Community Message Boards

Thread: Boston area butcher shop???

Question Boston area butcher shop???

I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me sooner to post about my dilema here, but let's see if any of you Boston area cooks can help me out.

Basically, I need a good butcher. We are having an Oktoberfest party later this month and I am making a bunch of German food (my mom is from Germany). So my dilema is, I have never made Rouladen in Boston (I'm from Chicago) and I'm not sure where to get the meat. In Chicago, there are a couple of butchers my mom goes to and she just goes in and asks for Rouladen meat- they all know what she is talking about.

I basically need top round that is sliced to 1/8 in, but is long. I was thinking it was similar to braciole (which I have never made), but after looking at different braciole recipes, it seems that there are as many versions as there are Italian cooks. So there goes my plan to communicate it that way.

I am just nervous about communicating exactly what I want and having a miscommunication with the butcher and ending up with something else.

Do any of you Bostonians have a butcher that you know and trust? There is a place in Quincy called Prevites, that I have never been to, and then there is always Hilltop, but I wanted to see where other people get their good meat from.

Thank you so much in advance!
    -Kim

I get mine from Whole Foods. More expensive than supermarkets, but well worth it. Also, there's Roche Bros. (I saw MIng Tsai there!) I'd call ahead and talk to their butcher and see what they can do for you. Good luck. Let us know where you get it and how your dinner turned out.
    No matter how you slice the baloney, there are always two sides!