Community Message Boards

Thread: Do you tip the Exterminator?

Question Do you tip the Exterminator?

We have a bug control guy come every month or two or else our house would be overrun with scorpions and centipedes. We just switched to a new guy because the last company was ALWAYS late. The new guy is basically a one-man business. He does a much better job but also charges more. Am I supposed to be tipping him?? And if not, what would be a good holiday gift for him?

Thanks!

I never tip those kind of people, but give him a good food gift.
    Christie

I never tip service people that come to the house, but then I never have anybody come on a regular basis. A food gift would be nice at Christmas - maybe something "masculine" like beef stick. Or maybe chocolate covered ants?

I've never tipped my exterminator.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I wouldn't tip, but I would include him in my end of year/ holiday gift giving. I give out different things- blockbuster gift certificates, movie tickets, Panera Gift certificate ect. I try not to give out food because everyone is watching their weight and people are so picky about what they eat now!

People I give gifts to-

kids teachers
    kids religous ed teachers
    kids gymnastics coach
    letter carrier
    hair stylist if I am going to someone regularly
    neighbor who watches the animals when I am out of town
    My sons ENT and his office- we see them more than most of my family!

When I lived in Hawaii people would put a case of beer out for the garbage men for Christmas. They would have someone ride along behind the truck on the pickup before Christmas to collect all the beer and divy it up among all the garbage men. They could have opened there own brewery with all that booze! Hillarious!