Community Message Boards

Thread: reheating frozen pizza

Question reheating frozen pizza

We ordered too much pizza last weekend. I froze all the leftovers in idividual freezer bags. What's the best way to reheat it? Do I need to defrost it before I put it in the oven?

Do you have a pizza stone? I pre-heat my stone and then throw my leftover pizza on it-it gets crispy and hot in no time!!!
    "Nobody likes beets, Dwight! Why don't you grow something that everybody does like? You should grow candy" -Michael Scott

Unfortunately...no pizza stone.

I would thaw it first. Then I put it in the microwave on LO power and check it during cooking. I don't like it when my cheese becomes one with the plate.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

I saw a great tip on "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" believe it or not. Heat the pizza in a skillet on the stove. It you keep the heat around medium or so, it will heat through without burning the crust. I have reheated thin crust pizza without thawing, but I might defrost anything thicker.

never never never reheat pizza in a microwave. Blech.

well, i'll be the first to admit i kinda actually like my letovers reheated in the microwave , BUT the best way (not the quickest) is in a skillet like gracie said. we used our cast iron on med. low setting, the bottom gets crispy again and then we flip it over for a few seconds so the cheese gets all melty. it helps to put a lid on your skillet while it's cooking the bottom that way you trap the heat and warm up the cheese. i would defrost in fridge if you have time or quickly in microwave then into skillet on stove to crisp up. i actually like this method better than the toaster oven for good crispy pizza! geez, can you tell we eat alot of pizza!?

We reheat ours in the toaster oven, just for 1-2-3 pieces. Anything more than that (for a bigger crowd), it goes in the oven, on the stone.

I personally dislike the texture of the crust after it's been microwaved.

Originally posted by gracey
    I saw a great tip on "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" believe it or not. Heat the pizza in a skillet on the stove. It you keep the heat around medium or so, it will heat through without burning the crust. I have reheated thin crust pizza without thawing, but I might defrost anything thicker.
    We've used both the skillet method and the toaster oven with great success. Be sure you put the pizza on a piece of foil or something if you use a toaster oven- we've had cheese drip down and catch fire. Dramatic but not fun to clean up.

When I used the skillet method, I thawed the pizza briefly in the microwave and then tossed it cheese-side down in a nonstick pan just until the cheese softened. Then I flipped it over and let the crust crisp up, and put a lid on the skillet for a minute or two to re-melt the cheese. It takes less time than it took me to write this post, and it is surprisingly unmessy.