Community Message Boards
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Favorite products which have been discontinued

Talking

Hometown Favorites was a great link! Much to my surprise, Maple Cream Buns are available there! The trouble is, what would I pay for one 65 cent candy bar when shipping & handling is added in? Anyway, since I gave up chocolate and candy for Lent, I may order a few for my Easter treat.

Sad to say, Kraft Miracle French is on their list of discontinued products.

Talking

Okay- I just HAD to reply to this one!
    I really miss Baked tostitos in the salsa and cream cheese flavor. And I think they have discontinued the Laughing Cow light original cheese triangles- I'm going crazy looking for them..

Star- I totally forgot about the ice cream cone cereal- I loved that!
    Jhdlcomb- I didnt know anyone else knew about Kinder Bueno bars--- I got addicted to them in the UK... and I found a stash at the airport in Puerto Rico, of all places

For everyone missing HC string cheese, I've found Polly O light to be a good substitute (best when it comes to room temp)

brooke4- I just bought some of those Laughing Cow Light Cheese triangles last week! I live in PA and shop at Giant Eagle. See if you can track them down!

laden, I also miss the Healthy Choice Breakfast sausages. When both of the major grocery stores I shop at (Albersons and Safeway) stopped selling them, I figured they were discontinued.

Today, just for the heck of it...I called Healthy Choice and asked if the breakfast sausages were sold anywhere in my area. And they are! Fred Meyer and QFC sells them.

So, maybe you might have the same luck as I did! Their number is 1-800-323-9980.

Good Luck!

Someone brought up the HC Breakfast sausage. I can get it frozen, but it's really awful. They used to have two varieties, regrigerated that was vacuum-packed in plastic, and the frozen. The frozen are just laying around the box with no wrapping, getting iced-over and freezer-burned. I tried them once, and said never again! Can't find the refrigerated ones anywhere anymore. We LOVED that stuff!

I just remembered another one too: Merry Kitchen used to make a Roast Turkey Hash that was so similar to canned corned beef hash with less than half the fat. I make my own corned beef hash now, but it's a bit more time consuming!! It was kind of nice to open a can sometimes.

Does anyone get the idea that healthy is 'out'? This surprises me since the diet and fitness craze has never been more prevalent. You'd think that the fatfree and lower fat items would be flying off the shelves, and the full fat stuff would be sitting there! As a society are we that ignorant?? It just bothers me that as soon as I find something lowfat that my husband and I enjoy, I automatically buy a stock of the item and put it in my basement. I actually have quite a bit of that HC Alfredo sauce, but I wish I had the freezer or fridge space to stock-pile some of the other stuff. They tease us...that's what it is!

There were lots of comments about Healthy Choice products. I stopped buying their cheese at Publix because after 1-2 days it would go green. Definitely a quality control or poor handling problem somewhere in the manufacturing or distribution process. I know I complained to store managers and after a while they dropped it from the shelves. I wonder how many others had this problem and was it limited to their grated cheese.

SandyM-I am the *other* person who loved Pepsi Light!!

Of course, I miss terribly the low fat chocolate chips, but still have a few bags stockpiled.

One last thing-do ya'll remember pudding pops? I haven't seen these since college. Anyone?

Was searching for something unrelated and this thread came up. I miss Jell-o Pudding Pops!

They still sell Quisp at our local grocery store, though. And we have lots and lots of Thomas English Muffins. As for Freshen-Up (I LOVE that stuff!), I found some a few months ago at a hospital gift shop, of all places. Tostitos does make Spicy Quesadilla chips--but I don't think they are the low-fat ones.
    Blogging Fun
    Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. -Michael Pollan

Man, I was wondering where the Hormel Turkey pepperoni went! AArgh!!! And Carnation breakfast bars, I had forgotten about those. Ate them by the box!

Another product that's getting very hard to find here is the Land o Lakes light butter (half the calories of butter, great for baking).

