Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitute for evap milk

Question Substitute for evap milk

I have a recipe that calls for 3 tablespoons of evaporated milk. I don't want to waste a whole can for just this little bit. Is there anything else that I can use instead?

Use 3 T milk plus 2-3 tsp of powdered milk or just use milk and know that it will not be quite as thick or rich, depending on what you are making.I guess you could also heat 6 T milk (a little more than 2/3 cup) until it reduces to 3T, but I've never bothered with that.

You can sub but evaporated milk is great for coffee as it adds a nice mouth feel since it's thicker than skim milk and also has twice the calcium.

It's the only milk I stock since I don't drink milk. If I need skim milk for cooking I dilute the evaporated milk.

For just that much evaporated milk, you might even be able to get away with using 1/2 n 1/2 or milk. Just depends on what the function of the milk is...

What's the recipe for?
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

I would either used half and half or just straight cream if you want it to be richer, or plain milk for something lighter. Depending on what you are adding it to, that may not be enough to be noticeable.
    Okiedokie

The recipe I'm making is called cream cheese snickers candy bar pie. The recipe looks very rich so I'm just going to use regular milk instead of evaporated. I need to buy milk anyhow so maybe I'll splurge and get 2% instead of skim. That should add some richness to it.

Um, are you making that for us by any chance?

miswin, that sounds so good. Would there be any possible way that you could share the recipe with us? Oh BTW if you have the cream it would be a good one to use for a sub, in a recipe like that.
    Okiedokie

in a baking recipe like that i'd probably be thinking to sub with some version of cream, but there again, you have the problem of what to do with the rest. y'know, i always have cans of evaporated skim milk in the pantry, they're not expensive when on sale (40 cents/can), and i'm glad to know that i can use them in coffee!
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

Use the left over evaporated milk or cream in mashed potatoes, evaporated milk in cakes instead of the water that's sometimes in the recipe, and there are just so many places you can use it and not let it go to waste. If you make pancakes, or waffles use it there, also. In other words, use it just about any place you would use milk and almost any time where you would use water. It will just make it better.

misswin, This is from recipesource.com is this the recipe for the CREAM CHEESE SNICKERS Candy Bar PIE?

Categories: Pie, Cake
    Yield: 10 Servings

1 9" pastry shell, baked, cool
    2 Eggs
    1 Unflavored gelatin envelope
    1/4 c Water, cold
    6 1-1/2oz Snickers Bars,
    - cut into pieces
    1/4 c Peanut butter, chunky
    8 oz Cream cheese, softened
    1 1/2 c Powdered sugar, unsifted
    1 ts Cocoa
    3 tb Evaporated milk
    1 ts Vanilla
    1/2 ts Salt
    1 c Heavy cream, whipped
    Peanuts, salted, chopped
    Sweetened whipped cream

Separate the eggs. Sprinkle the gelatin over cold water in a small saucepan
    and let stand until softened, about 4 minutes; dissolve over very low heat,
    stirring. Melt candy bars in top of double boiler over simmering water; add
    peanut butter and blend with a wooden spoon until smooth; cool. Beat cream
    cheese with 2 egg yolks thoroughly; gradually add powdered sugar, beating
    well. Blend in cocoa, evaporated milk, vanilla, candy bar mix and then the
    dissolved gelatin; mix all well. Chill until partially thickened, stirring
    one or two times. Stifly beat the room temp egg whites with the salt; fold
    into chilled mix, then fold in the whipped heavy cream; turn into cooled
    pastry shell and chill until firm. Decorate with chopped peanuts and
    additional whipped cream if desired.

Okiedokie

This is the recipe I made although there are a few (slightly differently) variations out there. I used regular milk instead of the evap milk. The heavy cream makes the pie very rich so there is no need to open a can of evap for this recipe. I've made 3 of these pies and everyone inhales them. It is a really good, rich pie. I didn't even bother decorating the top.

Thanks for the additional uses for evap milk. I won't feel wasteful the next time I need to open a can of evap milk for only a little bit.