Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitute for Thai Chili Paste?

Question Substitute for Thai Chili Paste?

I am making Thai-Spiced Braised Chicken (CL Mar 2003), but don't have the 2 tsp. of Thai Chili Paste called for in the recipe. The Thai section at the market was pretty good, but I had a toddler in tow, and in my haste picked up Chili Puree with Garlic. Would that be an acceptable substitute, or can y'all suggest anything else that would work? This is my first venture into Thai cooking, and I'd be grateful for any input! Thanks in advance!

I think you should be find

From Foodsubs.com

chile paste = Asian chile paste = chili paste = chilli paste Notes: This is a blend of hot chile peppers, garlic, oil, and salt that's commonly used in Asian cuisine. Includes: Chinese chile (or chili) paste = Szechuan chile (or chili) paste = Sichuan chile (or chili) paste = chile paste with garlic, Korean chile paste, and Vietnamese chile paste = tuong ot toi Vietnam = prik kaeng, which is hotter than the Chinese chile paste. See also separate entries for these other chile pastes: nam prik pao, chile bean paste, sambal oelek, and sambal bajak. Substitutes: hot sauce OR harissa OR crushed red pepper flakes (to taste; start with 1/4 as much) OR dried red chili peppers
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

I always use the chili garlic sauce in place of the chili paste, because the heat is too intense for me with the paste. It works just fine, it's just not as spicy.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Thanks so much for the responses! I think I'll use a little hot sauce and a little of the garlic chile stuff. If it's not spicy enough, we can always add more heat to it when it's done.