Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitute for Chili Paste?

Question Substitute for Chili Paste?

A lot of recipes I want to try call for Thai Chili Paste or Chili Paste with Garlic. I can't find either of these (or are they the same?) anywhere around here. Does anyone know what I could substitute for this ingredient? I have a feeling Chili Sauce won't cut it.

Thanks!
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

From Cook's Thesarus:

chile paste = Asian chile paste = chili paste = chilli paste Notes: This is a blend of hot chile peppers, garlic, oil, and salt that's commonly used in Asian cuisine. Includes: Chinese chile (or chili) paste = Szechuan chile (or chili) paste = Sichuan chile (or chili) paste = chile paste with garlic, Korean chile paste, and Vietnamese chile paste = tuong ot toi Vietnam = prik kaeng, which is hotter than the Chinese chile paste. See also separate entries for these other chile pastes: nam prik pao, chile bean paste, sambal oelek, and sambal bajak. Substitutes: hot sauce OR harissa OR crushed red pepper flakes (to taste; start with 1/4 as much) OR dried red chili peppers

Or you could try subbing Srichicha sauce:
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks, sneezles. Can't find Srichicha sauce either. If a recipe calls for the Chili Paste with Garlic and I substitute hot sauce or red pepper flakes, say in a tenderloin recipe (thinking of the Fig Glazed tenderloin), should I add some minced garlic or garlic powder, too?

I think I just need to break down and place a big giant order on ethnicgrocer.com real soon!
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

Originally posted by jtoepfert100
    I think I just need to break down and place a big giant order on ethnicgrocer.com real soon!
    That would be my first choice cause then you get all sorts of goodies ! But until you decide what else to order adding some crushed or minced garlic would be fine...
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Hey jenn believe it or not I've actually found it at super target and super walmart in thier asian section. I'm hooking on that stuff! If all else fails maybe google will have a good recipe or two?

Okay found another one check it out!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...936_47,00.html

Whatever you do, don't use chili sauce if you're referring to the stuff you find next to the ketchup!

I agree with sneezles - I'd just order them from ethnicgrocer.com I think subbing sauces/spices etc. in ethnic cooking really effects the outcome.

patissac, that recipe looks WONDERFUL!