Community Message Boards

Thread: Interchanging yogurt and sour cream

Question Interchanging yogurt and sour cream

I frequently substitute fat free or light sour cream when a recipe call for plain yogurt, mainly because we almost always have sour cream on hand and I often don't see the point in buying the yogurt if I only need a 1/4 cup or so. Our dinner plans for tonight have changed, and we will now be at home. For some reason I am really craving cauliflower so I thought I might make the Curried Cauliflower recipe from CL. My only question is, would you sub sour cream for the yogurt? I have like 4 containers of sour cream at home because I got them for free with sales and coupons, so I'd like to use them at every chance I get, but I wasn't sure about subbing in this recipe.

What would you do? (Keep in mind, I need to go to the store anyway to buy the cauliflower)

Thanks!
    Kim

Here is the recipe:

Curried Cauliflower

Cooking the cauliflower covered releases enough liquid to steam it and creates a sauce with the spices, yogurt, and tomato.

2 teaspoons olive oil
    2 cups thinly sliced onion
    2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
    2 tablespoons Mild Curry Powder
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    10 cup cauliflower florets (2 medium heads)
    1 cup chopped seeded peeled tomato
    1 cup whole-milk yogurt
    1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro stems
    1 teaspoon salt
    8 lemon wedges (optional)
    Cilantro sprigs (optional)

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and ginger; cover and cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium. Add Mild Curry Powder and garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add cauliflower and next 4 ingredients (cauliflower through salt), stirring well to combine. Bring to a boil (yogurt will curdle); cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Serve with lemon wedges and cilantro sprigs, if desired.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

CALORIES 83 (29% from fat); FAT 2.7g (satfat 0.9g, monofat 1.2g, polyfat 0.4g); PROTEIN 4.4g; CARBOHYDRATE 12.9g; FIBER 4.3g; CHOLESTEROL 4mg; IRON 1.1mg; SODIUM 349mg; CALCIUM 79mg;
    Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 2003

The sour cream should be fine. A bit milder than yogourt maybe, but on the other hand, won't separate as yogourt occasionally does.
    fresh hot random! mad endeavour on vox
    Ask Palpatine: "Just because I'm the Dark Lord of the Sith doesn't mean you can't get to know me."