Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! Lemon Extract vs Lemon Juice!

Help! Lemon Extract vs Lemon Juice!

I want to make the Lemon Pound Cake from CL May 2004,pg128.
    I have everything EXCEPT LEMON EXTRACT. I have lots of lemons, and I wonder if I could use lemon juice as well. How much lemon juice? Or should I use Lemon Yogurt and add a little vanilla into the batter

Here is the recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *

LEMON POUND CAKE

Recipe By :Cooking Light May 2004, pg 128
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cakes Pound Cakes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Cooking spray
    2 Teaspoons Unbleached flour
    1 Cup Unbleached flour
    1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
    2/3 Cup Sugar
    1/3 Cup Butter -- Softened
    2 Large Egg Whites
    1 Large Egg
    1 Teaspoon Lemon Rind -- Grated
    1 Teaspoon Lemon Extract
    1/4 Cup Vanilla Lowfat Yogurt

Preheat oven to 350 (325 convection)

Coat an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; dust with 2 teaspoons flour.

Combine 1 cup flour and baking powder, stirring with a whisk; set aside.

Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add egg whites and egg, beating well after each addition. Beat in rind and extract. Add flour mixture and 1/4 cup yogurt alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix well after each addition. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 (325 ) for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Yield:
    "8 Servings"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Curleytop

If it were me, I would probably increase the grated lemon rind up to a Tbsp. and add lemon juice (maybe a tbsp of that too) instead of the extract. I made the CL Lemon Biscotti using lemon extract, and I didn't think they tasted very lemony at all (I would have preferred more lemon flavor). If you don't want much of a lemony taste, but just a bare hint of it, you might not want to increase the amounts quite as much as I suggested. If you want more lemon flavor, adding the lemon yogurt instead of the vanilla might help. If you are going for a lot of lemon flavor, I would probably omit the vanilla. JMHO.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Lemon extract is going to be a lot stronger than lemon juice. If you have lemon yogurt, I would use that instead of the vanilla and use some grated lemon zest as well. You might be able to add a couple Tablespoons of lemon juice, but the recipe doesn't call for any liquids, so I wouldn't use more than that. Good Luck! - It sounds delicious!
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

I'd use the lemon yogurt also...
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

I wonder if you could reduce some lemon juice to intensify the flavor. Would that work? Sue