Community Message Boards

Thread: Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking

Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking

I found this product this week at our grocery store. I have tried Splenda in the past and have never liked the way it worked in my baked goods. However, this product has a mix of half sugar and half splenda...less calories, but still has the granulation texture of sugar. I made Pumkin Chocolate Chip bread this AM with it and it turned out with the same consisitency I always get with full sugar...in addition the taste is the same. I will experiment with it this weekend to see if it will cream well with butter (as you know splenda will not do).

Rosalie

Thanks a lot for this product review, Rosalie!

just wondering: any reason why we can't just make our own mixture of half Splenda and half sugar? does this new product have something else besides those two ingredients? I wonder what the price comparison would be between the pre-blended product and making your own.

but anyway, as I said, I really do appreciate your comments and your review of the pumpkin bread. great to know that the splenda version came out the same as the full sugar version.

I look forward to your review on the recipe that involves creaming...

Val

Val...Good point! The ingredients listed are sugar and sucralose (which I assume is Splenda....I don't have a bag of Splenda to check it out). When baking with the Splenda Sugar Blend a 1/2 cup equals 1 cup of sugar. So, instead of the 3 cups of sugar in my Pumpkin Bread, I used 1 1/2 cups of the Splenda Blend.

I think more investigation is warranted! LOL!

Rose

hmmm, that is weird that it is only 1/2 the amount since when subbing Splenda for sugar it is the same (ie. 1 Cup sugar = 1 Cup Splenda). I agree that moer research is needed

Originally posted by Rosechef
    When baking with the Splenda Sugar Blend a 1/2 cup equals 1 cup of sugar.
    that's strange. I always thought it was a 1:1 substitution, from sugar to splenda, so you would think that the same would apply to a blend. am I missing something here? do you suppose that when they are blended together, the regular sugar packs down the splenda or something?

anyone out there feel free to chime in...
    maybe I am having a brain freeze here and overlooking something obvious.

You all are correct...Regular Splenda is a 1:1 ratio. This one is different and the directions to use it read differently. By the way, I found an unopen bag of Splenda in the pantry (thought I had gotten rid of it!), and the ingredients are listed as maltodextrin and sucrolose.

Quote from the Splenda Sugar Blend: "Sugar Blend is a mix of Splenda Brand Sweetner and pure sugar that lets you reduce the sugar in your homemeade baked goods while maintaining the great sugar taste. Splenda Sugar Blend gives you the taste, volume, and moistness you expect in your baked goods, but allows you to use half the amount of sugar that you would ordinarily use. When making your favorite recipes, a half cup of Splenda Sugar Blend replaces the sweetness of a full cup of pure sugar."

The calories for a 1/2 cup of Sugar Blend are 384.

I think I was a bit misleading when I wrote before that the mixture was 1/2 splenda and 1/2 sugar....it does not say that anywhere on the package. Therefore, the consumer has no idea what the measurements of sugar to sucrolose are in the Sugar Blend.

Anyways...it saved me some fat and calories and the bread tasted great. DS (13 yrs) just walked in and devoured 3 slices of the Pumkin bread and never batted an eye or noticed a difference (and he is the true test and he is a pretty discriminating baker!)

Rosalie

Just like with Equal, there are two versions of Splenda: The type that comes in packets is equal to 2 tsp of sugar, but actually measures much less. The granualar version is bulked up so that it measures the same as sugar.

I think this product (which I haven't seen) probably uses the more concentrated version of Splenda. And, there IS no reason you can't mix granular Splenda and sugar on your own -- that's exactly what the Splenda website recommends for baking. In baking, sugar provides structure and some other properties that Splenda can't, so that's why they recommend using part sugar. If you are making something that doesn't require that structural help (like, say, a beverage, or pudding), then you can use 100% Splenda if you like.

I saw this produce in the store the other day and while reading the label noticed something a little odd. I am a big fan of the original splenda and if need be would just mix with sugar myself rather than buy the new version.

Real sugar is 15 calories per 4 grams while this new splenda has 10 calories per 2 grams. So in theory this product actually has more calories than standard white sugar going by their own nutritional label. Huh!

Originally posted by HealthyinMN

Real sugar is 15 calories per 4 grams while this new splenda has 10 calories per 2 grams. So in theory this product actually has more calories than standard white sugar going by their own nutritional label. Huh!
    Yes, sort of. If you are a baker who goes by weight, you shouldn't substitute Splenda gram for gram because Splenda is much lighter. Splenda is geared for people who measure by volume. It is so light, though. Every time I open the package and measure it out, I am astounded at how light it is.

I've seen the Splenda For Baking blend and just automatically assumed it was a way for them to increase profit. It has to me more expensive than regular sugar, right? But I could be wrong. Didn't check the price. I supposed it could be handy for people who don't keep sugar in the house and don't want to.

Originally posted by claire797

Yes, sort of. If you are a baker who goes by weight, you shouldn't substitute Splenda gram for gram because Splenda is much lighter.
    This is true, however if I remember corrently the serving size for the new splenda was 1/2 teaspoon (for the amounts I gave above) and the serving for sugar is 1 teaspoon. Maybe i'm just confusing myself

I've seen the Splenda For Baking blend and just automatically assumed it was a way for them to increase profit. It has to me more expensive than regular sugar, right?
    I believe the bag said it was equal to sweetness of a 4 pound bag of sugar. The price was varies here from 7.99 to 9.99

Originally posted by HealthyinMN

This is true, however if I remember corrently the serving size for the new splenda was 1/2 teaspoon (for the amounts I gave above) and the serving for sugar is 1 teaspoon. Maybe i'm just confusing myself

Ack. I tried to do the math and started getting a headache, but what it boils down to is if you went by weight only and used the new Splenda stuff, whatever you were making would be way too sweet. But most of us measure by volume anyway so it doesn't really apply. The stuff is designed to be measure cup-for-cup equal sweetness of sugar. Sounds like in the end, it won't save many calories. And the price? Eek!

I bought it at the Kroger Grocery...it was $3.00 and change (yes...more expensive than sugar, but worth an experiment *grin*). When you mneasure it, a half cup of the Splenda Blend is equal to 1 cup of sugar....so you use less, not the equal volume as with regular Splenda. I didn't notice a sweeter taste to the pumpkin bread I made.

Will I buy this product again? Probably not as I am not in weight loss mode, nor does anyone in my family have diabetes. However, I do try to limit my sugar, refined carb intake...but truly this product probably doesn't help much in that department! LOL!

I bought it at the Kroger Grocery...it was $3.00 and change (yes...more expensive than sugar, but worth an experiment *grin*). When you mneasure it, a half cup of the Splenda Blend is equal to 1 cup of sugar....so you use less, not the equal volume as with regular Splenda.
    Interesting. I thought it measured cup for cup like regular Splenda. So I guess every recipe has to be modified.

I buy Splenda to experiment with, but most of my experiments (at least with the regular variety) have convinced me to just stick with regular sugar and eat less of it. Splenda, depending on how it's used, often leaves a metallic aftertaste. Not every one senses this, but I do .

I bought it at the Kroger Grocery...it was $3.00 and change (yes...more expensive than sugar, but worth an experiment *grin*).
    I agree. Definitely worth an experiment! And if it works well, even better. I am glad you tried it out and started this thread.

Half the fun of baking is puttering around in the kitchen experimenting with things (the other half of course is tasting the results).

Speaking of experimentation, Have you see the Zero Trans Fat Crisco in your area yet? We don't have it up here in New England.

Val....I am grinning because I just bought the zero trans fat Crisco yesterday! I want to make some Peanut Chocolate Chunk Cookies with it today and see how it compares to regular Crisco. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Rosalie

I am so pathetic. I am jealous of your zero trans fat crisco.

I hope the food snobs aren't reading this thread!

editing to add:
    p.s. that was just a joke.

One more time, with feeling ...

Even the people at Splenda don't recommend using 100% Splenda for BAKING. They recommend using 1/2 sugar and 1/2 granular Splenda (measured by volume, not weight). So, if you haven't had success replacing sugar with all Splenda in baked goods, try it with 1/2 sugar and 1/2 Splenda and you won't be able to tell the difference between it and an all-sugar version. For foods that aren't baked and don't depend on the structural and chemical properties of sugar, if you don't like the taste of using all Splenda, use 1/4 sugar and 3/4 Splenda and you should find that suitable.

I can't afford to waste many starch calories on sugar, even occasionally, so I use only enough to "boost" the taste of the Splenda when absolutely necessary. I think Splenda is a godsend. I have a pretty good palate and I can tell the difference between it and sugar when side-by-side, but it's an acceptable sacrifice for me given the dietary flexibilty and satisfaction it provides.

This product sounds like it combines sugar with the more concentrated (packet) version of Splenda, which is why you use half the volume that you would of sugar. By WEIGHT it will have more calories than sugar, but will be four times as sweet. By VOLUME it will have FEWER calories than sugar and be twice as sweet.