Community Message Boards

Thread: Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce?

Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce?

I'm having some trouble finding chipotle peppers in adobo sauce!

Is this something I'm going to have to go to a specialty store for? Where do you all find this?

I tried two large supermarkets here in Baltimore, SuperFresh and Safeway. Neither of them carried the peppers!

I find them at a decidedly non-specialty warehouse store (Winco.) They're in the Mexican part of the ethnic aisle, near the dried peppers, canned menudo (sp?,) tortillias, etc. Hope you find them -- I love these things!
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

I am sorry you have had such a hard time finding them. I have always been able to find them in my normal grocery store, with the mexican style food. It is usually in a small can and on the top shelf. It could be easy to over look. Good luck finding them. If you have an area of the city that has a larger latin american population, you might try stores in that area. I live near a largely ethnic area so I hava quite a few options in my grocery stores.
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

Hi Mike,

You should be able to find them in the regular grocery store. I can usually find them here in Northern Virginia, though admittedly sometimes they can be difficult to find. Like Tamawrite said, they are usually in the ethnic section. Do you have Shoppers Food Warehouse up there. I can always find them there. The best brand is something like La Costena, it is in a small red can. I used to buy Goya but I read somewhere that the other brand is better.

Good luck. You'll be hooked. They add so much flavor to so many different kinds of dishes.

I live in NJ and the grocery store I normally go to doesn't stock it in the Mexican section. The store has a Goya section and I find mine there.

Good luck!
    Julie

Re: Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce?

Originally posted by MikeC
    Where do you all find this?
    When all else fails I order over the web...and sometimes it just helps to have a pciture of what you're looking for!

Mexican Grocer
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Our regular grocery store didn't have them either, so I ended up finding them at a local Hispanic store.
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

For years our local Kroger did not stock them. When WalMart moved to twon I was elated to finally be able to buy them - soon after, Kroger started to stock them

So, you might check a Walmart if any around you have the grocery section. They should be with the Mexican foods like others have said.

On the subject of chipotles....

I recently tried a suggestion from this board (sorry I don't remember who posted the tip ) to throw the whole can of chilis into the food processor and then freeze it in ice cube trays. This works SOOO fantastically!!! I don't end up wasting any and they are always on hand in the freezer!!
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

Mike -

Not sure where you are in the Balitmore area, but have you tried more than one Safeway? The thing that I have found about Safeway in this area is that each of them carry a different stock. If you are close to another Safeway, check there, I've been able to find them at a couple near where I live (Howard County). They are in the ethnic section, and sometimes very well-hidden amongst all the different items!

Khara

My local grocery store doesn't stock them, either. I end up going either to a health food store or to the Latino market in town. They both always have it. You might also see if you happen to have a "chile" shop in town. I just discovered a store in Ottawa called "Chilly Chiles", which specializes in all things chile-related. Hurray! www.chillychiles.com They ship all over Canada--might not be worth the hassle to USA.

Originally posted by KirstenL
    I just discovered a store in Ottawa called "Chilly Chiles", which specializes in all things chile-related. Hurray! www.chillychiles.com They ship all over Canada--might not be worth the hassle to USA.
    Kirsten,

Isn't Chilly Chiles awesome? I go there almost every time I'm in Ottawa, and get their mail-order catalogue.

Natasha
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

Re: On the subject of chipotles....

mike, i'm surprised you're having trouble finding them, too. all of our local supermarkets carry one brand or another, usually grouped with the various hispanic foods. our new walmart food section has them as well.

Originally posted by Missi
    I recently tried a suggestion from this board (sorry I don't remember who posted the tip ) to throw the whole can of chilis into the food processor and then freeze it in ice cube trays. This works SOOO fantastically!!! I don't end up wasting any and they are always on hand in the freezer!!
    that's a new one on me. what i do with mine is to put them into an 8-oz. Ball jar and just keep them in the fridge. they last for months that way, and if i have recipe that asks for a tsp. of sauce, for example, it's handy.
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

Found 'em!!

Thanks, everybody, for your suggestions! Khara, you were right on target -- I tried a different Safeway tonight, north of the city, and found them. Only 3 cans on the shelf, and I bought them all!

Let's see -- Drunken Beans and Beer, Chipotle Macaroni and Cheese...

Some projects for the weekend!

Re: Found 'em!!

Originally posted by MikeC
    found them. Only 3 cans on the shelf, and I bought them all!
    3 cans! they're used in such small amounts, that should last you a year! (be aware that they're mighty hot)
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

Yeah! Enjoy!

Khara

Lightbulb Make your own?

I know you found some canned already, but maybe the dried Chipotles are more available in your area. If so, you can make a simple adobo sauce for the dried Chipotles. Here is a recipe for Adobo sauce. I'm in San Diego so I can find both dried and canned varieties, but maybe the dried are more prevalent in some areas. Check where the rest of the dried chiles are kept in your markets. Sometimes there is even a separate "Mexican spices" display and that is where I find them.

Chipotles in Adobo Sauce
    7 to 10 medium-sized dried chipotle chiles, stemmed and slit lengthwise
    1/3 cup onion, cut in 1/2-inch slices
    5 tablespoons cider vinegar
    2 cloves garlic, sliced
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/4 teaspoon Salt

Combine all of the ingredients in a pan with 3 cups of water. Cover and cook over very low heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until the chilies are very soft and the liquid has been reduced to 1 cup. This recipe will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator in an airtight container.

For chipotle puree, place the cooked chipotles and sauce in a blender and puree. Put through a fine sieve to remove seeds. Makes 1 cup.
    Per Tablespoon: 9 calories, .3 gm protein, 3 gm carbohydrates, 0 gm fat, 0 gm saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 73 mg sodium.
    From "The Great Chile Book" by Mark Miller

thanks so much for the 'homemade' recipe. i'm definitely going to try this in a week or so (as soon as i locate some dried chipotles). it also strikes me that this would be a perfect recipe for a small (1 1/2-qt.) crockpot, which is how i think i'll approach it.

Aubergine wrote: "thanks so much for the 'homemade' recipe. i'm definitely going to try this in a week or so (as soon as i locate some dried chipotles). it also strikes me that this would be a perfect recipe for a small (1 1/2-qt.) crockpot, which is how i think i'll approach it"

I like the crock pot idea as well. Although you will have to reduce the amount of liquid in the recipe as there won't be any evaporation in the crock pot so the liquid won't reduce and thicken. So adjust accordingly or you could end up with a real thin sauce.

Aubergine,
    Thanks for the warning about the heat! In one recipe I'm looking at, the list of ingredients says "1 (7 oz) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce."

But then down in the instructions, I see that you really use only 1 tsp. of sauce and 2 of the chipotles.

When I glanced at the ingredients to do my shopping, I was thinking that the whole can went into the recipe!

With 3 cans on hand, I won't need to hunt for them again for a long, long time!

Mike, someone in my supper club read the directions for some baked beans she was making the same way you did - the ingredient list calls for a whole can. She didn't read the part further down in the instructions that said to remove one chili and reserve the rest for another use - so she DID dump the whole can into the beans!! Let me tell you, those were some MIGHT HOT beans!! Truly almost inedible. But it did make for a whole lot of laughing that night...