Community Message Boards

Thread: Honey as a sweetener?

Honey as a sweetener?

Hi everyone

I'm playing with a cookie recipe to enter a local contest. It's a peanut butter cookie, which I'm supplementing with chopped honey roasted peanuts. I made a batch tonight cutting the white sugar from 3/4 c. to 1/2 c. and added 1/4 cup of honey. The cookies are pretty good, but I had to bake them an extra 4-5 minutes to get them brown and done.

Is this the proper ratio, or did I need to add more, or cut back on other ingredients? The finished product is both moist and crumbly. The poker crowd at the house liked them, but I don't think they're perfect yet--any thoughts?

I don't know what the best ratio would be, myself. I have made up recipes before, and it usually takes at least 5 tries to get them right. Just keep fooling around with the recipe. Experimentation is half the fun of baking! (the other half of the fun is taste testing, of course.)

I know I recently saw a PB cookie recipe which used only honey as the sweetener. But now I can't find it (and who knows if it worked, anyway!). If you do a search in google for peanut butter honey cookies, you will come up with a number of recipes. you can look over those to examine what ratios are used.

good luck and let us know how they come out!

Can I ask a stupid question?
    If there is 3/4 cup sweetener to start, and you are switching the sweetener but still keeping it at 3/4 th cup....why?

If honey is sweeter than sugar I guess I would try to cut back on the sweetener. I am assuming you're thinking honey is healthier (and compared to sugar it is, but it packs more calories as well)...so just thinking out loud.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Honey

Honey is sweeter than sugar and it has more liquid, so you need to compensate for the additional liquid in honey by altering some other liquid in the recipe as well as compensate for the additional sweet factor.

Here is the info I found online about baking with honey.

Lisa

Kitchen Tips for Cooking and Baking with Honey
    Honey is a versatile ingredients that makes for a delightful sweetner in nearly any recipe. Keep a jar of honey within easy reach in your kitchen so you'll be prepared for a concoction that calls for a little sweetness with a lot of flavor, or an interesting sugar substitute.

There's a few things you will need to know about cooking with honey:

When you substitute honey for granulated sugar in recipes:
    Because of its high fructose content, honey tastes twice as sweet as sugar. To produce the same sweetness as sugar, use only half as much honey as you would sugar. Sweetness is a very individual taste, so you may want to experiment a bit with the amount of honey you use as a sugar substitute.
    Reduce the amount of liquid in the recipe by 1/4 cup for each cup of honey used in baked goods.
    Reduce oven temperature by 25-F degrees to prevent over-browning of baked goods.
    Of course, for the best results, use recipes developed for using honey. Honey adds a sweet, smooth and distinctive taste to food. Honey also absorbs and retains moisture. These qualities help keep baked goods moist and fresh longer. A 12-ounce jar of honey equals a standard measuring cup.

Due to its high fructose content, honey should not be fed to infants under 1 year of age. Honey is a safe and wholesome food for older children and adults.

I wanted to use honey to give it a more "honey roasted" taste. I'm also considering using the honey roasted peanut butter, which may be a better idea. There's no other liquid in the recipe to reduce, so honey may not be the way to go

That is good information Lisa. Thanks for posting.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous