Community Message Boards

Thread: substitution for crushed red pepper?

substitution for crushed red pepper?

I love to use crushed red pepper but am not able to use it due to the seeds that are in it. Do you know of any substitutions I could use?
    Thanks
    sushiroll

So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. John 8:36

Have you prayed about your problem as much as you have talked about it? Anonymous

Hope this helps!

From Cook's Thesaurus:

red pepper flakes = crushed red pepper = pizza pepper Notes: These are dried cayenne peppers that have been crushed. They're often sprinkled on pizza to add heat. Substitutes: cayenne pepper (use less) OR chili paste (use twice as much)
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

This might be more effort than its worth. But if it is just the seeds that are the problem, you could buy a big bag of dried cayenne peppers, break the top off and dump the seeds out and crush whats left over. The seeds are pretty easy to extract from peppers like cayenne.
    Richard

You could soak the red pepper flakes in oil and then use the oil. Or buy some hot chili oil. I don't think it has any seeds, just the heat. a little bit goes a long way.

I agree with Richard; the seeds come of dried chilis so easily. Don't know how it would be without them though. ??
    Chili oil is good, but I guess it would depend on how you're going to use it. (I go through a LOT of red pepper flakes!)