Community Message Boards

Thread: Need recipes easy on the stomach for friend w/cancer

Question Need recipes easy on the stomach for friend w/cancer

I have a dear friend who will be returning next week from his last cancer treatment. When I talked to his wife the other day before they left, she said he's been very sick. I was thinking that when they return it might be nice to take over some soothing soup or something that might go down easy for him (and her). She, of course, has lost lots of weight also. Any recipes you can share would be appreciated. I'm not looking for any light recipes. Thanks!

Roast chicken immediately comes to mind for me. Maybe bake some apples with cinnamon to serve with? I don't have a recipe - I just peel, core, and quarter apples and bake in a covered dish at 350 degrees until soft. I usually pour a little orange juice in the dish to keep them moist. If apples aren't sweet enough you could add a little sugar or splenda. I will sometimes add sweet potatoes to this dish.

sometimes rich, heavy things are not appealing regardless of needed calories. I'd error on the side of lighter in flavor, aroma. chicken soup with some rice or noodles & simple vegies like peas & carrots, mashed potatoes, mac& cheese. rice pudding. some simple roasted chicken with mashed potatoes.

I don't why I missed this post. It is subject very close to my heart. As the saying goes, "been there, done that". I am a 4 year Breast Cancer survivor. I assume he is doing Chemo. Some people get very, very sick afterwards. I can understand this. Your best help can come from the American Cancer Society. They have all the information that you could ever want. They even have a cookbook Called the Cancer Survival Cookbook which is excellent. Things like small frequent meals, ginger ale, clear juices, broth, Jell-o or popsicles. I found yogurt to be good. Avoid greasy, spicy fried food. Dry toast and crackers, soft pretzels, potatoes or dy ceral are good. How about sucking a peppermint?? ACS info: 1-800-acs.234, www.cancer.org I wish I would have had their help when I doing chemo. Do call.

food for cancer patient

Feeding a patient on chemo can be very chalenging as tastes vary sooo wildly. Favorite foods suddenly look and taste disgusting. You'd be wise to ask the wife of your friend if he has any cravings or dislikes. One of my favs was mashed spuds and chicken gravy. Homemade custard made with extra eggs and and cream was a hit for a while. The American Cancer Society has tremendous resources and can be an enormous help. (I was a help phone volunteer for 4 years and was able to assist in many ways).
    Please give them a call at: 800-227-2345
    Bless you for caring!
    Barbara

Re: food for cancer patient

Originally posted by bk
    Feeding a patient on chemo can be very chalenging as tastes vary sooo wildly.
    I can relate to that! DH did not have much of an appetite at all when he went through chemo. On top of that, he had a metallic taste in his mouth that made everything taste bad.

You can ask if there is anything that appeals to him in particular at this point, but I know with DH, he really did not crave anything at all. He just ate because he knew he had to, but nothing really sounded good to him and he had to force himself to eat.

If she doesn't give you any guidance, you can still make him a lovely soup or casserole or something that would freeze well. This way maybe they can freeze it until he does get some of his appetite back.

Also, you will probably want to make something high in calories, but not high in fat. If he is experiencing diarrhea as a chemo side effect, fatty foods can make this worse. And if the cancer involves any of the digestive system, this side-effect is only multiplied even more as my DH found out. A soup with pasta or rice would help up the calories without being fatty.

I don't have any specific recipes to suggest, but maybe as someone suggested - a chicken-noodle soup or a chicken and dumpling soup.

It's so nice of you to try to help. I'm sure that no matter what you decide, your efforts will be greatly appreciated.

Alysha

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and ideas. Unfortunately, my friend will not be recovering, it's just a matter of time. I figured if I took food over they could eat whenever they want. I was thinking maybe a nice chicken noodle soup or maybe even a chicken pot pie, or roast chicken with veggies, etc. I'm definitely going to check with his wife when they get back from the hospital (out of state). If anyone has a super chicken noodle soup, I'd welcome the recipe. I'll also check with the American Cancer Society for any recommendations they might have. Thanks again!

I think a cooked vanilla pudding might be good. You could cut way back on any butter added if the recipe called for a lot.

Chicken Noodle Soup
    1 T. olive oil
    1 c. diced onion
    coarse-grained salt and cracked black pepper
    6 to 8 cups canned chicken broth (the best you can afford)
    One 10-12 oz boneless, skineless chicken breast
    3 cups sliced carrots (about 4 medium)
    1 cup orzo or other small pasta or noodles
    1 to 2 cups peas (frozen are fine)
    1/2 cup loosely packed, roughly chopped flat-leafed parsley

In a medium soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, to pot and stir until evenly coated with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occaisionally, until translucent, about 15 minutes. Add a splash of chicken broth if onions are ever in jeopardy of burning.

When onion has completely softened, add chicken broth, chicken breast (left whole), and carrots to pot. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, or until chicken breast is cooked through. Remove chicken breast and shred when cool.

Meanwhile add orzo to soup and cook 10 minutes, until al dente, then add peas. Cook for another 5 minutes. Return chicken to pot along with the parsley. Taste and correct seasonings. Cook one minute more. Serve immediately.

(I have used shredded roasted or rotisserie chicken, but that would mean more fat. You could leave out the peas if your friend wouldn't like them. This soup is very good, but isn't so seasoned that it is hard on the stomach. I get a good boxed broth like Trader Joes' organic.)

I am so sorry about your friend. You are a very special person to be helping them out like this. It makes me happy to see friends who stick by their friends in trouble.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Forgot to credit the recipe. Its Kathleen Daelmans' from Cooking Thin.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Thanks for the recipe - it looks great. In addition to him being a dear friend, he has a very special place in our heart because he married us.

I don't have any particular recipes in mind, but I wondered about making a couple kinds of soup and bringing them over packaged and labeled in small freezer containers. That way, they can put them in the freezer and eat what they want, when they want/can. This might be helpful to your friend's wife, down this road, as well.

They are lucky to have good friends like you thinking of them!

When my brother was going through treatment for metastatic kidney cancer and had no appetite, one of the few things that appealed to him was mashed potatoes. So my reponse is mashed potatoes and simple chicken.

He is 14 + years clean from what was assumed to be terminal cancer. Find his web site at
    http://www.cancerguide.org/

Very helpful site for those making treatment choices and dealing with the roller coaster.

FWIW

-Susan
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

I don't remember which month/year it was, but I have made the Chock Full Chicken Soup from CL several times- there's a little spinach in it, but otherwise very easy to eat. It came from an article about making your own chicken stock, if that helps.

Another useful thing to make would be plain muffins- they can be frozen and warmed up as wanted- not as daunting as a full meal.