The post about the "footsies" reminded me I had one of those toys, only it was called a "joggle".

Does anybody remember those weird little snack sticks in the early 1970s called Space Food Sticks? Kind of like a Tootsie Roll gone bad -- were supposed to be the "official food" of the U.S. astronauts.

My sister and I miss Jell-o Pudding pops, although Dairy Queen makes a fat-free, sugar-free fudge bar that is somewhat similar. I also miss the light menu at Taco Bell. And Tostitos made a black bean dip in a jar, that was sooo good, but I can't find it anywhere. It may be that I now live in KY, and they have no Publix here (the best grocery store that ever was!)

Kelloggs made a cereal called "Country Inn". This was the bestest. They also discontinued a cereal called "Oat Bake" which was also very good.

I miss the Land-o-Lakes Cookie. I bought those by the barrel. Also, I miss Stroh's Pineapple Orange Ice Cream and Healthy Choice's Garlic Lovers Cheese.

At resturants, Wendy's used to make breakfast omlettes. They were the best and made to order.

Best of Texas orginal barbacue sauce. Not sure if it has been discontinued or stores around here stopped carrying it. Bummer. It was great, not sweet.

I missed the veggie bags this summer too.

-Susan

Oh Barbara! - I don't know if I should tell you this or not, but while the original HD Deep Chocolate Peanut Butter disappeared, you can now find HD Chocolate Peanut Butter and I can't tell any difference! They have it in their "Scoop Shops" but also I find it at Safeway and Giant supermarkets and even 7-11's in VA/MD. I love this stuff....I decided a long time ago that if I was going to "spend" calories on ice cream it was either going to be this one or Breyer's mint chocolate chip......

I haven't gotten through the entire thread, but thought I'd post this link -- and maybe some folks can find their favorite childhood candy and other stuff.

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/index_dyn.asp

Two of my favorite things were discontinued: Cheese-it Aircrisps. They were so light and so good. Also, yoplait yogurt with chocolate crunchy mix-ins. This was so good and not as high in calories as the competitors. I lived on these in college and high school!
    Jennifer M.

"Love cures people - both the ones who give it and the ones who receive it."

This hasn't been discontinued, but I cannot find the Reynolds Wrap Wide Plastic wrap anywhere around here. I had a few few rolls that I brought with me when we moved from PA (it was available everywhere there) and just recently ran out. I checked the website, and they list Dominick's as selling it, but I haven't seen it yet. I guess I will have to stop at every Dominick's I see from now on.

Nestle's Dark Chocolate Covered RAISINS - can't find them anymore. They were a great way to get chocolate and fiber!

FYI - Hersheys makes a MINT KISSES - not semi-sweet, but could be chopped up and used for mint milk chocolate cookies OR combined with DARK kisses (they make those, too) for a semi milk/dark cooky.

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

My husband loved powdered Hawaiian Punch that you could mix up yourself. He hasn't seen it in about 10 years and I never knew it existed. I emailed the company that makes it some time ago to innquire if it was still made and I never got a response.

Koogle Peanut Butter.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I was reading through ALL the posts when I realized the original post dates! wow this is an old thread!
    However, it got me rather reminiscent of a certain healthy choice cereal that I LOVED and was discontinued- it was some sort of Brown Sugar little square shaped cereal- similiar to frosted flakes but without the frosting. They were sooooo good. I would stock up on it b/c I could only find it in Steubenville, OH.

I also dearly miss Starbuck's Biscotti Bliss ice cream. IT was my absolute FAVORITE! I now have a similiar fetish for Bruster's (an ice cream chain) S'mores ice cream. Everytime I go I ask if they'll be carrying it much longer. I dread the day that they take it away.

Christina
    Take time to explore the untraveled paths and secret gardens of this sweet life. ~unknown

Am I the only one who still craves those baked ramen noodles? I lived off those things in college & grad school, especially after that great easy recipe from CL several years ago...Easy Asian Beef Noodles or something. We had that about once a week (usually without the beef...still great!) for a looong time.

