Community Message Boards

Thread: What is 10% cream?

What is 10% cream?

I did a search for this topic, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I want to make this dessert for my wife on Valentine's Day, but I do not know what 10% cream in the ingredients is referring to. I went to the store and see heavy cream and light cream...but am not sure which to choose.

Thanks for helping me out!

You probably know it as "half-and-half". It has 10% milkfat.

By the way, so sweet of you to be cooking for DW! I'm sure she'll LOVE it.

thanks! i actually cook quite often...the holidays are my treat. i also love to bake cookies, brownies (her fav), etc. she usually is busy with her hobbies (knitting, sewing, her website, etc). both of are masters students woring full-time, so we alternate the cooking throughout the week.

if interested, i can post the recipe here that i am looking to make. i got it from a from a mailing from a spa in Canada that i am hoping to take her for an extended weekend. was hoping that would be for v-day, but maybe her b-day instead as business travel has me out of town.

Here is the recipe copied directly from the email:

A Sweet Favourite: Crème Caramel

Tempt your loved one this Valentine's Day with this scrupmtious classic, adapted by Chef Christopher Ennew, C.C.C.

Ingredients:
    4 egg yolks
    2 whole eggs
    1 liter 10% cream
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp vanilla

Caramel:
    6-oz. sugar
    3-oz. water

Method:
    Carmel: Cook sugar until golden in color , add water and let cook 1 min. Pour into 12 ramikins and let harden while making custard.

Custard: Mix egg yolks, eggs, cream, sugar, vanilla together then pour into ramekins (on top of hardened sugar) Place filled ramikins into a water bath pan in the oven at 325F for l hour until firm. Place into fridge for 4 hours. To serve turn upside down on to a plate and let the sauce run on the plate. Garnish with fresh fruit.

Yumm! Thanks for the recipe! My DH loves caramel... maybe I'll make this for him, too!

Out of curiosity, what's the spa? Might be good to keep in my list of places to check out.

Ste. Anne's Country Inn & Spa
    A Haldimand Hills Spa
    Located just one hour east of Toronto
    in the countryside
    near the town of Grafton, OntarioFor reservations
    call 1.888.346.6772
    Outside of Canada or the US