Community Message Boards

Thread: Neti pot and post-nasal drip

Neti pot and post-nasal drip

A couple people in my office were talking about using neti pots for saline nasal rinsing. I have a problem with chronic "post-nasal drip" (not sure that's exactly what it is, but that's the best description I have of goo buildup in my throat)...not stuffed up enough to impede breathing through my nose, but enough to result in constant throat clearing. Drives DH nuts. Has anyone here had any success with a neti pot to clear up such symptoms? I think I might try it anyway - it certainly can't hurt.

If I don't see significant results with the neti pot, I am thinking of trying an elimination diet after the holidays. There was a previous thread which discussed this, which got me interested. I don't intake a lot of dairy, which I gather would be the prime suspect mucus-producer, but I do feel that my symptoms are worse after eating. I went to an allergist a couple years ago, who poo-pooed the idea that it was food related, and whose solution was to give me different drugs to try (inhaler, prilosec, prevacid, etc.). So I'm not against going to another doctor, probably an ENT, but I'd like to see if I can narrow it down a bit on my own first.

Any advice, thoughts, experiences?

Megan

I don't have a neti pot, but I do try to do a saline nasal rinse every night, and it has definitely helped me with sinus congestion, post-nasal drip, etc. I know there are other people on the board who do this as well, as this is where I learned about it. I just get those bottles of saline nasal spray (like Ocean spray) and use that instead of buying a neti pot. I have been really lax about doing it this fall, and am currently on my second round of antibiotics for a sinus infection -- definitely motivation to get back in the habit! While it may not solve any underlying problems, it certainly won't hurt to try.

Claire

If you're getting a lot of mucous, a lot of sinus infections, etc, I would almost guarantee you have a food allergy/intolerance to dairy. Your two big food allergies are gluten/wheat and dairy. Dairy typically shows up as sinus, upper respiratory tract, nasal, throat type stuff and gluten is usually going to show up as GI tract problems.

I would:
    1) Cut out all dairy for 1 month and see how you feel at the end. My guess is pretty darn good. If you feel no improvement at all, I wouldn't suspect dairy as a problem.
    2) Do an iodine patch test. Get some iodine from the drug store and put a 1"x1" square of it on yourself. The stain should last 24 hours. If it doesn't, your body is starved for iodine and it absorbed it quickly from this iodine patch you painted on. If you have trouble taking vitamins with iron in them you definitely need iodine, too.

Iron thickens mucous, iodine thins it. Sore costosternal joints (where your ribs meet your sternum) could be an indicator of iodine deficiency, too.

I'd look at the dairy as the most obvious, though.
    Chiropractic care is health care for the 21st century.

I have been doing a saline nasal rinse for close to 11 years....about the last time I'd had a cold (knock on wood!)....

I can't say enough about it. It takes a bit of getting used to, but well worth it.
    Wonderful during allergy season; great if you have light congestion; good at keeping things at bay disease wise; great for sinus pressure.....
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

After 2 sets of biaxtin and almost 60 days of being ill- chest congestion, nasal, cough I am ready to try anything. I think I may be getting better had lots of thick nose today and not as much cough. Just can't get it productive. Almost wheeze gurglely couldn't sleep nite before last. Asthma bronchitis once. maybe this time too. If not really better tomorrow calling Dr. again.
    May the wind be to your back
    and the sun on your face!
    The family dreamer ~~~ Me!

If you're getting a lot of mucous, a lot of sinus infections, etc, I would almost guarantee you have a food allergy/intolerance to dairy. Your two big food allergies are gluten/wheat and dairy. Dairy typically shows up as sinus, upper respiratory tract, nasal, throat type stuff and gluten is usually going to show up as GI tract problems.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try elimination of dairy alone to start with. Are there dairy ingredients that I should look for that I may not recognize as dairy?

There probably are hidden sources of dairy, but I just go for the obvious: cheese, milk, yogurt, ice cream, etc.
    Chiropractic care is health care for the 21st century.