn meat over halfway through cooking.

With 2 slotted spoons, transfer meat to a platter; keep warm. Skim and discard any fat from cooking liquid. Turn cooker to high. In a small bowl, blend cornstarch with a 1 1/2 tablespoons water; pour into cooker and stir often until sauce is bubbling, 10-15 minutes.

With a slotted spoon, lift vegetables from cooker and arrange beside meat. Spoon horsradish smashed potatoes onto platter; sprinkle with parsley. Garnish Platter with watercress. Spoon sauce over meat. Slice meat and serve with vegetables, potatoes, and sauce, adding salt to taste.

Per serving without potatoes: 314 calories, 40%(126 cal.) from fal" 34 g protein; 14 g fat (5.6 g sat.) 11 g carb. (2.3 g fiber); 256 mg sodium; 115 mg chol.

Horseradish smashed potatoes

Scrub and peel 13 to 3 1/2 lbs. russett potatoes; cut into 1 1/2 inch chunkd. Put into a 4-5 quart pan with 2 1/2 quarts water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until potatoes mash easily when pressed, 20=25 minutes.

When potatoes are done, heat 1 to 1 1/2 cups half and half or fat skimmed chicken broth with 2 T. butter or margerine in a microwave safe container in a microwave oven at fullpower just until steaming 1 to 3 minutes. Or warm in a 1 to 1 1/2 quart pan over medium heat.

While cream heats, drain potatoes and mash in pan with a mixer or potato masher until almost smooth. Add cream, a portion at a time, and mix until potatoes have the consistency desired. Stir in salt, pepper, and 1 to 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish to taste. Mound beside Merlot pot roast or scrape into a bowl. makes6 to 7 cups 6 to 8 servings.
    per serving: 189 calories, 31% (59cal) from fat; 3.9g protein, 6.6 g. fat (3.9 sat)) 29 g carbo (2.6 g fiber) 55 mg sodium, 19 mg chol.

Dump Cooking is my favorite kind of crock pot cooking. It involves the meat or chicken and the dumping of a bottle of something. Here are my 2 favorites:

Chicken Tacos

(This would be the meat for them...use your imagination by adding it to burritos or tacos or rice or whatever)

Simply dump in some salsa (about 1/4 to 1/2 of a medium jar) into the bottom of crock pot. Put in a few frozen or defrosted chicken breasts. I use 4. Dump in the rest of the jar of salsa. It might look like you need more liquid...don't add more. Turn on high or low depending on how much time you have to let it cook. If chicken is too liquid-y (the salsa really juices it up) then turn it on high with the cover removed and let it simmer for another 1/2 hour or so until some of the liquid has evaporated.

BBQ Beef

Made much the same way. Add some bbq sauce. Add chunks of beef. Dump rest of sauce and cook away. This is really tasty for bbq beef sandwiches.

I like using my slow cooker because it is so nice to come home and have dinner ready. My problem is that I can't ever seem to find good low-fat crock pot recipes. I have a crock pot fajita recipe and a bean and sausage soup that I love, but that is about all I cook in my slow cooker.

Wendy's Merlot Pot Roast was a big hit with my family. Another favorite of ours is Taco Soup - & it couldn't be easier.

Taco Soup

1 lb. ground beef, browned & drained
    1 onion, chopped
    1 pkg. dry taco seasoning mix
    1 pkg Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix (regular, dry)
    1 can each undrained: pinto beans, kidney beans, corn, rotel diced tomatoes w/ green chiles
    2 cans ready cut diced tomatoes (undrained)

Dump all indredients into a large crock pot.
    Cook all day on low.
    Serve with tortilla chips & top with grated cheese.

I'm with the others on the veggies taking forever to cook. Generally, I'll just parboil the veggies when I get home from work, or steam them in the microwave, then toss them in the crockpot for the last hour or so before serving so they soak up at least some of the simmering liquid.

I use mine constantly for stews, beans, and roasts. My family's favorite, however, is my Mushroom Stroganoff. Here it is if you want it!

