Community Message Boards

Thread: Chicken Marsala....with white wine

Chicken Marsala....with white wine

I made a new dish last night and it was so good. I bought the Fine Cooking magazine/cookbook and saw a recipe for Chicken Marsala. I bought some Marsala (no idea if I had the right kind) but when I opened the bottle and took a whiff I felt the dish might taste too much like red wine...DH would not enjoy this. So I used some white cooking wine instead. I increased the Gorgonzola from 1/3 to 1/2.

I was surprised by how easy the dish was...very quick and very delicious. Made me think that I could use wine and cream more often when I want a saucy dish.

Has anyone used the marsala and is the dish heavy with a wine taste?
    I would be interested to hear some thoughts.
    sushiroll

So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. John 8:36

Have you prayed about your problem as much as you have talked about it? Anonymous

Would you mind posting the recipe?

I always use whatever white wine I have on hand (usually pinot grigio) in chicken marsala (so I guess it is wrong to call it chicken marsala!) because I don't really care for marsala. It is kind of a sweet wine, though I don't think it tastes like red wine. I am interested in seeing your recipe, I have never heard of using gorgonzola in a chicken marsala recipe before!

I'm so sorry that you chose not to use the Marsala wine. This is one fantastic dish if made right. You won't get a strong wine taste from Marsala because it mellows as it cooks. This particular wine give this dish the perfect flavor and to leave it out means you didn't make Chicken Marsala at all. You made chicken with .....DID YOU SAY COOKING WINE???????? Never, but never use cooking wine. If you have to use wine use a decent quality wine that you would drink and buy it in the wine section. Cooking wine is horrible stuff filled with salt and who knows what else. If you decide to make this dish again, use the amount of Marsala called for and enjoy this wonderful meal.

I SECOND the opinion of cooking wine! NEVER USE IT! It is full of salt and stuff. Go to Trader Joe and buy some Charles Shaw !.99 and you can DRINK it as well!
    Curleytop

Thanks for the tips. I have never cooked with wine. Both my DH and I enjoyed embibing a little too much when we were younger...so we never keep alcohol in the house. I have never had any issue with eating food cooked with wine, but DH has. It has only been in the last year or so that I have kind of snuck in the c***ing wine (sorry, I had no idea!!!!!!) The marsala I bought was from the grocery store, not a liquor or wine store (IN PA). What kind of marsala should I use? What is a good white wine to cook with.

I had a dish one time at a restaurant that was made with some sort of red wine and the stew or whatever it was tasted like someone had dumped the whole bottle in the dish right at the end. It was horrid!

Recipe (my version)which isn't real ch marsala

3 bnlss chick breasts cut into medalions
    8 oz crimini mushrooms sliced thin
    2 clv minced garlic
    1/2 cup of wine (marsala)
    1/3 cup heavy cream (I used light)
    1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola
    1 tbs flat leaf parsley
    salt and pepper (kosher salt)

Brown chicken 1-2 min per side in 2 tbs olive oil and remove (do it in two batches)
    add another tbs of oil and cook mushrooms for 3-4 min.
    add garlic and saute with shrooms for 30 seconds or so
    add wine and reduce a little
    add cream and cook till thickened
    add 2/3's of the gorgonzola cheese
    finish off by topping with parsley and crumbled cheese

serve over penne or some other pasta
    sushiroll

So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. John 8:36

Have you prayed about your problem as much as you have talked about it? Anonymous

To me, Marsala tastes more like sherry, nothing like red wine. I'm sure there are more but two wineries I know of sell teeny little bottles of wine, probably not more than about half a cup each. Fetzer and I think it was Turning Leaf I saw recently. They usually come in a little 4 pack and they come in all sorts of varieties. They might be a good bet for anyone who doesn't want a whole bottle of wine sitting around.

SUSHIROLL: The Marsala you bought in the grocery store is fine. I think then one I use is Christian Brothers. Marsala is a fortified wine like sherry and port so it's not going to taste like regular wine.

The 4-packs of small bottles are great for cooking. Since neither my DH or myself drink wine (we prefer other cordials) I usually end up throwing away most of the bottle. Now I buy the small bottles (less than 1 cup each) and they come in many varieties. Maybe another member that drinks wines could recommend something other than Marsala. I'm sure it has been tried with other red wines.