Community Message Boards

Thread: Pepper substitutes?

Post Pepper substitutes?

I thought I'd ask all the wonderful people on this board for some ideas. My problem is this: Although I like bell peppers (red, green, yellow, etc.), my husband really doesn't like them. I find a lot of CLs recipes call for peppers. Not that I find that a bad thing, but I'm wondering if there's another vegetable I can substitute. (He even dislikes the roasted peppers - and can always tell if I "sneak" them in.)

Any suggestions?

TIA

Shirley

Lightbulb

Wow, this is a toughie. Since bell peppers have such a distinctive taste, substituting some other vegetable would make the recipe a whole 'nother dish. But here are some possibilities that would at least keep similar dynamics of texture, if that's what you want:

- Asparagus
    - Broccoli stalks
    - Swiss chard or bok choy (mostly stalks)
    - Mixed root vegetables

Let us know what you try and what results you get. And good luck!

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Lightbulb

I have been dealing witht he problem of tyring to find subsitutes for peppers in recipes for a while because I don't like them at all. My solution depends on the what seems like it will work for that recipe. For some I can just leave them out and increase some of the other ingredients, such as in a stir fry. Most often I use onion in place of the pepper( I like onion so a recipe with a lot of onion in it is fine with me). I also use scallions or carrots. If subsituting vegetables like that won't work I often have to just skip trying that recipe.

I found that you can substitute as follows: One tablespoon dried = 3 tablespoon chopped fresh.