Community Message Boards

Thread: Paula Deen's Banana Pudding

Paula Deen's Banana Pudding

I saw Paula Deen make this on her show a few days ago and thought it looked fabulous -- easy to make and beautiful to look at! I have not made it yet so please post a review if you get around to making it before I do. I wonder if you could substitute strawberries for the banans for a spring time dessert? Here is the recipe:

Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding
    Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
    Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 30 minutes
    Yield: 12 servings
    User Rating:

2 bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies
    6 to 8 bananas, sliced
    2 cups milk
    1 (5-ounce) box instant French vanilla pudding
    1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping thawed, or equal amount sweetened whipped cream
    Line the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch dish with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top.
    In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer. Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended. Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining cookies. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
    Episode#: PA1A08
    Michelle

Michelle this recipe has been discussed many times here. I made it and thought it was extremely good. Here is one link that shows some reviews and I am sure you will find others if you use the search engine.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...banana+pudding
    Maureen

"Trying to live the life I imagined"

oh yes. I think this could definitely be considered a BB favorite. I wouldn't use strawberries myself, since this is the ultimate banana pudding and I wouldn't want to change it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I agree that it's a wonderful bannana pudding and I also wouldn't alter it with strawberries but that's JMHO!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I've made this several times this summer for parties. Everyone just loves it! I wouldn't change it in any way either unless I could cut down on some calories!

Just so you'll know, banana pudding is a traditional Southern dessert, so using bananas in this wasn't a random choice. The banana pudding everyone grew up with is made with vanilla pudding, vanilla wafers, and sliced bananas. It is hands-down my father's favorite dessert, and it's what we had most frequently as dessert for Sunday dinner.

It's usually made in layers, like a trifle. For example, I would use a large box of vanilla (NOT banana) pudding mix (the cooked type, not instant). Then I'd put a layer of vanilla wafers in the bottom and one ring up the sides of a 2-qt souffle dish or similar. Top each wafer with a banana slice. Pour in half the pudding, then repeat with wafers, bananas, and the rest of the pudding. Whipped cream (or Cool Whip!) optional with each serving. So, what Paula has done, which is typical of her, is to take a basic traditional recipes and drastically pump up the sugar and fat content. (I don't think there is a dessert on earth Paula thinks can't be improved by the addition of cream cheese and/or condensed milk.)

Banana pudding is good served still very slightly warm, and at that point the wafers still have a little firmness. The longer it sits, the softer the wafers -- which is ALSO good, just different. Of course since you are using fresh bananas, it's something you want to eat within 12 hours or so of making it, else the bananas start to get dark.

So, could you make it with strawberries? Well, sure, and it would probably taste fine. But it wouldn't be "banana pudding!"

I have made this also and it was a bit too rich/sweet for my taste (and I have a huge sweet tooth,okay?)Don't get me wrong it was good but I don't think I'll ever make it again, plus it was the most expensive banana pudding I've ever made only to find out after making it for DBF's birthday he liked my version better
    I also could not imagine adding strawberries instead of bananas either, thats just my opinion...
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

Oh, yeah, I agree w/patissac on this issue, it's very, very good, stupefyingly sweet and rich!, but don't know that the cost can justify my making again over good ole basic Southern BP. I made it for a Christmas gathering using reduced fat ingredients just fine, and folks raved--if you decide to make it, I'll advise providing a spatula, not a big serving spoon, to get under those darn flat Chessmen on the bottom, a spoon just didn't work, people got a bit frustrated w/that, OR use the mini-Chessmen (if you can find them on sale maybe), they're more the size of the traditional vanilla wafers I think and might be easier for serving. I'm more partial to the 'baked' versions of banana pudding, myself, w/crispy meringue on top, warm out of the oven, sigh! But Not Yo Mama's is quite good, just pricey to make.

I make Paula Deen's banana pudding and like it a lot. But nothing can beat the southern traditional kind like Funniegrrl is talking about. Only my mom never used a mix, she made her own vanilla pudding from scratch. It is to die for when served slightly warm.

Paula's pudding isn't as good the next day, the chessmen cookies aren't as good when they absorb the pudding as vanilla wafers are. So I usually only make it when I'm taking it to some potluck or other. And I do try to use the mini-chessmen as they are easier to serve.
    Margaret

I've made this using the low fat or fat free versions of the ingredients called for and it was great. I always use light (1/3 less fat) cream cheese and fat free Cool Whip anyway and find they work well in any recipe. This pudding is rich and the lighter ingredients work w/o compromising on flavor.

Sorry -- I should have done a search first to see if this had been reviewed but I am glad to find out that it is worth making. I will make it with bananas the first time and then I just might get wild and crazy and do a strawberry version!
    Michelle

This recipe is our family's all-time favorite dessert.
    "I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb -- and I'm also not blonde."
    Dolly Parton

I'm not a big dessert person, especially if it doesn't involve chocolate , but I made this last year and loved it. I did use lower fat versions of the ingredients, and it was still very rich tasting and delicious. I can't imagine making it with other fruits, so I would make it with the bananas and see how you like it first.
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

I get requests from my family for this delicious dessert for every family gathering. I am going to make it for a church gathering in a couple of Sundays.

Originally posted by patissac
    I have made this also and it was a bit too rich/sweet for my taste (and I have a huge sweet tooth,okay?)Don't get me wrong it was good but I don't think I'll ever make it again
    I agree with you patissac. I do love banana pudding but have a recipe that I much prefer where the focus is on the wonderful homemade pudding - which is not so sweet.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous