Community Message Boards

Thread: Can pot stickers be made ahead of time?

Can pot stickers be made ahead of time?

I bought the BH&G Holiday Appetizer magazine in the hopes of finding very low fat recipes that didn't need the use of the oven. The only one I've been able to find that would appeal to the guests I am having is the Pot Sticker recipe. I'd like to make the one with the chicken and crab filling. But, since this is for Thanksgiving I'd like to be able to make at least part of the recipe ahead of time.

It does say that the filling can be made up to 4 hours ahead of time but I'm wondering about the dough itself. Or if there is even a way to make these things and fill them ahead of time. If you need the recipes I can type them up.
    Thanks for any help!
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

78704 - more than a zipcode, it's a lifestyle.
    I have made big batches of wontons and frozen them raw, then cooked later. This might work with your potstickers. Are they baked? Fried?
    Your actions speak so loudly I can hardly hear you - Henry David Thoreau

The bottoms are browned in a pan with a bit of oil, and then water is added to the pan to steam them.

It would be awesome if I could make these way ahead of time and freeze them!! The dough is just flour, salt and water. The filling is cooked chicken, crab, Chinese cabbage, green onions, soy sauce, dry sherry, sesame oil, etc.

I buy frozen potstickers in the grocery stores. I would definetly fry them last minute....otherwise they aren't going to be crisp.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

78704 - more than a zipcode, it's a lifestyle.
    I think you can assemble them up to the point of the final fry/steam and freeze them. They will probably take a bit longer to cook from the frozen state, but it should work. Maybe let them thaw for a few minutes (like 15) on the counter before you cook them.
    Your actions speak so loudly I can hardly hear you - Henry David Thoreau

Great!! Thank you!! I'll try this!

We buy frozen ones often and they are great. I think you can make ahead and freeze.

We have made them, but not frozen them. I think we made the dough, but I have also seen them made with wonton wrappers, so that's another possible time saver.

Thanks, Beth!!
    I thought about using wonton wrappers but I'd like to try the dough recipe this time. I think that maybe I'll try making a small batch of these and freezing them for a few days and see how they cook up.

I appreciate all the help and advice!!

I have made my own, froze and cooked without a problem. I cook them just as you mentioned. Fry on the bottom, add water and steam. I assume this is why it takes 20 min for the local chinese restaurant to prepare an order. I think with them frozen it takes a bit longer steaming.

Sherry, thank you!! I'm feeling much more confident about this now!!

One word of advice: Make sure your potstickers are frozen individually - i.e., that they are not touching each other. This will prevent them from sticking together and then breaking up when you cook them. I usually freeze uncooked potstickers by laying them on sheets of wax/parchment paper (you can stack the wax paper sheets) and covering everything with plastic wrap. Once they are frozen, you can put them in a large freezer bag if you want.

Thanks, gaja.
    My plan is to use wax paper lined cookie sheets once I make some space in my freezer.

Re: Can pot stickers be made ahead of time?

Originally posted by Chocolate Rose
    If you need the recipes I can type them up.
    I'd love to see the potsticker recipe if you've had a need to type it already. Don't do it just for me.

Thanks!
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

Here are the recipes that I used. I typed them up because I did a trial run of them yesterday to see how they worked. I stuck half the batch in the freezer so that I can see how well they freeze. We ate the other half for dinner. They are very good. I used all chicken as I didn't have any crab. And, I didn't make the vinegar sauce 'cause I was just too pooped at that point.

Even though these were totally yummy, I'm having second thoughts about making them for Thanksgiving as they are just totally labor intensive. So, I'm rethinking my appetizer plan. But, dd totally loved these and I know that she will push hard for having them again. So, we'll see what happens.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pot Stickers

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 30 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cups flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons flour
    Desired filling
    2 tablespoons cooking oil
    Desired sauce

In a medium bowl, stir together the 2 cups flour and the salt. Pour 2/3 cup boiling water slowly into the flour mixture, stirring constantly. Stir until blended. Stir in 1/4 cup cold water.

When cool enough to handle, on a well-floured surface, knead in the 3 tablespoons flour until smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Return to bowl; cover with a damp towel. Let stand 15 minutes.

Turn dough out onto the floured surface. Divide into 3 equal portions. Roll each portion to 1/9-inch thickness. With a 3-inch round cutter, cut into 30 rounds total, rerolling as needed.

For each pot sticker, spoon about 2 teaspoons desired filling in center of a round. Fold in half across filling; pinch edges to seal. Hold pot sticker, sealed side up, and press gently to slightly flatten the bottom. Transfer to a floured baking sheet. Cover with a dry towel.

