Community Message Boards

Thread: Cooking Frozen Cookie Dough

Help How Do I Bake Frozen Cookie Dough

My friend is having her eyes done and I am planning to gift her with frozen unbaked cookies that she can pop in the oven one at a time for a simple treat.

I am planning to make the Alton Brown recipe which I am posting below. The recipe calls for baking the chilled balls at a 375 degree oven for about 14 minutes.

Do you think I need to adjust the instructions to compensate for their being frozen? Obviously cooking time can be adjusted but will they spread and bake up if they aren't thawed first?

I've only baked the frozen Mrs. Fields pre-made cookie dough in a frozen state and those are made to be baked from a frozen condition whereas Alton's aren't.

Alton's are so good following the recipe I would hate to muck them up.

Thanks for any advice.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 sticks butter
    2 1/4 cups bread flour
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 1/4 cups brown sugar
    1 egg
    1 egg yolk
    2 tablespoons milk
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

Pour the melted butter in the mixers work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight containe
    Last edited by blazedog; 12-27-2004 at 04:14 PM.

Revisiting in the hopes that someone has any hints on how to modify the baking directions when you are cooking frozen cookies.

Thanks again.

I don't know for SURE ... but ... I would think that you could just pop 'em in the oven as is, and expect to cook 'em a little longer. Would be nice to know for sure, though, I know.

"For drop cookie dough, freeze it in an airtight container. If I have the time, I drop the actual cookie dough in spoonfuls or a cookie scoop to portion balls of dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for about an hour, or until the dough balls are frozen. Then place them into a resealable plastic freezer bag. When you want fresh-baked cookies, all you have to do is bake the frozen dough balls without thawing, at the usual temperature, adding a few minutes to the baking time."

From Baking911 website--maybe you could check the directions on some at the store and then compare to your recipe and make adjustments that way?

Pamela Anderson's Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe actually calls for freezing the dough. She recommends forming the dough into balls and freezing them. When ready to bake, drop frozen balls onto a cookie sheet and bake at 400 until set, 8-10 minutes. Then lower the temp to 350 and bake another 10 minutes.

Other recipes I looked at suggest cooking frozen cookies at a lower temp (350) for a few extra minutes.

So, Blazedog, did you cook the frozen cookies and how did they turn out? I have some oatmeal cookie dough in the freezer right now that I want to bake as DS is home on spring break.

Thanks.

Yes -- I brought them over and they were great.

Nothing really had to be adjusted -- perhaps they cooked a tad longer but the recipe I had prepared called for chilling the dough anyway and there isn't THAT much difference between well chilled dough and frozen dough.