Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitute for Beef Broth?

Substitute for Beef Broth?

Good afternoon-

I have recently started eating kosher. I miss eating French Onion Soup as it uses both beef broth and cheese. I was looking for an alternative to the beef broth (I'm not the biggest fan of soy cheese).

Any suggestions?

You could make your own roasted vegetable stock. I make it all the time now with my salt restricted diet.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

When I have to cook a kosher meal, I always substitute vegetable stock for beef or chicken. Alternatively, I can sometimes buy the Telma bouillon cubes in the supermarket and they are kosher.

Good luck. Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Other than subbing vegetable broth, I don't have any suggestions. I just want to say, "Welcome, Bonnie!" We're glad you're here!

Kay

Sneezles, your homemade roasted vegetable broth looks very interesting. Could you share the recipe?

K.

Originally posted by Kay Henderson
    Sneezles, your homemade roasted vegetable broth looks very interesting. Could you share the recipe?

K.
    Kay,
    It's not a recipe I've written down but here's what I do...

Roasted Vegetable Stock

1 head of garlic, cloves separated and peeled
    3 large onions, quartered
    4 ribs celery, sliced into large chunks
    4 carrots, unpeeled and sliced into large chunks
    3 sweet potatoes, quartered (unpeeled)
    4 leeks, sliced lengthwise and rinsed, cut crosswise into chunks (use entire leek)
    5 roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
    1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
    1 fennel bulb with leaves, cut greens into chuncks and quarter bulb
    1 small butternut squash or small pie pumpkin, seeded and cut into chunks
    Bouquet Garni

Any vegetable can be used but turnips and rutabegas are a bit too strong for my tastes. All the veggies are placed into a large roaster and placed into a 450 oven and roasted for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
    Fill large stock pot (I usually use the 12 qt pot) with the roasted veggies and then add water to fill. Bring to a boil, add bouquet garni (which is usually fresh thyme, bay leaf, sage, rosemary and a lot of black peppercorns wrapped in muslin), and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for at least one hour. Strain the veggies, pressing down to remove as much liquid as possible. Chill in fridge uncovered for about one hour and then cover. Can be stored in fridge for about 1 week and freezes for about 3 months.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

You might try mushroom stock. My grocery store carries it in the "health food" section, and you could find it at Wild Oats / Whole Foods types of stores.

I was going to suggest this mushroom broth from The Greens Cookbook by Deborah Madison and Edward Espe Brown - it is outstanding!

Wild Mushroom Stock
    1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
    1-1/2 Tbsp. Olive oil
    4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced or chopped (optional)
    2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
    2 celery stalks, diced
    1 medium onion, chopped into 1/2 inch squares
    1/2 cup leek greens, roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces (optional)
    4-6 thyme branches or 1/4 tsp. Dried thyme
    2 bay leaves
    6 branches parsley, roughly chopped
    3 sage leaves or large pinch dried sage
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 tsp. Salt
    9 cups cold water

Cover the dried mushrooms with 1 cup hot water and set them aside. Heat the olive oil in a soup pot, add the vegetables, herbs, garlic, salt, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. Next add the dried mushrooms and their soaking liquid plus the 9 cups cold water, and bring to a boil; then simmer for 45 minutes. Strain the stock through a fine-meshed sieve. Use it as is or return it the stove and reduce it further to intensify the flavor as much as desired. Generally it takes about 15 minutes at a slow boil to reduce the volume of liquid by 1 cup.
    Variation: For a darker colored stock, caramelize the onion separately first. Heat the oil, add the onion, and cook it until it has turned a very dark brown, stirring occasionally at first, then more frequently as it gets darker. Add the remaining ingredients plus the water, bring to a boil, cook as above, and strain.
    *I do use the fresh mushrooms, and use a whole leek green. If you actually do save the stems from your shiitake mushrooms, now is the time to pull them out of the freezer and use 'em!

Great suggestions and thanks for the recipes! I now know where to come for all my cooking questions!!!

Bonnie,

Welcome and just watch out, this place is addicting but a great place to ask cooking questions!

Robyn

Welcome Bonnie!

If you don't have the time or inclination to make your own stock, the Imagine brand makes a pareve, kosher vegetable broth and "no-chicken" broth. They're also organic. I've seen them at Wild Oats/Whole Foods, and, I think, Trader Joe's.

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

Hi Bonnie!

I am not sure this is kosher, but here is a vegetarian onion soup recipe I tried over the holidays. It is absolutely delicious - the depth and complexity of the flavors (due to the roasted tomatoes and port) makes this a serious challenger for a traditional onion soup.
    This is a bit time consuming, largely due to the roasted tomatoes but I think it's worth it.

CARAMELIZED RED ONION WITH PORT, SLOW-ROAST TOMATOES AND FRESH HERBS
    Rebar Cookbook
    (Serves 6-8)

1 recipe slow-roast tomatoes (recipe follows)
    8 cups vegetable stock (recipe follows)
    4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    6 large red onions, thinly sliced
    1 garlic bulb, minced
    2 tsp salt [I use less]
    2 Tbsp minced thyme
    4 Tbsp minced basil
    tsp cracked pepper
    tsp red chile flakes
    1 Tbsp brown sugar
    1 cup port wine [I use only 2/3 cup]
    2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    Chopped fresh basil or Italian parsley

Prepare slow-roast tomatoes at least 3 hours before beginning soup preparation, or one or two days in advance. Heat stock while preparing the soup and keep it warm on the back burner.

Heat olive oil in a soup pot and stir in onions and salt. Saute over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and lightly golden. Add minced garlic, herbs, chile flakes, pepper and sugar and continue to saute gently until the onions are broken down completely. Deglaze the pan with port and let it reduce until syrupy.

Remove skins from the roasted tomatoes and chop the flesh coarsely. Add tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and stock to the soup. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, to marry the flavors. Taste and season with more salt, pepper or balsamic vinegar. Just before serving, stir in extra chopped herbs.

Optional: If desired, ladle over Parmesan or Gruyere toasts.

SLOW-ROAST TOMATOES
    Rebar Cookbook
    Yields 1 cup

10 tomatoes, halved
    cup extra virgin oil
    1 tsp salt
    tsp cracked pepper
    2 Tbsp minced thyme or rosemary

Pre-heat oven to 250F. Slice tomatoes in half and arrange, cut side up, on a parchment-lined baking tray. Brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and chopped fresh herbs.

Roast tomatoes for up to 4 hours, or until they are visibly dehydrated yet still meaty. Cool and refrigerate up to one week.

VEGETABLE STOCK
    Rebar Cookbook
    Yields 14 cups

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
    1 yellow onion
    2 leeks, greens only
    1 garlic bulb
    4 carrots
    4 celery sticks
    1 or 2 apples
    4 bay leaves
    1 Tbsp whole black peppercorns
    1 tsp coriander seeds
    1 Tbsp coarse salt
    Few sprigs fresh thyme, parsley, or sage
    20 cups water

Peel and roughly chop the onions, leeks, carrots and celery. Separate the garlic bulb and smash the cloves with the flat of your knife. Quarter the apples.

Heat oil in a large stock pot and add the onions, leeks, carrots, celery, salt and bay leaves. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add all of the remaining ingredients, including the water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes. Strain and cool if not using immediately. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.

My favourite enhancer for a nice dark stock is miso. It adds a really lovely dark-brown-ness to soups, stews, and stuff. Caramelising some of the onions is another great way to get a good veggie onion soup. (And welcome to the boards!)