Community Message Boards

Thread: How many cups of flour equals 1.5 pounds?

How many cups of flour equals 1.5 pounds?

I was planning on making Farmhouse Bread that I found on the bb. It calls for 1.5# of flour. I don't have any way of measuring. So, can anyone tell me how many cups of flour that would be?
    <>< denise <><
    www.chequepointe.com

I keep my flour in a plastic container, so I don't have the actual bag it comes in to refer to, but do you have a bag of flour? There is usually a conversion written somewhere on it like "This bag = X cups of flour". They are usually 5 pound bags, so you could take the number of cups in the whole bag and divide by 1.5 to get your answer.

Or you could look at the nutritional information - they usually have a serving size listed as a certain number of cups (like 1/4 cup) and also a metric conversion - like X grams. So if you know 1/4 cup = x grams, and you know that a pound = 453 grams, you could figure out how much 1.5 pounds (1.5 pounds = 679 grams). Hope that makes sense....

Editing to add that I went to the Gold Medal Flour website and read the nutritional info there. 1/4 cup = 30 grams. You need 679 grams of flour for your recipe, so 679 divided by 30 = 22.63. You need that many 1/4 cups. So if we divide 22.63 by 4, we get 5.65 cups (I'd say 5.75 or 5-3/4 cups)!

Tada!!

A pound of all-purpose flour is approx 4 cups sifted. So a pound and a half would be 6 cups.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

All-Purpose flour:1 pound = 3 3/4 cups unsifted flour = 4 cups sifted flour
    Flour information

Thanks you guys, I'm off to the kitchen!!
    <>< denise <><
    www.chequepointe.com

You can also go to this site and get more information. At the bottom of the previous link it had this:

Equivalents
    all-purpose flour: 1 pound = 3 3/4 C unsifted = 4 C sifted
    cake flour: 1 pound = 4 1/2 C
    whole wheat flour: 1 pound = 3 1/3 C