Community Message Boards

Thread: Can mashed potatoes be frozen?

Can mashed potatoes be frozen?

Hubby called me at work yesterday to tell me he was out at a friend's farm, and his friend had offered him "some" fresh broccoli and potatoes. Imagine my surprise when I arrived home to find 3 grocery bags overflowing with broccoli, and another 2 bags filled with potatoes! We have shared the bulk of it with our family and neighbours, and still have more than enough for ourselves.

I can think of a million ways to use up the broccoli, and am thinking of making a batch or two of garlic mashed potatoes to freeze for later. I've never frozen potatoes before though - is it "doable"? Should I try something different with them, something that might freeze better? Thanks for your help!

While I've never done it I have read many recipes for doing it. All of the recipes use a combination of cream cheese and sour cream. Here's an example of one (which comes from a freezer meal cookbook):

*Exported from MasterCook *

Make Ahead Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Recipe By : Adapted from 30 Day Gourmet Freezer Manual
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    5 pounds potatoes -- peel and quarter
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    3 tablespoons butter or margarine -- melted
    1 teaspoon salt
    8 ounces cream cheese -- softened

Place peeled and quartered potatoes in a sauce pan and cover completely with water. Bring to a boil then boil gently until potatoes are tender. Drain potatoes well.

In a large bowl, combine potatoes, cream cheese, egg, garlic powder and salt. Mash well with an electric mixer or by hand if you don't have one. Spoon potatoes into a (Pam) spray treated or greased 3 quart casserole or a 9 x 13 pan.

Drizzle or brush melted butter over potatoes. Refrigerate for up to 2 days or label and freeze for later. Freeze in a Ziploc Bag.

To serve: thaw completely. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes until the top is golden.

Options: 1/4 cup crumbled crisp bacon may be stirred in for great flavor. Potatoes may also be topped with 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese.

Source:
    Adapted from "30 Day Gourmet Freezer Cooking Manual"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 397 Calories (kcal); 17g Total Fat; (38% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 53g Carbohydrate; 66mg Cholesterol; 419mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 3 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thank you - the recipe sounds tasty! I'm glad it included instructions for thawing as well...yay!

Time to start peeling, slicing and mashing!

Mashed potatoes MUST be quite "freezable"... just look at those frozen "TV dinners" out there!

Lynn
    I take life with a grain of salt... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Visit my blog at: http://www.lifewithlynnb.blogspot.com