***Mushroom Stroganoff***

1 Chuck Roast, 3 lbs, cubed in 1" cubes
    1 large onion, chopped
    4 stalks celery, chopped
    2 TBS bottled minced garlic (or 6-8 cloves)
    3 cans Reduced Fat Cream of Mushroom Soup
    1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    4 cups No Yolk Egg Noodles, cooked

1. Mix onions, celery, garlic, soups, salt and pepper together in crockpot, stir in beef cubes to coat thoroughly. Cook on low 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Serve over cooked egg noodles.

When this is cooking, when I come home from work, every stray dog in the neighborhood is on my porch! The aroma can be smelled in the driveway. Leftovers heat well in the microwave too! Hubby tortures his co-workers the next day with this one!

I made KathrynY's Ropa Vieja. It is SO good! Very tender and tasty. I didn't bother with the shredding/thickening part--too lazy. I cooked on high for about 4 hours. Thanks Kathryn!

I love to put in vegetables (potatoes, onions, carrots, green peppers etc) and a piece of meat and just let it go. My vegetables always come out great and I can use the meat in several different meals. In fact, sounds like a great idea for this weekend!

I've used my crock pot to cook in for the past month. It's really been great. I chop up everything to night and then just toss it in the morning, go off to work and when I come home, dinner is ready!
    I think the jambalaya has been one of my favorites. I've also made a great chicken curry and I even tried Rosemary Garlic Red potatoes in it! (they turned out good) I still want to make Pork Vindaloo in it. And possibly a cabbage-roll layered cassorole.
    Hopefully I won't forget about it once my appliances have been delivered.

Originally posted by Kelli Kerrigan
    I think the jambalaya has been one of my favorites.
    Jambalaya?? You have a crockpot Jambalaya recipe?? You can't just post something like that as a total teaser and not come up with the recipe immediately, Girlfriend, it doesn't work that way around here! Cough it up!!!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I made a Jambalaya recipe yesterday which I found on this bulletin board. It was excellent.

Jambalaya:
    12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    2 green peppers, chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 stalks celery, sliced
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 14-1/2 oz can whole tomatoes
    1/3 cup tomato paste
    1 can beef broth
    1 Tbl dried parsley
    1 1/2 tsp dired basil
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp Tabasco sauce
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 # low-fat smoked sausage
    3 cups cooked rice

Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces and smoked sausage 1/2? diagnally-cut slices. Add all ingredients except rice to Crock-Pot. Cover; cook on Low 8 to 10 hours (High: 3 to 4 hours). Stir in rice when ready to serve. 6 servings (big servings!)

Enjoy!

Thanks Luika! That's the recipe I used. Here are the changes that I made to it: I used left over Miss Molly Turkey, only used red peppers because I don't like cooked green peppers, used home made chicken stock instead of the beef broth and used 1 lb of shrimp. (maybe that was the recipe...I thought the one I used called for shrimp and not the sausage, of which I added anyway)
    Very yummy! My dinner guest had two big healpings! And it froze well too! Oh and I tossed in some wild rice too.

Kelli, would you mind sharing your recipe for your Crock Pot Chicken Curry?

Sure............
    2 pounds chicken (I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs)
    2 T fresh grated ginger
    1 T fresh minced garlic
    1/2 c chopped onion
    1/2 t cayenne
    1 T paprika
    2 t curry
    kosher salt to taste
    1 large can diced tomatoes

place all ingredients into crock pot and cook until chicken is tender. (I used frozen chicken and cooked it for 9 hrs)
    Serve with rice and top with chopped cilantro.

I'll vouch for Wendy W's Merlot Pot Roast! I made it for company and got rave reviews!

Here is a recipe my mom invented (or at least I think she did). Super easy and always good!

Crock Pot Chicken

4 boneless skinned chicken breasts
    1 can Campbell's French Onion soup
    3/4 of same can filled with red or white wine
    One Bay Leaf
    Sprinkling of Thyme

Combine all ingredients in crock pot. Cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high. This is a great recipe to experiment with - try different soups, seasonings, etc.