Community Message Boards

Thread: Creative ways to organize recipes?

Creative ways to organize recipes?

Just wondering how everyone organizes their recipes for safe keeping? I mean the clipped ones from the newspaper, magazines, etc. I am getting overwhelmed by them. They have been piling up on my counter. Too little time to recopy them all, and besides I like the pictures that go with them. Also, they don't fit taped on an index card. Any thoughts?

Smile

Hi! I use 3-ring binders from an office supply store or Walmart, etc. and sheet protectors...that way, when I want, I can pull out the recipe in the protector and lay it on the counter or stand it up and it wipes clean! This works best for me!

I do the same as Patty and actually enjoy clipping and organizing them when I don't have to get rid of the pictures or fold the recipes, etc.
    Here are some other threads on this subject. More here .

I too use a 3 ring binder for my recipes. I buy the large ones because I have tons of recipes. Most of them come from the net, either from forums or from recipes searches. Magazine and cookbook recipes are typed up on my computer and printed out. I have ring binders labeled FAVORITES (for recipes that I've tried and found awesome) another binder is labeled FUTURE ENTREES (for great looking stuff that I intend to make) another is FUTURE ALL CATEGORIES (for obivious future recipes) I use separater sheets to categorize my recipes such as SOUPS, SALADS, PASTA AND RICE, DESSERTS, SANDWICHES, AND WRAPS, MEXICAN (which includes quesadillas, tacos, enchiladas etc.). When I make a "future recipe and it turns out great, it moves to the "FAVORITES" binder and of course all recipes are protected with plastic sheet protectors. The recipes are easy to find, and they stay clean because you can wipe the protector. If I take a recipe from a magazine or newspaper and type it up on my computer, I also save that recipe in a folder on my desktop just in case I lose the hard copy.

I also use 3 ring binders with page protectors. I cut out the whole page in the magazine and slip it in the protector along with any photos. I also slip two pages into the protector so there is a recipe on both sides. I have my recipes categorized as well. I will write on a recipe if I make any changes.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Wow--great ideas--Thanks to all!

I've given this advice before, but it works so well for me I'll share it again:

Just one basic, organizing thought:

However you do it (electronic, cards, binders, whatever),keep your "recipes to try" separate from your "tried and true."

Hi Kay! I don't even put the duds into my binder! LOL

I am a diehard baker, but I'm just getting into cooking a bit more! I'm glad I found this site! I found a cheap subscription to CL and happened to wander over here to see what the sub was online and then found this board!

As a matter of fact, I found an old recipe I haven't made in years here that I'm going to pick up the ingredients for today...King Ranch Chicken!

I don't see an introduction board (maybe I missed it, so much to look at), but I just want to say hi to everyone and this will be a great learning site for me...and I love seeing all the recipes!

Patty

Yep, I agree with keeping your "tried and true" separated. As I mentioned I have a FAVORITES and a FUTURE binder. And if you make changes, jot it down on the recipe. Actually, if I make something for the first time and it isn't a terrific keeper, I chuck it. Why keep a recipe for something that' s just so - so? My FUTURE binder holds 280 pages and I have enough recipes to last me 2 lifetimes. Make sure you purchase binders that are large enough to hole the maximum pages, you will be adding recipes for a long, long time. By the way, I don't know what they're called but every office supply store carries them and they're worth their weight in gold: They're kind of round, about the size of a lime with a slot cut out for holding paper upright while typing. I use them to hold my recipe in front of me and upright while I'm cooking. Just ask the clerk for the thingy that holds paper upright and they'll know. LOL

Welcome PattyG. Who knows, you may get as addicted to this board as most of us are.

I have a 3 ring notebook for all my tried and true recipes. The others that I clip or download I have in manila folders by subject...chicken, beef etc. Every so often, I sort my pile and stick the recipes into a manila folder. Then it is easier for me to find when I want tomake something.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Hi Sami!

LOL! I'm VEDDY addicted to baking...I ran out to Walmart today and picked up some goodies and the Betty Crocker Fall Baking mag/book. So far today, I've made the Ginger-Carrot-Nut Bread and the Banana-Chocolate Bread is in the oven next! That's on TOP of the Banana Oatmeal muffins I made also!!! Ack!!! I'm a bake-a-holic!

I also picked up something I've been wanting to get and haven't...some covered casserole dishes...got the French white Corning 1.5 and 2.5 with covers and little ones for tarts or sumpin'! LOL...I dunno, I'll find something to do with them!

Hi Patty and welcome! There are many dedicated bakers on this board so you will have lots of new recipes to try. And try out the "search" feature b/c there are many great past recipes just waiting for you.
    Michelle

Hi Michele!

Thanks for the welcome!

OMG! This Banana Chocolate Bread is delish!!! LOL

I will do a search also on Kitchen Aid mixers because I just told Santa/Hubby I want one for Christmas! I have a handheld Kitchen Aid and since I do so much baking, I need to have a little bit of help! If you or anyone has any reviews on which model is best, I'm all ears!

Patty

Question organizing questions

I'm new to this community and totally excited about it all!

I was about to post the same thread!! I have found some cute 3-ring Recipe binders at Michael's. But I can't find anymore index card protectors that can go in a 3-ring binder...any ideas???

Thanks!!!
    Genevieve

I don't organize my recipes in a binder, but would photo album pages workk? The ones that have separate pockets for each picture? Seems like they ought to be about the right size....
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

KATHYB: The photo album would only hold recipes that are the size of a photo. Some recipes are much larger, and if you type up a recipe and print it out on your computer like I do or print a recipe from the net or forum, you will not be able to fit it in the little spaces. Go for a ring binder and use sheet protectors. You can put recipes back to back into each sheet protector and categorize them by subject of however you want with index pages from an office supply store.

VegasDramaQueen, KathyB was responding to genlenore's question about where to find index card protectors that fit into 3-ring binders. She was suggesting photo album pages where the index cards are about the size of a photo.

I use sheet protectors and an open file box with pendaflex folders. I use tabs to divide into categories but leave the recips loose in the folders. Got tired of wrestling the 3 ring binder & like the loose system better.

One issue I have is recipes (both good and bad) seem to come around more than once. Have you made something, thought it was dreadful, and a few years later find yourself halfway through preparation and remember vaguely that you made it before & hated it? Anyone have a system for not repeating "mistakes"? If it's in a cookbook I write on the page what I thought of it. Magazine recipes are more elusive. I've tossed things I didn't like, and found myself making "it" again when it showed up somewhere else & I didn't recognize it. It sounded good the first time, & did the second time too. ( not intended as a hijack, think this is closely related..)

Originally posted by Valerie226
    Anyone have a system for not repeating "mistakes"?
    I write on the page or use a sticky note.

I really like your system! I have huge folders of stuff spilling everywhere that I keep meaning to go through and organize....

MasterCook!!

I have add Tried and Proven Recipes..... and have all the special recipes that I've made with notes. I also have a My Cookbook recipe which includes recipes to try. This, of course, is in addition to all the other 'Cookbooks' from Mastercook, and miscellaneous other resourses that I have collected over the past 5 years. I'm part of 2 Yahoo Groups recipes clubs. One is all Cooking Light Magazine, the other is Magazine Recipes - Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Cooking Light Cookbooks, Fine Cooking, Food & Wine, etc., etc.
    kef