Freshen-Up gum is still around, we have a stand at the mall that sells old-fashioned candy like Sensens and Pixie Sticks, they have a couple of flavours of Freshen-Up. They also sell Sherbet Fountains and LoveHearts.

Also, for the person who was missing Extra- Wide wrap, Glad makes one. I've been buying it for a couple of months.

Now, if I could just find Royal Crown Sour Cherry candies. Or Ginger Altoids.

I can't find Reddi-Wip Fat Free Whipped Cream - it was the whipped cream that comes in the pressurized can that you squirt out. They have Chocolate and Light but no more Fat Free.

Also, many "house brands" of Fat Free cream cheese that used to come in the 8-oz brick have been discontinued, leaving you no choice but to buy the doubly-priced Philadelphia brand. Even that only comes in a tub which is tougher for measuring.

If anyone sees the Reddi-Wip Fat Free, PM me and I'll send you money to buy some!!!!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Originally posted by Middydd

Also, for the person who was missing Extra- Wide wrap, Glad makes one. I've been buying it for a couple of months.
    Well, I haven't seen it here, but I prefer Reynolds as it clings much better, IMHO.

Did someone ask about LOL light butter (maybe on another thread?) well- I saw some at Jewel this morning (I had to run out for ginger ale for my sick DS).

For the person who thought Hormel Turkey Pepperoni had been discontinued, it hasn't. We buy a pack every week (so does everyone else in the store, especially when it's on sale---I have to go to 2 or 3 stores because they sell out so fast).
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

i'm not sure if Classico discontinued their Portabella Mushroom sauce or not, but we can't find it at any of the stores in our area. It was the only spaghetti sauce we bought, so when it disappeared a couple of months ago we were quite upset.

so are those veggie ziplock bags everyone is talking about the ones that were advertised day and night on tv by that girl with the annoying voice? i thought those were a new item from this summer.

oh and i was wondering what happened to those baked ramen noodles, too.

Originally posted by Gracie
    I can't find Reddi-Wip Fat Free Whipped Cream - it was the whipped cream that comes in the pressurized can that you squirt out. They have Chocolate and Light but no more Fat Free.

Also, many "house brands" of Fat Free cream cheese that used to come in the 8-oz brick have been discontinued, leaving you no choice but to buy the doubly-priced Philadelphia brand. Even that only comes in a tub which is tougher for measuring.
    Loren, if only you posted last week - you could have picked some up while you were down here. I'm pretty sure I've seen the fat-free Reddi-Wip, and I know we have fat-free block cream cheese. (Some stores have their own brands, but I only trust the Philadelphia brand.)

I don't know how well they would ship, but I wouldn't mind doing it!

I also have no problem finding Land O' Lakes light butter.
    Kristin

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

I know that we have a brand besides Philadelphia in the fat free cream cheese block--and I think our store sells Hormel turkey pepporoni.

I haven't looked for it, but Classico does still make the portabella mushroom sauce:
    Blogging Fun
    Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. -Michael Pollan

thanks granola girl. i did see it on their website, but none of the grocery stores here sell it anymore. instead they sell Classico's new triple mushroom sauce, which doesn't taste anything like the portabella mushroom sauce... oh well..

Originally posted by KristinK

Loren, if only you posted last week - you could have picked some up while you were down here. I'm pretty sure I've seen the fat-free Reddi-Wip, and I know we have fat-free block cream cheese. (Some stores have their own brands, but I only trust the Philadelphia brand.)

I don't know how well they would ship, but I wouldn't mind doing it!

I also have no problem finding Land O' Lakes light butter.
    Kristin - do I have to MOVE to Philadelphia???? First the pretzels, now the Reddi Wip and block FF cream cheese.

I'd be really afraid to mail the Reddi Wip in those pressurized cans. They're probably against the new security laws or something! But thanks for offering!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.