Preheat oven to 300. In a very large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat about 1 minute or until hot. Add half of the pot stickers, pleated side up, making sure edges do not touch. Cook in hot oil about 1 minute or until bottoms are light brown. Reduce heat.

Add 2/3 cup water to the skillet, gently pouring around the pot stickers. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Uncover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or until the water is evaporated. Cook the pot stickers, uncovered, for 1 minute more. Using a wide spatula, gently lift pot stickers from the skillet.

Keep pot stickers warm in teh oven while cooking the remaining pot stickers. Serve warm with desired sauce. Makes 30 pot stickers.

Description:
    "An old Chinese tale says the emperor's chef left a pot of dumplings on the stove too long, so they burned and stuck to the pot. He risked his life and served them anyway. Thank goodness the emperor liked the crispy dumplings."
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Honey-Ginger Sauce

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Sauces, Marinades, & Gravies

1/3 cup honey
    2 tablespoons bottled plum sauce
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 inch long piece fresh ginger -- peeled and thinly sliced

In a small saucepan, combine honey, plum sauce, soy sauce, and ginger. Bring just to boiling, stirring frequently; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Strain sauce into a small bowl. Cool. If desired, cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Makes a scant 3/4 cup.

Description:
    "The sweet ginger flavor goes well with sushi, wontons, and pot stickers."

Chicken and Crab Filling (for pot stickers)

Recipe By :Mom
    Categories : Fish & Seafood Poultry

1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
    6 ounces crabmeat -- flaked, cartilage removed
    3/4 cup finely chopped Chinese cabbage -- (nappa cabbage)
    2 green onions -- tihnly sliced
    1 tablespoon dry sherry or rice vinegar
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
    1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds -- toasted
    1/4 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel

In a medium bowl, combine chicken, crabmeat, cabbage, and green onion. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and peel; add to chicken mixture. Mix well. If desired, covere and chill for up to 4 hours. Makes 2 cups.

Description:
    "A hint of sesame and lime seasons this delicately flavored filling"

Oops, forgot to add the vinegar recipe:

Vinegar Dipping Sauce

Recipe By :
    Categories : Salsas, Chutnies & Relishes Sauces, Marinades, & Gravies

1/2 cup water
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 tablespoon bottled Asian fish sauce (nuoc nam or nam pla) or soy sauce
    1 tablespoon finely shredded carrot
    1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper -- optional

In a small saucepan, stir together water and sugar; bring to boiling, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in rice vinegar, fish sauce, carrot, and red pepper. Makes 1/4 cup

To make ahead: prepare sauce as directed. Cover and chill for up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.

Description:
    "Try this thin sauce as a dipper for spring rolls and pot stickers"

You're too wonderful--many thanks!! They look awesome.
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

You're welcome!

I had just bought the magazine when you posted this question -- I went and found the recipes after replying to your post. I'm glad you posted the question. BTW, we've made fresh spring rolls with otehr recipes (and then no recipe) and they are really easy and good once you get past chopping ingredietns. The no recipe ones were a quick and easy way to use up leftovers -- just something to keep in mind in case you try some and find you have extra wrappers on hand.

Let us know how your potstickers turn out. My husband loves them.

Beth, the pot stickers did turn out very good. We enjoyed them a lot. Will report back later about the ones that are frozen. I'm thinking maybe next week.

Egg rolls, for me, are MUCH easier than pot stickers. I have a "thing" about rolling out dough (although this one was very easy). I buy those Pillsbury pie dough crusts because I just can't make a good dough.

Have you tried any of the recipes from the magazine yet? I was kind of disppointed in them.

No, I haven't, and I didn't want to hear that either. I just picked it up and have only lookd at it in the checkout line and to see what kind of potstickers they were. I didn't even get a chance to read through the potsticker recipe. It's been kind of that way around here -- I was so afraid that I would forget a meeting at school with all that I had going this week that I showed up for a meeting a day early. And I know I bought a cookie magazine just before our pumpkin patch, and I can't find it.

Bumping up for potsticker recipes.

Thanks! I'll try making these with shrimp and the premade wonton wrappers. Rolling out dough just for potstickers seems like a chore. Also, I'll cook them using the chicken broth method I used in another recipe instead of the oil. Did you use the same amout of shrimp as it called for other meats?
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

Originally posted by jtoepfert100
    Did you use the same amout of shrimp as it called for other meats?
    I used both chicken and shrimp. So, I just subbed shrimp for the crab. I probably just went ahead and used a half pound of shrimp.